omolene feeds

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leigha

Reaction score
I don't have many options but I can get all the omolene's at my local feed store. What is everyones take on this? Right now I'm feeding an alfalfa grass mix. My mare is 2 years old and wasn't provided all the nutrients at the start of her life. Not sure if I should do some catch up on the nutrition side or just start now.

You can't really play catch up, all you can do is feed her right from now on.

Since she is 2 years old, I'd go with the Omolene 100 or 200, I don't think I'd go with a richer formula; perhaps start her with the 200, then in the spring change her over to the 100 (unless you plan to start training her for something so she needs the extra nutrition/calories provided by the 200). I would start slowly, so as to not overload her system. I don't feed Purina products, so I don't know the recommended amounts, but I'm pretty sure Purina now has feeding charts on-line that include how much to feed miniatures (if its not on the bag).

I have fed omolene feed. However I am not a fan of sweet feed. Even though it is a finer sweet feed, I believe you are better served by a low starch, low sugar formula for minis. What other feeds do you have access to?

I will have to goto the feed store and make a list of everything we have avaliable. The other feed stores are at least an hour away so I would like to stick to local.

I fed Purina Omelene for years. My horses were fine on it. Its not garbage, its a nice high end food if you like sweet feed. I only changed over to other Purina products because I became worried of founder between my lush pastures and the sugar in the sweet feed. I'd go ahead and feed the Omelene 200 to her if that is your only option. Best wishes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I feed Omolene 300 to our weanlings, I also have a 4yr old shetland gelding on the Oml 300 as he is a really hard keeper and that is putting a nice bloom, shine and tone on him. The rest of our horses eat Purina Horsemans Edge 12%.

Omolene is a great product, I think you would do best going with the 200.

I too have always been an Omolene fan.. we do not have pasture here at all. I have also used the complete Equine Feeds - Jr, Sr, etc... and have been happy with those too. Perhaps if they carry this brand and dont have what you need, they could order it for you?

I'm sure they would special order...that's one of the best things about living in a small town. For the most part we have wonderful green bramuda grass a great part of the year including flood irrigating from mid may till mid october. Right now she's not getting much work since I have to halter train her. She's moved from an itty bitty pen to the arena now that she will let me catch her. I've been messing with her at dinner feeding time so she's pretty used to me now thank goodness. She's turned out on grass about once a week. Will be more often once fences are repaired.

Latest posts

Back