~ Oh Bailey ~

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maplegum

Reaction score
Just thought I'd give everyone an update on Willow's progress. She's 11 weeks old already!

She's still very shy, but I'm sure she just follows her Mother's lead. You can't get near the mare unless you have food. It's kind of funny though, as Princess, the mare, (is that name ever fitting!
default_wacko.png
) would have to be the most vocal horse I have ever heard! I thought Bailey called out to me loudly! He has nothing on Princess.
default_new_shocked.gif
Now I have Willow calling out each time she hears the back door of the house open too. At 5am each morning, I just wonder what the neighbours think with 3 horses all calling out very loudly! :DOH!

Each night after work, I have been catching Willow, which is quite difficult, and spending time with her. I tie her up along side her Mum. I tell you, this little girl has been here before! I have never seen a foal learn so quickly! It took one 5 minute lesson to get her to lead like a pro. Any other foal I hav helped teach to lead, has needed the rope around it's bum technique. But not Willow, she just leads like she has always done it. So proud of my little, or should I say BIG, girl.
default_aktion033.gif

I tie her up and run my hands all over her body. She has the same itchy spot that Bailey does! Right under her front legs, like her armpits. You should see her little lip curl. God she's cute.
default_wub.png

Last night I tried picking her feet up. What a doll. She didn't even resist at all. She even 'gave' me her legs once she realised what I was asking from her. Talk about a fast learner! I thought Bailey caught on fast.

Last night as I was grooming and scratching her, Bailey became jealous!
default_wacko.png
It was very cute though. I was squatting down beside Willow, grooming etc and Bailey kept sticking his gorgeous head under my arms, under Willows neck, in fact, anywhere he could get my attention! He did not want to miss out on anything. I kept telling him that he was 'my boy' and nothing is going to change, but he just didn't listen!!! He was almost sitting on top of me! How cute is that?
default_wub.png
I LOVE that little man so much, my heart aches with it. So as you can see, he loves me in return. After I had finished with Willow, I had to then groom Bailey and fuss all over him, just so he didn't feel left out. He kept looking back at Willow as if to say "this is MY Mummy, not yours!".
default_hypocrite.gif
And "I'm her favourite too!"

These little horses warm my heart beyond anything I could ever imagine. I have owned BIG horses before, but these minis are another thing. Or maybe it's just where I am in my life. I have extra room in my heart and in my life to be able to embrace them on another level. Anyway, you guys understand what I mean.
default_wacko.png

Now, I just need to work on Willow letting me catch her without too much fuss!
default_xreiter.gif

xox Leonie xox

I also forgot to add that the 3 horses were lining up for my son to give them treats last night. Bailey was raising his leg to shake hands without my son even asking him to. It was like Bailey was saying to the other horses "look at what I can do, bet you can't do that!" He got extra treats for that one.
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
You are doing so good with Willow!!! Way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!

And, I love those momma boys!!! I have two, Bacardi (gelding) and also DunIT (stallion)and they both always want to "be the one".

I love those momma's boys!

Oh that is so sweet!
default_wub.png
I'm glad Willow is doing good for you. Normal for Bailey to be jealous, now you will have to spread yourself between them..

I know what you mean, they just SQUEEZE your heart!!

I have 1 big horse and 1 mini and I love them both but Giddy- the mini is so much more loving! He wants you to make all over him, where as my thoroughbred likes attention but on his terms...

Keep us informed, I watch for your posts about Bailey and Willow...
default_yes.gif

It is nice when they catch on to handling so well isn't it ? Then again I haven't had any trouble with any of my babies . And they definitely are more personable that the "biggies" Just watch Bailey with the jealousy during grooming , if you ignore him too long while grooming Willow he may get aggressive . I have a yearling filly that likes her grooming a little too much , I always brush her first but when I am done with her and move on to the next horse , she squeezes herself in between me and the other horse ! I totaly ignored her one time and she bit my arm in desperation for attention . It hurt and left a good bruise too , so just watch his signs if he looks annoyed keep an eye on him.

Your stories of Willow and Bailey warm my heart. They can provide a connection that is so deep. I can hear the love you have for your "kids". Non-horse people just don't understand. It makes me wonder how anybody can resist them!!!!

Your stories of Willow and Bailey warm my heart. They can provide a connection that is so deep. I can hear the love you have for your "kids". Non-horse people just don't understand. It makes me wonder how anybody can resist them!!!!

you can say that again. but i have to say that once i got a mini donk, wow, you thought the horses were friendly and had personality! i am up to 11
default_rolleyes.gif
in just a few short years... and if i won the lottery i would have 1100
default_new_shocked.gif
LOL - i still love my horses, big and little
default_wub.png
but OH THOSE LONGEARS
default_wink.png

Back