OK Color Experts....I'm stumped!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really enjoyed that website with all the morgans and the colors! I actually know some of the horses on there
default_yes.gif
: I used to "work" for Sharlene Anderson and some of her horses are listed on there...

I didn't know that silvers existed in the Morgan world too! I thought only Rocky Mountains and Shetlands had that color :bgrin That was really neat to see. I love their silver bay!!

Here is a picture of a colt I have here. It was thought that he is black, but I'm thinking not... I'm wondering what color he would be? Just plain brown?

daneatshow.jpg

He wasn't touched up with any product except baby gel for this picture...

I'm not sure where the idea that Buckskins have a black mane and tail came from in the first place- I have yet to see one!!(Except in Minis and you are never sure if the colour is "real" then, anyway as it could be dyed.

Mind most of my experience with this colour is in Welsh and they, like Minis are a law unto themselves.

Lewella I did not know all that had been worked out- but surely until a test is evolved it is just logical theory??

Also could the stallion not have At and A??- or would this cause a different expression?
Every buckskin I've ever seen has had black points, most were stock horses (quarter horses, paints, etc).

Here's the cream page on Equinecolor.com:

http://www.equinecolor.com/cream.html

Buckskins are about halfway down the page, and it does say that while most do have black points, not all do (those that don't have chocolately points).

This is the lighter end of what I know as buckskin: http://pub34.bravenet.com/photocenter/albu...rnum=2862716619

(link to pic on equinecolor photo album)

Here's what I usually think of as buckskin:

http://pub34.bravenet.com/photocenter/albu...rnum=2862716619

(pic from equinecolor photo album).

Here's a link to the perlino/cremello education association's buckskin information page with lots of pictures:

http://www.doubledilute.com/buckskin.htm

I would say "Buckskin". I have a new filly that I clipped out and she looks the same as the first clipped out picture that you have posted of your stallion. I believe when the coat grows out alittle, she will look more buckskin again too.

These changing colors! :eek:

Chanda you need to look at some Welsh Buckskins- all the ones I have had have had brown points or even grey manes and tails- without being Grey or going Grey!!!

"Dark" manes and tails would be a better way of putting it, I think.

Also, I do love the clear, true Buckskins with black or nearly black manes and tails, but, as said, have rarely seen one.

I agree with Lewella on this one, by the way, although it does look like a sooty Buckskin.

OK, so if I am understanding this right, and if I want to test him to make sure, all I would need to test for is agouti?? If he does not carry agouti he is a "brown buckskin", and if he does carry it he is a buckskin?(sooty) Or what specifically should I test for?? Thanks!

Just bumping this up Lewella, as I know you said you were away for a few days while this topic was live. Am hoping you can respond to my post I left when we were discussing this, that never got answered...

OK, so if I am understanding this right, and if I want to test him to make sure, all I would need to test for is agouti?? If he does not carry agouti he is a "brown buckskin", and if he does carry it he is a buckskin?(sooty) Or what specifically should I test for?? Thanks!

Chanda you need to look at some Welsh Buckskins- all the ones I have had have had brown points or even grey manes and tails- without being Grey or going Grey!!!

"Dark" manes and tails would be a better way of putting it, I think.

Also, I do love the clear, true Buckskins with black or nearly black manes and tails, but, as said, have rarely seen one.

I agree with Lewella on this one, by the way, although it does look like a sooty Buckskin.
Jane,

I'd love to see the color of buckskin you are talking about, tell me where to see them. I live in the middle of stockhorse country, so there are no Welshs to see in person.

Latest posts

Back