? on hot water heater size for wash stall

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elizabeth_S

Reaction score
We're in the process of building a new barn and I'm curious as to what size hot water heater I may need. How many gallons do you have and do you find it large enough for your needs? Thanks so much!

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a 20 gallon, but sometimes I wish it was bigger. Most of the time there's plenty of hot water, but if I'm washing 3 or 4 or 5 horses right before taking them to a show, I sure could use more.

Rita

I have a 40 gallon and if you are washing more than one horse at a time, I would definitely go with that size or larger.

I have always wondered why people want a hot water heater. If the water is already hot, why heat it.

:bgrin :bgrin :bgrin

That said, here is my reasoning.

I have a 30 gallon water heater. It wastes a lot of electricity keeping 30 gallons of water hot for 99% of the time that I don't need it. When I do need it, it's good for about 1 1/2 horses. So, when it craters I plan to replace it with an "on demand" water heater. I'll probably go with the 220 volt one. It's more expensive but heats better. Since the horses really don't need a steaming shower it will be adequate.

default_smile.png

Lol Al.

We thought about the on demand heater as well, but have heard so many mixed reviews that we thought we'd go with a traditional heater. Unfortunately, we don't know anyone who has one we could check out. Have you ever used one Al?

It wastes a lot of electricity keeping 30 gallons of water hot for 99% of the time that I don't need it.
Just for the record, I shut mine off at the breaker when I'm not using it. I only have it on when I am bathing horses. That works well for me.

We're in the process of building a new barn and I'm curious as to what size hot water heater I may need. How many gallons do you have and do you find it large enough for your needs? Thanks so much!
If I were starting from scratch I would look into an on demand water heater (they are propane), my sister put one in her house and it is so cool also a barn I worked at had one you never run out of hot water. They cost a bit more up front BUT they are pretty efficient and it sure is nice to not run out of hot water ever
default_wink.png
:

I have a 30 gal and can wash 4 horses without running out of hot water. My dad installed it for me and put in a special "flip the arm" type breaker box just for the hot water heater. I turn it on the day before I need it(really only needs a few hours) and keep it off when I don't. We also made it so we can drain the water line going to the hot water heater easily; which I do in the winter when I'm not using it so it doesn't freeze.

We have a 40 gallon hot water heater. It is hooked up to a seperate gas tank, so when not in use we just shut it off at the heater in the wash area. I love mine, we are on a well and the water is freezing cold even in the summer so the hot water heater is nice.

Thank you all for the input. We're still going back and forth, maybe someday soon we'll make up our minds so we can get on with it already. lol

Latest posts

Back