Okay I got pictures of of black spots

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 3234

Reaction score
Got a sweet little mini mare out of a bad situation. Her history from what I know (not much). We have had her a little over a week: She is 3 yo, 36”, from Colorado, sorrel with white main and tail. She had hair loss on her face and an old fungus issue going on.

Treatment(s): she has been given Intervet 5 in one shot, wormed with ivermectin, just finished sand clear, has been bathed daily with fungusol shampoo and cream applied twice daily. Fungus issue is clearing up nicely.

But:

1. I noticed she had under her hair on her back, neck and stomach area small rice size bumps. There might be 8 in all. There is no hair loss and they are not inflamed, itchy or crusted. I ruled out lice & mange as there is no significant hair loss or itching. I thought they might be allergic reaction to insects bites and or whatever else was going on when she was in Colorado. They have not changed in the time we have owned her.

1. Also, after shaving her we also noticed on her pink skin she had black rice size spots. They looked like something had healed and turned the skin black. There are quite a few of these and the black spots can only been noticed when her hair is shaved.

What could the bumps and the black skin spots be from?

Anyone else experience this?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds like a mystery to me, since you wormed her with ivermectin I would think if he was a parasite it will die off. On the other hand maybe she got into some stickers or maybe like you say an alergy of some kind. Maybe someone else in your area has dealt with this type of issue and can offer some advice. Good luck in your search.

I'll try and get pictures if this would help.
Yes would give a better idea of what it looks like. Ive never experienced anything like that before from what you described.

Are the black spots showing just her dark skin showing through her coat? If sounds like it could be a fungus associated with living in a not-very-hygienic environment or with humid sticky weather. Maybe sweet itch or ring worm. Sometimes ring worm does not form big rings, just small dots. Could also be a form or rain rot or girth itch from being hot out and being irritated from bug bites. It does not cost too much to have a vet do a skin scraping. It won't hurt it to treat with an anti fungal spray or treat with tea tree ointment. If it responds well to that, then it is probably a fungus. Good luck.

Like I said we only had her a little over a week and I just discovered the little black dots when we shaved her neck to treat the other issues. I have to bath her again (cleanest horse in town) and will try to take some good picture of the "black dots" on or part of her skin.

I hope these come thru clear to where you can see the black spots. She also has a fungus cream on her neck.

whinny neck 1.jpg

Whinny neck 2.jpg

I'm not sure of her history, only she came (which is what I was told) from Colorado. She has a bunch of these little black spots all over her body. I've never seen theses before. SHe also has small lumps (describe above) on her body too about the same size.

This is what I was wondering if anyone else has ever seen.

If she had lice then you'd see them and the larve when you clipped her. It looks like sweet/girth itch to me. Good news is it looks like its healing. Try the anti fungal spray with marigold in it. It may help her hair grow back faster.

Latest posts

Back