Off the wall question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walkoffaith

Reaction score
When I lived in Ohio an old time big horse breeder told me this. When they bred for ponies between big horses and minis they always bred a big stud to a mini mare. He told me that this would result in a normal sized mini for birthing and that it then grew to pony size after being born. However I have noticed on mini farms the stallion is almost always smaller than the mares, I would guess this is so the mares don't have foaling problems. Which of these views is correct?

There is a belief that the fetus will only grow as big as the space provided in the womb, which is what your old time big horse breeder is probably basing things on.

:no: Nope. Sorry. Can't count on that.......heard of and seen too many wrecks to believe that old wives tale.

There is definitely a reason why so many mini breeders choose to have taller mares breed to either shorter or at least finer boned stallions. We personally have taller stallions which are finer boned and our mares have plenty of body, wide pelvis, and good hip to carry and foal out......but there is no way they could accomodate a foal that was from a full-sized stallion!

To be blunt, that person you spoke to is signing a possible Death Warrent to a mini mare!

MA

Thank you for answering. I would have thought it dangerous myself. I guess i am confused if you were determined to breed a mini and full sized for a pony why not a full sized mare with a mini stallion? Would the resulting foal be to small to nurse or have other problems?

Its a very common procedure. Mostly its because the smaller mares are cheaper, and they can get away with a high priced stallion and lower quality (price-wise) mares. If they did it the other way around they'd have very expensive mares, a large number of them, and a relatively inexpensive stallion.

The mare does dictate the size of the foal. Minis have a much higher rate of dystocia compared to full sized horses, but that rate doesn't increase based on stallion size. I know this isn't a very popular idea to mini people
default_smile.png
I certainly would be careful breeding huge stallions to tiny mares, but a hand or so I don't think I'd worry.

The mare does dictate the size of the foal. Minis have a much higher rate of dystocia compared to full sized horses, but that rate doesn't increase based on stallion size.
now that I very much agree with.

I am generally more concerned with the bone structure and build of my breeding horses than I am with highth. Breeding a stallion who tends to produce heavier, big boned babies seems more likely to put the mare at risk, esp if she is more refined. My opinion anyway.

Jan

Back