Obstacle/jumping classes with a too smart horse

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dreamer

Reaction score
I show the performance classes with my horse. Last year was his first year showing and before I bought him he hadn't been messed with much.It had been a few years since I showed previously, so I didn't have high expectations for either of us starting out last year. I have put lots of time into training him and teaching him to have respectful behavior. He is extremely intelligent and learns quickly which I considered a plus. However that has become a problem in the showring. At home, at the trainer I take lessons with ocassionally, even around shows now that he is used to going whether outside the ring or in the warmup rings he will do just about anything I ask of him. He is young(4 years) and while energetic is not hot, has mellow attitude and when asked to focus and work he gets down to business and even my trainer has commented several times that he has a good mind. However as soon as we step foot inside the show ring he becomes a totally different horse. He becomes hot and spooky. If he was a halter horse that look at me and ramped up attitude I believe is considered desirable however as a performance horse it is not. I believe it may have come about from when we first started last year. He was not used to it and was understanably upset about going to shows. He has since gotton used to going but figured out that gee, he won't get corrected in the ring and if I just refuse becuase things in the ring are just so scary(and get DQed) I can leave without doing anything. To watch him you would never know he had done these things calmly hundreds of times before and as I mentioned not just at home. It is fustrating as I know he can do these things and he becomes a uncooperative brainless spooky twit. He does this in halter obstacle, jumping, liberty(although in this class I don't mind) the only class he doesn't do this in is driving. What are some permissable ways to correct him in the showring? I know it is kinda frowned upon to correct in the ring and I can't really get after him like I would at home to school him but surely there is something I can do to correct him and teach him that yes he must do these things in the showring as well. I feel he is taking advantage of me and the fact he only has three tries and hes out and doesn't get asked until he does it like he would elsewhere.

I have a smart one too, but luckily she is just about the opposite and loves to show off in front of the judges! Maybe it is because once when she was a yearling and acted up in a halter class I decided that a lesson was more important than a ribbon so I got right after her. In an individual workout I think you need to sacrifice a class or two and get after him!! You might tell the ring steward of your plans first. In a halter class or where other horses are around, you need to be careful not to upset the ones around you and of course you should try not to knock obstacles around that would need to be reset,

The other thing you might consider is how YOUR attitude changes when you go in the ring. He is likely VERY sensitive to your nerves, so unless you feel exactly the same in the ring as out of it, he will feed off any changes.

I show these classes as well and although am not having same issues as you, I know my horses always work differently in the ring than anywhere else. They're young and green and I know they just need a lot of ring time still. It's frustrating when the basic obstacle that I drill and drill at home and they do it mindlessly, will act as if never have done before in the ring. I used to show dog obedience classes with our dogs and learned one interesting fact. That our dogs were able to smell and pick up our anxiety and nervousness. It was suggested to put a mint in your mouth. Can't remember why...to disguise? Not that I did this, but it always make me think, that even though I try to be relaxed and act normal, the animals sense something's different. Sounds like you are doing just as I would do....use the class as a training session if you've already DQ'd anyway. Of course within reason....not taking too much time. If your horse is nervous and acts hot, might just go in there and work on him to relax more than trying to even concentrate on the obstacles as much as possible. I know this may not be possible. And any schooling show you can get to , take advantage of it. I know we have very few in our area. Use any local show (big horse) that you can. Even if they don't offer the classes you need, enter anything just to get your horse in that same horse show environment. If they have a showmanship or Halter class, enter just to try and work on relaxing in the ring. Any type of horse demos/expos you can attend. Believe me, I know how frustrating it can be. Also have someone video your performance if you can. We do this all the time for training purposes. Video the show and also your work at home and see if you can find any changes YOU do, as well as what sets your horse off. It amazes me what I see myself do....most of the time not in a good way.

Another thought....if there is any way to get your horse in the ring before or after the class, do it!! I know we've had a few occasions to practice in the ring the night before....as they already had obstacles set up. My horse hated the blue bridge.....was so glad to get him over it. You may ask to go in later after show finished. We always bring a few poles, Hula Hoop, blue tarp, etc. to the shows for practice. You could try setting these out in same ring if got the chance too.

Back