OK this Dial Up junk has to go........

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maxi'sMinis

Reaction score
:arg! :arg! I am soooooo sick of this slow
default_deadhorse2.gif
default_impatient.jpg
dial up service
default_gaah.gif
. I need to move into the 21 century. I don't have DSL so my only option is satelite. Do any of you have sat internet that you are happy with?
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

I get mine through Frontier. They are the only company out here that offer to rural places. Their service has been pretty good and are pretty good about getting stuff fixed if the internet is down (which doesn't happen often). I bundle phone, tv and internet through them.

Are you sure you don't have a wireless option in your area? We are very rural here and have wireless. My two neighbors have wildblue at&t satellite, but our wireless is better and cheaper. The original installation was $250, I think, and they monthly bill is $30. The wireless operations are usually mom & pop. I think it is funded through tax that we pay on the land line telephone bill. Did you check your yellow pages for a provider?

We're rural but have a choice of wireless companies. Because we are so rural we don't have DSL either. I also know that both Dish Network and the competing satellite TV company offer internet service.

We have wireless here in the boonies in Northeast Texas. I could get Wildblue or Hughes Network, or etc., but know people that don't like the results of either of them. I use a wireless "air card", I believe they call it. It costs me $60.00 per month, but so would any of the satellite systems. With my wireless, which is through my cell phone company which is now Verizon, I can unplug it, plug into my laptop, and use it whenever, or wherever I may be.

I feel your pain Mary. DSL is not available here in nomansland, PA so we bought a wireless internet card through AT&T. I love it.

It is so much faster than dial-up but certainly not as fast as DSL. The nice thing about the cellular card is that you can take it with you.

So, whenever I travel I have my laptop and cellular card and I'm good to go. I've actually used it in the van while driving a horse to Kentucky.

Although, when the horse pawed and kicked up sawdust my screen would get dirty but oh what fun.
default_laugh.png
Personally, I think it's the best option!!

I understand COMPLETELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are so rural, we don't even get cell service where I live. I have a cell phone, (for travel and work) but we can't disconnect our home phone because there are NO towers that reach us out here. Not even one dot! It's a pain because we only have ONE company who offers home phone service because "they own the lines". Well, they actually dropped fiber lines last year, so we now have DSL! It was 8 years in the making, but it finally happened. I did a LOT of research on sattelite internet, and just want to say.... check them out before you commit. I know there are people who are happy with their sattelite service, but from what I read, I decided to keep my dial up until something else was offered to me. I didn't like the comments I read about the 2 services offered in my area. Good luck and just remember, there are a *lot* of us who feel your pain. The web sites just keep getting worse and worse for the dial up people.
default_smile.png

Ok I have Dishnetwork for TV and can get sat service from them for 100 install fee and 70 bucks a month. I am going to look into the wireless internet card. Wildblue would be 300 just for install and no phone DSL available here. Any of you use satellite for you internet? Just would like to know if you are happy with it. Thanks Debbie it sounds like the internet card would be a good option. Geez discisions, discisions yikes. The thing is you have to sign up for a year or more contract. Debbie is there a contract for the internet card?

Yes, my internet card came with a lovely contract.
default_rolleyes.gif
We had to sign up for a year but our year is up and I know we will be renewing. My service is never down and I have heard with the satellite service that depending on the weather, you may experience problems. Also, there is no installation fee and remember it is portable. Also, I think we pay around 60.00 per month, a little cheaper than the satellite internet.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have Hughes Net - it's awful, but better than dial up - still waiting for DSL to come through.......................................

Oh no air cards lose reception where I live. My only reasonable option is Dish Network. Does anyone have satellite with DN? They have an 18 month contract, but it is only 99.00 to get it installed and $70 a month for the medium level service.

Did you try a wireless card and it didn't work?
default_sad.png
Well, that just stinks!!! I've taken mine all over the country and it's worked but maybe it's just your particular location? I know people who have Wild Blue but nobody with Dish. Good luck Mary, I hope something works for you.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back