One (Hopefully) Final Update on the TB/Welsh Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bunnylady

Reaction score
Oh well, so much for theories! Who said, "feeling like an idiot is part of the job?"

I called my friend, and arranged to be there this morning at feeding time. I told her about how much the horse's behavior had changed. She told me that a girl who had looked at this horse about a month ago had called her back, and was very interested in taking her on trial. I wasn't told, but they arranged to make the move at feeding time, this morning.

Last night, I had tried a little experiment after feeding. When this horse was standing a couple feet away from me, I just thought "go away, horse." My posture changed ever so slightly, no person would have seen it, but this horse did. She immediately turned away and left.

A few minutes later, I thought "let's see if I can call her." So I walked over toward where she was eating hay. 12 feet away, she looked up. 10 feet away, I saw her shift her weight, and I stopped. Then I started backing up. One step, two steps, three steps, still nothing, so I dropped to one knee. Here she came!!
default_aktion033.gif

Evidently, I was just too intimidating standing up. My mini mule taught me that some time ago, I don't know why I didn't think about it with a "big." That might explain why she always turned away, too. I thought I was "speaking softly," but it wasn't quite soft enough.
default_wacko.png

This morning, when we all got to the barn, we found that the QH mare had somehow gotten into the backyard with this girl. The two of them were as cozy as old chums. Everybody remarked on how much calmer the Welsh was. Then my friend chirped, " Maybe all she needed was a buddy!" :arg!
default_gaah.gif
default_frusty.gif

Now, she's my friend, and I love her, but sometimes, she can be so dense! Yes, the QH was a big part of it, but these two had been neighbors for a month and this "friendship" had only developed in the last week! All the thought and effort I'd put into making this girl's life more rational, making her comfortable enough to forge a friendship instead of run and fight, and this is the thanks I get? I don't know, some people have all the subtlety of a jackhammer!

Anyway, it turns out the previous owner kept her in a pasture with other horses (so much for "poorly socialized") and got rid of her mostly because she was so impossible to deal with on the ground. The fear of being trapped in the stall may only have been the result of my friend's hamfisted attempts at handling this horse. She has said she just doesn't get along with TB's, I think I know why! The horse is trained for jumping, and jumps like a dream, it's just that she races through the course (did someone hear me say "trust issues" again?)

I told the prospective owner about what I had seen in this horse, and about my little experiment last night. She nodded several times, so I think she understood what I was talking about, even if my friend didn't.

So the horse is at yet another barn, where (please God!) maybe someone who truly understands her can deal with her. I'm feeling a bit foolish, but hey, I'll get over it. I decided several days ago that the really important thing wasn't knowing the exact cause, it was doing the right thing and getting the right result (which I was.) It has been an education, and a priviledge, to have had an opportunity to "play" with this animal, and I have learned a lot. I made my friend promise that, IF this horse comes back (and I hope for her sake that she doesn't,) that she will let me take care of her, or at least let me teach her how to take care of her, who knows, maybe my friend will eventually become a "real" horsewoman, rather than just someone who plays with horses!

How long has your friend been into horses? Maybe she knows quite a bit but just wasn't really vested in this mare.

Her family had horses when she was a child, she's now 50-ish, I don't think she has had them continuously but I'm not sure how large the gap may be. She loves push-button horses, but seems at a loss about what to do with the ones that don't work that way. Her answer to a problem is to ramp up the pressure, never to ask "why is this happening? Might there be a different way of dealing with this?" She has gotten a few horses that had obvious problems with conformation (legs, mostly) that she has tried to teach to jump. I once watched her being dissed left, right, and sideways by a mini-sized Shetland gelding, and she was completely clueless about how to correct him. Her answer was to put him back in the pasture (and he practically dragged her to the gate!)
default_wacko.png
She called a farrier out to trim the feet of a 5-month old filly that had never had her feet picked up, nor taught to stand, or lead, or anything. She had had this filly since birth, so she knew this filly had no training.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back