Okla. Dentist Arrested yesterday

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you know you are doing a felony, you need to either fight to make it legal, get an exception, or expect to get arrested if you continue. That's just common sense! This dentist should have known it was a risk, and if he accepted that risk, so be it.
Nathan, all true of course. They are fighting to get it changed in many states. What you may not be taking into consideration - and I can only really speak for Texas, since I don't know the specifics in other states - is that here they have not changed the law for nearly 100 years, merely the Vet Boards interpretation of that law. Equine dentists have been practicing LEGALLY here for years, only to suddenly have the rug jerked out from under them because someone who doesn't really understand the ramifications of his actions decided that only vets - with much less dental training - were competent to do the work.

You are fortunate to have so many skilled vets near you. Many are not. You know that a majority of vets do not receive in depth dental training, would you have someone in Texas or Montana or wherever use a vet with no specialty training & perhaps no real interest in doing teeth, over a non-vet with training, tools and years of professional experience? Again, common sense comes in to play and I don't think you would. I know of only one or two vets in my area- one in particular - who specialize in equine dental work. She's great, I use her for my big horses - but she's also 2 or 3 times the price, and uses heavy sedation I find unnecessary in the majority of minis. Common sense is looking better and better.
default_smile.png

No one is judging the way you manage your horses, but you might cut the rest of us a little slack.
default_smile.png

Jan

My vet has not done any dentistry on my horses, but he has on my friends' horses. He doesn't do it without sedation and charges an arm and a leg. Of course, it is not his specialty. He also uses instruments for big horses.

On the other hand, Carl floated my horses' teeth earlier this year. I was amazed watching him. No sedation, gentle on the horses, very quick and precise and they never put an ear back. I didn't have to wait for any sedation to wear off before I could take them the two hours home. Also, it didn't cost me a fortune. As far as I am concerned I hope Carl can do my horses every year. I would definitely prefer someone who specializes in miniatures any day.

Barbie

And my dentist (human) is most CERTAINLY a doctor!!!!!! I wouldn't let a non-DMD dentist near my mouth
Hey Nathan, Your own dentist, or DDS, is not also your family Dr. He is trained specifically to do nothing other then tooth and mouth care. The point was well made that most vets do not have much training, if at all, in equine dentistry, much less have the equip for a miniature. It should be our choice to use someone who we trust to do a proper job on our horses mouths. In this economy, we should not have to pay someone more money to do less then adequate work!Barb

Last edited by a moderator:
On that note, vets receive 6 hours during their total curriculum classes at Texas A&M and at LSU they receive a total 4 - 5 hours. These are two of the best Vet. schools in the country, so it makes me wonder what is taught at the rest of the Vet schools in the USA. :DOH!

So when someone tells me that only a Vet. is trained to work on teeth it makes me wonder where they are getting their information.
default_wacko.png

As far as tools are concerned, between Carl and Gary they have designed and helped in the production of many of the various MINI tools needed to do a proper job on these little guys.
default_yes.gif

Also as far as experience is concerned Carl sees 8 - 12,000 mini's per year. I would say there are NO vets in the world that get that type exposure in 10 years.

I have to point out that all equine dentists are not created equal. There are many that are not in the same category as Carl Mitz and around here I venture to say that there are several vets that have much more experience/training and see many more Minis than do the dentists that we have to choose from.

Here we don't have any dentists that I trust to work on my horses; we do, however, have at least 2 vets that I will go to for equine dental work.

I have seen that people have posted about farrier laws

and YES i have been for warned that it is coming for me and my crew

The rumor of the wording of the law states that in order for us to come and trim your horses a vet would have to be standing there the whole time as we trim

THIS CR** HAS TO STOP!!!!!!!

I am having to haul my minis over 2 hours to get them done.

I might get my own float and do them myself since i do my full size and have for years

If anyone wants the vets number that started this mess PM me and i will give it to you (happens to be our rep)

Miramor, I will take you saying that your vet gets that kind of exposure as gospel. And if they are the best option in your part of the country, then so be it.

But it makes the point against this law, that I have taken issue with. In that each of us as responsible horse owners deserve the right to choose what is best for our charges. And this law and laws of this type attempt to limit our choices and that I do not like.

Less government intervention is better when it comes to treading on my making the decisions about what is best for my horses and my personal choices in most cases.

Also please realize that this is not about proper care, but rather is a money matter only. In that as a large farm that has the ability to hire Carl as an employee, we will still be able to use him on our horses. The folks that do not have the ability to make him an employee with all the associated W-2" etc. are the ones that are going to get hurt the worst.

It sucks for them and in my opinion is the first step toward making farrier work the next step. I have it on fairly reliable sources that is the intent. It also supposed to include a move against those that do de-horning and castration on cattle. Which is a major problem for the beef industry and subsequently the folks that eat beef.

