OMG!!! Friends at Never Ending Ranch in Canada came close!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimie28

Reaction score
My dear friend Kelly said last night her husband Aarron was on his way back from dropping 4 horses off and bringing 2 horses back when he hit a full size moose on the highway! Nobody injured and horses are ok but apparently it totaled the trailer and won't know about their new truck they have had less then 6 months till tomorrow. Said the trailer on the side that hit the rock wall had peeled apart like a tin can and the axle came throught the floor! AMAZING the 2 horses were ok, just shook up really bad.

WOW.....just had to share and sooooo glad everybody and the horses are ok!

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy crap! Glad everyone, human and horse, are ok!! I've been in a car that hit a deer, can't imagine hitting a moose!
default_new_shocked.gif

OMG - how scary! Thank God he and the horses are OK. Where was he when he hit the moose?

We are happy that the people and horses were not injured! Our trailer can be replaced and hopefully the truck can be fixed! It happend just south of North Bay Ontario. Thank goodness for great friends too! Debbie Scriven's Mom Heather hooked up the trailer and went 2.5 hours to pick them up and put them up for the night and then our great friend Linda Reinders from Equine Xpress Transport made the long 7 hour drive up there to bring them home! Its been a long stressful weekend for sure!

Lots of people stopped at the scene also to lend a hand and to help keep the horses calm. Thanks everyone for thinking of us. And thanks Kim for keeping me calm via phone!!

Seeing that it was my horse's Aaron brought up and mine he was taking back down with him.
default_new_shocked.gif

I just want to say a HUGH THANK YOU AARON!!! Quick reactions and calm driving saved both human and animal life!
default_aktion033.gif

As for the two horse's after a lengthy go over both are amazinly fine and back with there buddys.

(I even took them to see if they would trailer or if they would be too afraid and both just jumped in the trailer with out question!)
default_wub.png

And Kelly, now that they are home GET SOME SLEEP!!!

Thank goodness everyone was okay. It must have been scary though. Sounds like you have some good friends and some good people helping you out.

I spoke with Kelly on the phone last night and we are sure glad that all are ok. Kelly always has a great sense of humor and makes me laugh. Bless all of you and take care Frannie

I am so glad and thankful that everything turned out the way it did, could have been a far different story. Good job Aaron!!!!!

OMG thank God he and the horses are OK! WHEW! What a scary thing to go through!

I'm glad your babies are fine Sis
default_wub.png

First let me say I'm soo glad it ended the way it did. Those critters are HUGE! I was in Alaska driving down the highway in a little opel station wagon when one stepped out on the road right in front of me. Thank God I stopped but all I could see was legs. That alone was scary enough for me.

Second, no one else asked so I will. How is the Moose?
default_biggrin.png

As friends of Kelly and Aaron I was not comfortable until Aaron and the horses were home last night.

Every accident is different, but in this case it should be noted that the two horses in the trailer were not tied.

Aaron felt that had they been tied this may have had a different outcome.

I am so glad to hear about the people stopping to help. I had not heard about that. I think it is wonderful that people put their lives on hold to help others in need. It is hard to take care of so many things at once and with animals involved, just too scary.

I bet you both slept well last night!

We are blessed, We had lots of calls from concerned friends and we appreciate every one of them.

And yes Joanne it should be mentioned that the horses were not tied, they were in the front of the trailer behind a wall divider loose. Aaron says that if they had been tied they would have most likely choked to death as the trailer ended up on a very weird angle. It is somewhat like seatbelts with people, you never really know in which case they will be a lifesaver or in which case they will not be. The horses were of course scared and shaking at the begginning but people petting them and talking to them calmed them right down. and I think it was a miracle they didnt even have a scratch!

I think it is every horse persons nightmare to have an accident involving their horses and we feel very lucky!

Thanks everyone for the concern and well wishes, it really does help!

Aaron says yes those Moose are HUGE and they are very TALL! And the poor thing had to be shot, sad outcome for the Moose. I dont even like seeing a dead racoon on the road so I am glad I wasnt there!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Having had a severe trailer accident at 60 mph in November of 2008, I can well imagine what they went through!
default_new_shocked.gif
I am so glad that everyone came out unhurt (except the poor moose, of course) and that they had so many caring friends. The horses may have a bit of a delayed reaction- my Kody hopped right back in to go home from the scene but has been reluctant to load since then and isn't nearly as happy-go-lucky about hauling as he was. Poor guy.
default_sad.png
Took me awhile to get over it too!
default_rolleyes.gif

The tied-vs-not-tied thing is a tough one. Kody was hauling alone, untied, inside a wooden trailer box insert and came out unhurt but all the shavings were flung up against the rear door so I can only imagine how hard he must have hit it himself. He could have easily broken his neck or fractured his skull. On the other hand if he'd been tied he could have twisted his neck being flung past the tie ring and broken it that way, or hung from it and choked if we'd overturned. I don't know which is best and I did not have my trailer cam at the time so I can't tell you what happened to him during the accident. Needless to say, I'm not repeating it to experiment!
default_new_shocked.gif
Neither of my boys likes being restricted to narrow stalls when hauling but I wonder sometimes if I'm doing them any favors letting them have a larger area to be flung around in.

The one thing I have decided is that good padding is important!
default_laugh.png
Their winter hair is sufficient if they have it but when clipped they ship in fluffy padded blankets in spring/fall or with well-padded walls in summer. I'm still considering the issue of shipping boots.
default_unsure.png

I think if Kody had been in a narrow slant stall he would simply have been flung against the padded wall and held safely until it was over, which seems better to me then having been flung across the length of the trailer. There's really no way to know though and each situation is different. I'm so glad no one was hurt in your accident!

Leia

Back