older mares

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

supaspot

Reaction score
if you were buying a broodmare what is the maximum age you would consider ?

Wouldn't let age deter me.

Now, I might give less money for an older mare.

What would bother me more would be a barren mare, especially if she had been barren for a while.

Dr Taylor

The age itself, excluding young mares, doesn't have much to do with "safely" breeding in my opinion. Overall health and reproductive history are what I care about. I LOVE broodmares in their late teens and early 20s. Experience is everything. They are worth their weight in gold to me.

I would be more interested in the condition of the mare and her foaling history.

Some young mares can look very old, while many older mares are in great condition.

I have been offered the chance of an 18 year old mare , she currently has a foal at foot and I ve been told she has produced 7 foals , I did wonder why there wasnt more , I do really like her but am concerned that she might not get in foal again and I could end up keeping her for the next ten years with no foal , I d be happy for her to retire here but I cant afford to spend money on a mare that wouldnt produce at least a couple of foals

I have seen current pics and although she is overweight she appears to be full of life , you would never believe shes an older lady

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a pic of just one of our older mares! She's in excellent health at 19 years old! This pic was taken last week in one of our dry lots! She still produces quality foals every time we breed her! Give a big hand to-
default_aktion033.gif

NFCS Peppys Buttercup aka (Peggy Sue) Daughter of Bond Peppy Power!!! She's had several foals for us unassisted!

Bill

DSC02347.jpg

The mares accurate foaling history and current health would be a deciding factor for me.

I've bought mares that were 16-18 before, and it is a consideration on retiring them (keep them find them a retirement home, etc).

I do know mares that foal well into their 20's though (we have our Rowdy daughter bred for 2012 - but she's a lifer here so open or not is fine).

As for only having seven foals, depending on how often she was bred and her full history you can't make a determination. A mare that was 18 and had only had one or two without good reason (never bred, etc.)I would have concern about.

default_saludando.gif
I have a mare that is 16yrs old and is in foal with my first foal ever but she has had lots of foals and i have to maiden mares age 4 not in foal and iam more relaxed about her having a foal then my 2 maidens GO THE OLDIES

As I said before I LOVE older mares. The oldest I've personally had foal out was 25 and she did it unassisted while we were at the hospital with another foal born hours before at 284 days. We got home and remembered "on no! What about Puddin?" And there she was in the stall with her perfectly dry filly, just nursing away! She's now 29 and nearing the time for tough decisions, but she stayed healthy and producing til the very end in my opinion. I believe she's produced about 15-16 foals that were registered. There may be mote that weren't.

Overall health and reproductive history are what I care about. I LOVE broodmares in their late teens and early 20s. Experience is everything. They are worth their weight in gold to me.
I agree with Parmela.
default_yes.gif

I agree with the above......An experienced broodmare in her teens is a GOLD MINE. Minis can live up to age 30 +/-, depending on how well they were treated through the years.

This is our 20 yr old mare ( who we have had since she was 5)with her foal from this year. She is well and happy and, like many others here, I would be more than happy with an older mare as their experience is invaluable.The number of foals she has had is not necessarily relevant. This mare has only had 8 foals in her lifetime, but that was our choice as we do not breed our mares every year, believing as we do in quality not quantity. Oh, and 7 of those 8 have gone on to be Champions in their own right.As Dr Taylor says though, it would influence the price I was prepared to pay.

1.8.11 017.JPG

thankyou all for your imput , a friend checked the records for me and she has 8 recorded foals plus this years filly foal at foot so that is nine foals , she seems to be in great health and full of beans , she is a very beautiful mare and I feel much happier about buying her now that Ive heard your experiences , if I could get one or two foals by my stallion from her I would be happy to retire her here , her price is quite strong for her age ..but I will make her an offer
default_biggrin.png

She could have a few foals left yet, we have two 19 year old mares that had awesome babies this year and a 25 year old that we thought was done since she hasn't foaled for a few years. We had turned her out with her son for company with the thought that we would be thrilled with a foal should that happen and boy are we ever thrilled with the resulting filly!! She is the best we have ever produced!!! I have her pics on facebook, will put them here later when I can get them on our server. The three mares all look great and even though it is late in the year we plan to go ahead and repeat the breedings, after all, what does it really matter when they foal? We will not show babies even though Judy is itching to show this filly, something she never likes to do because of the stress, but oh, she is wonderful.

We feel as long as the mares are in good shape and health we will keep on with them, but should that change they will retire and live out their lives in comfort, they have earned it with the babies they had this year!!

I have had several mares produce foals into there 20s. that being said if you look at there production history you might have the same questions you do about this mare as I seldom breed back a mare with foal at foot so most of my mares are producing every other year esp now when the market is slow. I have a mare that is 32 this year, she is still cycling and in good health, had her last foal at 24 and I retired her...if she had her way she would still be having babies I am sure!! She gets to play granny now though and weans all the youngsters.

I bought a mare last year that was 19. She has had a foal almost every year with no problems. That said this year she had a dystocia. But we are sure that was because the foal died in utero.
default_sad.png

But she is back in foal again now for next year.

Here is Candy last Fall at the age of 19 and had been nursing a foal.

candy14.jpg

The older experienced mares are worth their weight in gold. If you have a long term plan for her - I'd say go for it. I just hate to see people dump them when they hit 20-21. My old ladies retire here or to a retirement (non-breeding home) - they deserve it for what they've contributed IMHO.

The older experienced mares are worth their weight in gold. If you have a long term plan for her - I'd say go for it. I just hate to see people dump them when they hit 20-21. My old ladies retire here or to a retirement (non-breeding home) - they deserve it for what they've contributed IMHO.

oh I so agree !!! I would never sell a mare that age
default_sad.png

I don't know that there's a set age. I'd be interested in foaling history and "all things being equal" (as if they ever are), I might favor an older mare w/ a consistent and recent foaling history over a younger one who had not foaled in the past 5yrs.

Latest posts

Back