Oklahoma people that have been having trouble

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MBennettp

Reaction score
First of all, thanks to Jan (Multihitch) for passing my phone number on.

We have finally found a farrier that knows how to trim the minis and how to do corrective work on the ones that need it. They are also reasonably priced and do big horse trims too, that means that if you have both, you no longer have to have multiple farriers in order to get them all taken care of.

The farrier was at my farm at 8 a.m. yesterday and did 6 of my horses. They were able to correct a lot of the damage done to 2 of the horses that were incorrectly trimmed the last time and will be back in 4 weeks to do a little more correction on those 2.

I am VERY pleased. This is the only farrier that I have had in the last year that actually knew what they were doing and didn't rush to trim and move on.

This farrier watched each horse walk before starting and then determined what needed done to each before starting. They also explained each thing that they were doing and why. They were good to the horses and showed a lot of patience with the ones that were acting less than perfect. They didn't quick any of them.

My little mare with the bad leg is hardly twisting at all as of last night and I am sure will be even better after the next trim.

Just wanted to share the good news! Feel free to pm me if you need a good farrier and you are in Oklahoma or north Texas.

Mary

Good news Mary. I lost your email address when my computer crashed. (Good news on the farrier, not losing your email address or my computer crashing.) Please email me with the information.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's great Mary, and that is the kind of farrier we all wish we had access to all the time, especially if you have a horse with "problem feet" such as my Sonny. Not just any farrier is clever enough to know how to trim him. A good farrier is hard to come by anywhere. We just bought our own tools for the minis and started doing our own. Jerry's always done the foals but now we are doing everyone.

In your neck of the woods also is Julie Miller, forum member R3 (R3minis.com) who is a good friend of mine. She doesn't call herself a farrier, but that is because she is modest about it, but she knows her stuff. Usually about once a year she show up for a visit when she passes through and trims all my minis and corrects whatever problems she sees. She also is an expert on trimming foundered horses and has a wonderful theory and method that helps those with foundered horses in a huge way. She's over due for a visit up here so I hope to hear from her soon.

I'm using the same lady farrier and her apprentice/partner. I'm THRILLED with her! I met her at the Ada show and had her trim one driving horse. She made a HUGE difference in the way he was moving, so we asked her to come out to the training stable and do everyone.

I couldn't possibly be happier. She put what she calls "minimal rocker feet" on all of the driving horses, and EVERY SINGLE ONE is moving better - more extention, more lift, more hock. (And she said that if we liked how they were moving, next time she can do a bit more and make them even BETTER! Just in time for NATIONALS!!) She straightened up a couple of halter horses that were off slightly, trimmed a couple of full-size riding horses for us, and evaluated a colt that another farrier had injured. She was right on the money with her evaluation. We showed him to the vet a couple of days later, and he pinpointed the EXACT SPOT where she had said the injury was.

We have a client's mare and foal there, too, and the baby didn't receive adequate immunity from her dam, so we're being very careful to keep her away from the other horses and to not let anyone handle her who has been to another farm with different germs than she's used to. Dawn volunteered to soak all of her equipment in clorox water the night before, to help insure she wouldn't bring any "bugs" that baby could catch.

How many farriers would go to that much trouble?

I cannot recommend Dawn enough. I am TERRIFIED of new farriers, since I've had so many bad experiences, but she is everything she claims to be and more. She's now my new farrier, hands down. She'll even be trimming my 34 year old QH with coffin bone rotation and arthritis in her shoulders. Dawn was so good to her, so patient, letting her set her foot down whenever she needed to for comfort and not picking it up more than a few inches off the ground.

She'll be doing all my horses from now on.

Pat Elder

Rosa Roca Training Stable

Oklahoma City, OK

rosaroca.net

I had her do 2 of mine at the Ada show and she is willing to travel to AR if anyone is interested.

Shelley<><

Mary and Pat are just echoing the experiences of several OK mini folk who have

called on Dawn and her partner. :aktion033: This is one wonderful farrier and a truly caring

animal person. It is just too bad that she can't go everywhere, she is needed.

I would like to thank Mary, Pat, Shelly, and Linda for the great compliments (you guys dont want my head to fit threw the door do you :bgrin )

Im the new farrier that they are talking about. alittle about me:

I just moved here from SD and my partner Dan just moved from OR. I have been doing farrier work for about 20 years and i am loving working with all the minis that i have so far come across and hope to meet many more. I am fun loving and do do this work for the animal. I am very careful about the minis and ponies cause if my clients win then I do.

i will be at the nationals and also will be the farrier for the world in Ft. Worth

come up to say Hi to me.

if you have any questions go ahead and PM me i will try to answer them as quick as possible

and thanks again for the compliments im glad i could help

dawn

Hi Dawn, Noticed a new member from Ada..........and low and behold its the farrier lady.....remember I am the only one that is not a long distance phone call :bgrin Still planning on giving u a hollar, I guess I better hurry you are getting so popular you may have trouble fitting me in! Welcome neighbor! E-mail me anytime!

Nancy

Just wanted to say thanks for posting this topic. Dawn is now going to be coming to East Texas! Yeah! I am thrilled and cant wait to finally get a decent trim back on my minis. I am still trying to fix what the last farrier did. It is going to be so nice knowing I wont have to go out and "fix" them. See ya soon Dawn!

Latest posts

Back