older mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know that there's a set age. I'd be interested in foaling history and "all things being equal" (as if they ever are), I might favor an older mare w/ a consistent and recent foaling history over a younger one who had not foaled in the past 5yrs.

I bought a mare last year that was 19. She has had a foal almost every year with no problems. That said this year she had a dystocia. But we are sure that was because the foal died in utero.
default_sad.png

But she is back in foal again now for next year.

Here is Candy last Fall at the age of 19 and had been nursing a foal.

candy14.jpg
she if proof of the fact that older mares can certainly hold their own.

Yes, Cretahillsgal, that mare is beautiful!
default_yes.gif

I don't have a whole lot of experience with older mares; the mares I've had in the past that I wasn't planning on keeping I sold at younger ages. Besides our 27 year old mare, the rest are relatively babies.
default_smile.png
The next oldest are just 15, and the two that are that age are here for life, whether they produce any more foals or not. One just had a foal this year so I don't think they are done yet, but it doesn't matter one way or the other to me. I would buy an older mare if I felt she could contribute to my program. The 27 year old we got when she was 21 and she was bred and had one (very beautiful) foal for us at age 22, and then was retired. She still cycles but I felt it was best that she retire and let her enjoy her golden years. She babysits the weanlings each year. She gets the run of the barn during the day in the summer so that she has undisputed access to lots of shade, and she gets her soaked feed twice day. In the evening when it cools off she goes out to pasture with the mares and foals, and last night when I turned her out I saw the foals crowding around her wanting to exchange back scratches. Nice life.
default_smile.png

I do not have much time to read Lilbeginings lately with the move coming up in one week. :arg! but, I read this and had to reply too. I bought a multi AMHA World Grand Champion producer when she was 18. At that time she was in foal. (had a colt, of course), I bred her to my stallion who was a son of the stallion who produced those World Grand Champions got another colt, But boy what a colt. She is now 23, her son is 2. She slipped a foal last winter, and is hopefully in foal again. But even if she never has another foal, she has earned a good retirement. She is coming with me to Florida.
default_smile.png

Old broodmares are worth their weight in gold!

Last edited by a moderator:
its been very interesting listening to your views , I posted the same qustion on an english forum and I got a very mixed response , most of them seem to retire their mares at 15-18 years so they didnt have much experince , one person said that older mares can be slow to cleanse ... has anyone else heard that ? part of me really wants her because she is such a gorgeous mare and I know that crossed with my boy it would produce something very special but the other part of me feels that I am being greedy and selfish to continue breeding her but if I dont buy her then chances are someone else will and so she will still continue to breed , at least if she was with me she would never leave here and would have a safe and permanent home

I seem to be turning into a broodmare assisted living farm. Or will be, in a few more years!
default_biggrin.png
I love my older mares! They have been there and done that and know what to do about it.
default_yes.gif
I just bought an 18 yr old mare a couple weeks ago and love her dearly! Great mare! I plan to get many foals from her. Even if I dont, she's here for life, along with the rest of the older mares. I really enjoy my 'old' girls!

I added a 17 yr old mare to my little group this past winter. She has the refinement, class and quality I want in my herd. A beautiful mare! I know she foaled in 2010, so I was very comfortable adding her as a broodmare. She is currently in foal for 2012 to Redrock Magic Maker. I plan to breed her next year to Lucky Four Santa Fe So Impressive, my up and coming young stallion. Can't wait to see these foals!
default_yes.gif

Latest posts

Back