Oklahoma City Fire Report

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlotte

Reaction score
Even though these words are so totally inadequate I want to thank everyone who called, emailed or posted and offered any help we might need and prayers for safety for us and for all of those in the path of these fire storms.

‘Someone’ was watching over us. The fire burned everything east of us for a solid mile…to within 60 feet of our barn. On the west if you go down 3 houses (5 acre tracts) everyone had fire up to their house’s foundation. Barns burned. 800-900 feet east of us 4 large homes burned and many barns. All of these places had horses…I don’t know their fate. Cattle are dead in the pasture across the road from our pasture. Ash and charred leaves cover the ground here. This fire burned a path 5-6 miles long and ½ to 1 mile wide through a very populated semi rural area…..big horse country.

From the time we realized there was fire until we were totally evacuated was less than one hour with the police very aggressively telling us to get out NOW! And to not go back for anything…as I ran back to the barn for more horses.

And when you need help you can trust that your miniature friends will be right there. Sister Becky Schulz and friend Viki Carson, who left work, went home and hooked trailer and was here in what seemed like about 5 minutes although I know that would be impossible. She arrived just as we put the last horse on our trailer, as she pulled out with mares & foals here came Becky’s big rig and a lady I don’t even know her name ran up and was helping ferry horses from barn to trailer. She jogs on the road alongside our pasture and loves the little horses. Police were yelling at her to go evacuate her home!

Many phone calls came with offers to bring trailers, but there was no time.

After sitting at Becky’s for 2 hours with all 20 horses on the trailers we found out about Red Rock Stable just ¼ mile from Becky and Viki’s places. Dee Corley said she could take 100 horses. When we arrived there she had about 5-6 permanent boarders. By the next morning she had over 60 horses, many dogs and some goats. We saw horses being led across I-35 bridges and down very busy streets being taken to safety. Our feed store set out hay bales for us as we had nothing to feed the horses, no buckets, no anything. Our vet called Becky to check on our status.

We are back home now. The trailer is staying hitched until we feel it is safe to park it. You never know how much you miss having a tooth brush until you don’t have one!

Oh no. As I sit here fire truck just went by sirens blaring. :eek:(

So thank you. All of you and please keep praying.

Charlotte, I am so relieved to see you post! What an awful event to go through and you are so blessed to have such wonderful family and friends. I will continue to keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers and truly hope you get some rain.

I can't imagine how terrifying it must be. Fire scares me more than any other disaster. So glad you and your animals made it. Praying for everyone involved.

I'm so glad you have Becky and others close enough to help you! We wouldn't have had anyone and it scares me to death!

It's the hard work of the firefighters, and BLESSINGS that you didn't lose your place THANK GOD!

I know it's been a nightmare for all of you. I can't tell you how glad I am that you, your horses & home are safe Charlotte.

PRAY FOR RAIN!!!!!!!!

I can tell you that the firefighters worked diligently through the day, night, next day and night and beyond. Firefighters from many surrounding communities came to help with the fight. The National Guard helicopters were called in and they dumped many thousands of gallons of water on the fires. Without them, many more homes and property would have been lost. Kudos to all of them!

And I must say, without out local news continuous coverage of the fires, we would not have known as much about the location of these fires and what they were doing as we did. They did an outstanding job of covering this disaster!

Charlotte, your post was frightening to just read. I can only imagine what it must have like to experience....My heart goes out to those around you who suffered losses, but thank God you were spared and had so much support!

And when I say "Thank God"... I mean it literally. You are blessed.

Charlotte, I am so glad you and Frank are safe as well as all your animals. Debbie Goad

So thankful you are all safe- been praying for you all.

Bless Becky and Viki, and all the people who helped evacuate and fight the fire. The pictures and coverage on TV looked horrible.......almost like the little cedar trees were exploding with fire and the wind whipping the smoke and flames. Terrifying to think what could have happened to you and Frank who care so deeply for your horses, and animals.

Know that Aaron and I feel deeply for you and send peaceful blessings that all will be calm and cooler weather prevail soon.

Frank and Charlotte - we are sooo relieved that you guys are all OK and your home was spared. I can't imagine the stress of not knowing if it was still standing or not. Prayers continue as you are able to settle back in and for those that were affected.

Charlotte and Frank,

I am so relieved that you and yours escaped harm.

Wildfires are so terrifying, as they can change directions and move into your area in the blink of an eye. I read your story with my heart in my throat, fists clenched, nerves on edge. I am so glad that you had good friends and the ability to stay calm until you got everybody out.

I'm glad to read that you'll keep your trailer hitched and at the ready for now, but I so hope you won't need it.

Take care!

susanne

Charlotte, I'm glad to see your post! So glad that your farm and animals were spared, and very sorry for your neighbors who lost everything! We saw some of the pictures on the news. It makes me think that I don't have a halter for every horse here.............if I had to move them all at one time!! I may need to make sure that I have enough halters in case of an emergency such as yours.

Hugs to you and those who jumped in and helped.

Pam

Thank God and the Angels he sent to help you that you are safe and sound.

Charlotte,

We are glad that you and Frank were spared from that fire! We were watching the reports and updates all night! Thank God for helpfull friends and family!

We know first hand how scary this can be! But, instead of fire it was flooding here! We never know what "Mother Nature" will throw at us!

Bill & Wanalynn

Charlotte, I don't know what I can say that has not already been said, except that you have been on my heart and I have been praying for your safety. When we see so much devastation all around us, it makes us realize how blessed we are. I'm so thankful God has spared you and your property. I'm sure it was a terrifying experience.

I'm sooo glad to see your post, Charlotte! I was keeping up with you through Carlene. What a nightmare! It made me realize also that I don't have a halter ready for each horse in case of an emergency like that, so I'll be putting names on halters! You obviously didn't have time to be picking through a pile of halters for one that would fit! I'm glad you're all safe and sound, and you still have a house and barn!

Back