So - what I see is regulatory work happening - regulate the equine dentists because they don't have a certificate on the wall??? Make them go get one?

And farriers? Most graduate from a ferrier school - why do we need to regulate their work? Outside of an occassional combined effort between ferriers and vets - they rarely cross each other's paths. So why are they going after this?

And the final supposition - is this all because they are trying to net everything for NAIS - which IMHO will eventually regulate how many foals a year a farm can have per square acreage.

Or hasn't everyone thought that far in advance?

I could not agree with you more, this is only the tip of the iceberg if we stand by and allow these folks in Austin and other places to attempt to force us to accept this type legislation.

Not going to happen on my watch anyhow, without a long and protracted fight in the courts if need be.

In the meantime all we can do is let the legislators know how we feel and why. Hopefully mobilizing the ground troops will have the effect we need it to as they are the ones most effected by this stuff.

Then take whatever action is warranted, up to and including filing a law suit against the vet. board which is what Carl and the institute for Justice has already done.

Just saw this while searching for another website. If you are interested in voicing your opinion on this check out this website---this law also includes equine massage, chiropractic and "aroma therapy".

www.oklahomaequinedentistrylaw.com

Totally stupid.

You do know though.. that ....I think it was in FL... they were trying to pass a law that only Vets could do horses hooves.
default_no.gif

The Vet's around here don't like doing horses teeth.. even admitted to me they are no good at it and they are not set up for mini's teeth. I would prefer to use the Equine dentist that knows what he is doing but because so few people get their horses teeth done around here....I can be waiting for years. Sigh ~~~

Feel sorry that the Gov feels the need to do things like this. Doesn't invision good thoughts about this country. Welcome to the new World order.. the USSA...a friendly communist country.
default_wacko.png

Scary part is... that this is not the only thing going on. They are trying to pass an EPA law that makes any farmer that raises dust to stop or pay a big fine. Even us small gardeners...or folks that have their hay baled. The cutting, turning and baling of hay raises dust.... there for we are not supposed to do it..or put misters on the backs of the machines. What desk jocky maroon thought that one up... you can't cure wet hay.... and you will ruin all the grain crops. Heck... I see more dust coming from just one car going down the dirt road,, than I ever see coming out of the back of the haying tractor.

There are so many stupid laws being flung about with great abandonment, its scary. None of these new laws have been put to the Vote.. heck.. 90% of the people out there don't even know what is going on.

And for the few Farmers and horse owners that know what is going on... the Gov isn't listening to reason. They treat us, like everyone is beyond stupid....is offensive.

This was on our channel 4 OKC news tonight. I do not know who the woman was doing the interview, but they really did not give alot of air time to it. They did show a picture of the man arrested in Ok. and said that he posted a $500.00 bail the day after he was arrested. So sad, more people will be out of work that are more than qualified than a vet to do the procedures needed for a horses mouth. There are not many vets near me that will even do a floating. I called a few vets just to see if they were qualified, some said "Oh sure, I have full size equipment, I am sure I can make it work on your minis"!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
Not my horses!!!! One (1) told me to call an Equine dentist and asked who I was and where I was located. I was using my cell phone and hung up! I felt like I might be set up. Scared me. So now what, my horses will suffer because there will not be enough money in the world to get an Equine dentist to float their teeth. I have seen big horses with their mouths bleeding after a floating, I can only imagine what they will do to the minis
default_no.gif

Lucky, if you call it that, that his bail was only 500.00.

Hope this has a positive outcome for equine practioners, and yes, SAD is hardly the word. So many unemployed now, loosing their homes, giving their horses away, this is just not the time for something like this to take up "spotlight" in the news! I guess the politicians are trying to keep their jobs too.

B

I've not had time to read all the post since the first 3 pages... but I talked to my step-dad about it since he knows of allot of the equine dentist & vets... And we actually have this guy's dental float sitting at the shop... lol!

But we looked up on the internet at this law passed in OK.....

It is THEEEEEEEE most rediculas thing I've ever heard! You guys out to check it out........But it's just NOT for equine dental stuff..... This is a federal offence and it ALSO includes: aninmal pschology (horse training!) aroma therapy (miss spelled), touch therapy (chiropractic/achupuncher) and flower aroma therapy! And my step-dad said this law was passed threw because there's a vet that is in the legislature that got it moved threw.

The is the most ABSURD thing ever! It pretty much laws everything out!

And it's a $5000 per day fine along with up to 4 or 5 years in prison!!!!

This deal needs to get over turned! Because if they want to start pointing fingers...... then they need to not be just making a statement about equine dentist! It then needs to be with EVERYTHING the law is saying NO too!!! Which is ALL a bunch of BULL in my book!!

Latest posts

Back