OK, so I thought I'd see what others thought about this.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brasstackminis

Reaction score
Since this is a location where controversial topics are discussed, here we go!

So watching lots of different doctor shows like The Drs, Dr Oz, and Dr Phil something has been bugging me. When you watch them talk to a person struggling with Anorexia/Bulemia you hear people talk about how their 70 lb body is fat, bloated, ugly, not right. They call it a body dismorphic disorder. The person who is clearly starving and no where close to being fat but more like a walking skeleton...sees a fat person in the mirror. We can clearly see that this person's brain is not seeing what we see. It is called a disorder and help is offered to teach the person what is fat and what is normal and what is dangerously thin..they are sent to intensive therapy so that they can begin to see what everyone else around them sees and to begin to love themself.

Then in another episode you will see a man who believes that he should be a woman. They comment that their penis should not be there. That they are a woman...they see a woman with a penis. They look in the mirror and see a woman when we see a man. It is not called a disorder. We are told we need to accept them the way they are and that what they are doing is trying to be normal. You get images of men's brains, women's brains and the brain of a man who sees a woman in the mirror and the latter is more similar to a woman's brain. They are sent to therapy, but to deal with other's perceptions of them...

So the question is first...has anyone ever done scans on a brain of a overweight person and compared them to an anorexic brain and a normal weight brain? Is this the "Chicken or the egg first" That is to say, is their brain that way because of the thought processes or does the brain that looks different causing the observed difference? The other question is really what is the difference? Both see themselves differently than everyone else around them and what they see is clearly not what actually is... I realize that anorexia is live threatening and feeling like you are a man in a woman's body is not...at first glance. But when you realize how many people attempt suicide because of it...it starts to look more and more similar. So what really is the difference?

I have friends that I love dearly that have both conditions...I am not bashing, just discussing.

Last edited by a moderator:
People who are transsexual do not see a woman (or a man if they are a trans man) "looking back at them in the mirror"; they feel like the opposite sex inside...like they we're born in the wrong body. They feel this way from birth. Conversely, anorexia and other eating disorders are acquired later, through various life experiences/choices, and may or may not have a genetic component. And it can be cured...it's a mental disorder (a form of OCD). Being transsexual is not a mental disorder that can be cured.

They are two completely unrelated conditions. My twin brother was anorexic and i have several transsexual friends.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think you hit the nail on the head, Matt.

I think the mind has a lot to due with many problems. How we perceive ourselves can become very complex and be difficult to change.

Very well put, Matt. It's like comparing apples to oranges.

Hmm....I've never thought of it that way. I agree with Matt's points and I really don't know what else to say.

Latest posts

Back