Ok people you need to come out of the wood work here.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitney

Reaction score
I'm researching something to kill the stomach bug. I've already done a seach with very few hits.

If your affraid to post PLEASE email me. We have 3 maybe 4 farms that have this crap and we need to figure out what kills it.

I'm not sure on horses, but on people it is VERY important to get the dosing correct and keep on eye on kidney and liver function. Blood work is done every few doses on a person and even minute adjustments must be made. One of the most common negative side effects is deafness, which is caused mainly by overdosing. Perhaps a call to a vet school is in order?

The prescription will be issued/administered by vet(s).

I am looking for known adverse reactions in MINIATURE HORSES.

I've only given it to one mini, for a week, along with penicillin............it was a few years ago so I don't remember why we did it, something reproductive I think. No adverse reactions.

Gave it to my old big horse mare many many times in conjunction with penicillin, she never had any reactions either.

I gave it IV to the big mare and IM to the mini.

I have used gentamicin on minins with no ill effects. It was prescribed by my vet when my mare caught some sort of bug similar to salmonella. She was one very very sick horse. This was just one of the treatments she was given. She also was having a lot of fluids run through her while they were being given.

Let us know how you are doing with this.

I've used it many times in conjunction with penicillin, with no adverse effects. Would be interested to know what kind of problems you are concerned about.

Jan

We've used it numerous times usually in conjunction with penn. Vet prescribed. For various ilnesses. Have not had a problem.

Charlotte

I used about a year and a half ago for my mare when she got a huge cut that led to an infection within 4 days. And yes just like everyone else say it is giving in conjunction with Pennicilin. No reactions at all on my end. And it cleared up most of the infection within 2 days..

Thank you everyone.

I have had just one private email that had a bad reaction. The combination was Gentamicin and Cephalexin. Horse was being treated for respiratory virus, during treatment horse did not improve blood work was done and found Kidney failure/laminitis horse did however pull through. I have asked her for the dosage.

Please PM me privately with dosage given. This drug can only be prescribed by a vet, and I want to have the CORRECT dosage to suggest to mine. Because in my internet research overdose does cause kidney damage.

I also discovered that after colic surgery it is prescribed. Thats my next post.

Latest posts

Back