Okay how many of you have/breed shelties?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Narrow Way Farm

Reaction score
My hubby is not totally sold on my papillons that I would like to get.. He likes them, but he likes the shelties too.. How many of you own or breed shelties? what are their temperments like? Are the high strung, would they get along with children? I am praying I can get him to come around on the papillons though, I have done research on them, and really like them, but he would like me to compare these two breeds.

Keep in mind that Shelties are herding dogs by nature--and they often will try to herd their people too--esp children. I adore Shelties, but have known SO many that get a bad rap for nipping kids. It is just their herding instinct, but it still happens a lot. They have a LOT of energy and if not given an outlet for it, they can get into a lot of trouble. They are smart dogs and will find their way around the rules when they can. They are also very loyal in my experience. Are you still breeding the mini schnauzers too?

-Amy

Amy, we still have our miniature schnauzer.. she has only had that one litter though.. we don't want her to have a litter on every heat cycle. I just love the papillons.. I love smaller dogs.. I have a pyr but she stays in the field and I don't have to worry about her out there. Small dogs for in the house is a must for me. I was concerned about the herding instict with the shelties.. that is why I loved the papillons so much.. I talked to Lois of Mountain Waif and she said they love to cuddle, which would make me and the kids so very happy, we just love our babies (animal that is)

Shelties are also BARKERS.
default_wacko.png
:

Given the choice, I'd choose a Pap any day over a Sheltie...
default_yes.gif
:

Barkers... :no: that won't mix with 4 kids in the house.. I get enough noise from them.. I hear my pyr at night when she sees something.. so I can't handle barkers.. oh well too bad for hubby so far doesn't look in his favor :lol:

Well, just know that I hate generalizations as much as the next person, but I've known MANY Shelties owned by a wide variety of people and with the exception of one or two they were all blasted barkers. I think it has to do with the herding background...
default_yes.gif
:

I have bred several litters of Shelties. I have owned several Shelties that ARE NOT BARKERS. My females (Kacey) is a house dog, she loves kids and has let them get away with pulling her tail, hair etc. whey my youngest daughter was a baby. She has NEVER nipped anyone. The male dog I had was very quiet and well mannered also. He was also NOT a Barker. They also never tried herding my daughters. I kept a female out of my last litter she is almost a year old. She is also very quiet and not a barker and she adores the girls. My neighbor has a kennel and raises Shelties and Pom's. All of her Shelties are very well mannered and are also not Barkers. She has 8 Shelties and 2 Pom's the Pom's make more noise then the Shelties do. We also owned several Shelties while I was growing up and out of the 5 Shelties we had only 1 was a barker. My shelties do not try herding the horses and they go in the fields with me. They stay right with me and have not made a move to chase or nip at them. My neighbors Shelties also do not herd or bark at the horses As they are next to the field that I use to summer my TWH's on and my neighbor owns a QH and a Paint. I honestly think it is how they are raised up and trained. If you dont let them get a way with barking and they know it is wrong then they arent going to do it. same with nipping and herding the kids.

I have a female named Kasey. The only time she barks is when someone tries to hurt me or when someone is at my door. She is very sweet, knows when she has done something wrong, like having a snack at the cat litter box, and loves "herding" the horses.

I bred Shelties for over ten years, Never had a barker, never even knew the breed had a reputation for barking until we went to a show!!!

My two sat there looking at me with their mouths open- with SHOCK!!!

A dog is what you make of it and often becomes what you expect it to be.

A bit like labelling Arabs "highly strung, neurotic playthings" (which is what I have often heard them described as) when mine were the jacks of all trades the kids needed them to be!!

When in Rome.........

I vote that you through caution to the winds and get yersef a good ole Tennessee Leg Hound like my Devin. They are typically found on the side of the road, in the woods, or roaming through the towns scavenging for any morsel that resembles food. Devin was lucky. We found and adopted him at Signal Mountain Adopt a Pet.

Also known as "front porch doggy"........He is guaranteed to protect your family from the outside world, bark at strange noises, alert to danger, tackle any dog or beast no matter what size, bite tires, loves tractor tires especially, chases cars & trucks, bite anyone that does not live here, attempt to pee on your Christmas tree every year, and only hump hubby and boy's legs lessen of course you tell him "NO"

Wouldn't trade this good ole boy fer the world

DevinCh1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a sheltie puppy who is now 9 months. I got him from Lea Dill, who Lyn J recommended here. He likes to bark when we are playing and to express happiness but he is a lovely quiet boy the rest of the time. He is at my hair salon all day, downstairs in the "dog lounge" with my sheppard and you would never know they were down there, not a peep. He is wonderful with my niece who loves to run and play with him!! Like any breed of dog you have to teach them how you want them to behave and what is expected of them. They are very easy to train as they are very smart, house training was a breeze. As for the herding thing the only thing he gets to herd is the vaccuum!! I highly recommend them but choosing a dog for your family is obviously a very personal thing.

:saludando: I bred Shelties for over 20 years. I love them but they like Border collies need a job. If you don't give them one they will find one of their own and you most likley not like it.

Latest posts

Back