Obese minis ....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

loveminis

Why so people let their minis get obese ? I don't understand it. Especially mares, it can't be good for them. Give me your input.

I own a dog grooming business. You should see some of the poor dogs that come in. It's so sad to see a relatively middle aged dog that can hardly walk and breath. I hate it!

IMO its a mix.

1. Some people are uneducated and dont know how much to feed their minis.

2. As said earlier that 'oh Im starving look'.

And also, none of my horses are on grass, which, i think packs pounds on the most and makes it harder to take off.

I work at a Veterinary Service and there is a groomer there also and like said before you should see some of the dogs that come in. Just yesterday there was a lady who brought her dog in to be groomed that was VERY overweight so the groomer referred them to a dr. and the dog was so obese that it had trouble breathing because the trachea(spelling?) was being closed off cause the dog was so fat. It's so sad, and when the owner was asked what the dog was eating they mentioned all this table scraps and treats and extra stuff along with the food. And she was wondering how the dog got so fat? Hmm......it's ridiculous and very sad for the animals.

default_unsure.png
When I see really fat mares for sale it makes me think the owners don't care. Pastures can be fenced off to be made smaller.

Well you have to understand that a lot of mares for sale now have had a good amount of foal year after year and they carry all that mama fat with them. And if the owners are just going to breed the mares again, they arent going to bother fitting the mare. Also some horses have disorders like cushings/ IR that are not always in the ad.

Alex, so does that mean if a mare gets bred year after year it gets fatter and fatter ?

Alex, so does that mean if a mare gets bred year after year it gets fatter and fatter ?
Not necessarily fat all over, but many will have "mommy belly"; all the abdominal muscles get all stretched out from having foals, and they don't always reduce back to pre-pregnancy size, especially after multiple foals. But, there is a difference between "mommy belly" and just plain fat all over. [i have a mare that has had several foals, and while she isn't fat, she does have a saggy belly (not major, but noticeable) from previous pregnancies.]

Why so people let their minis get obese ? I don't understand it. Especially mares, it can't be good for them. Give me your input.

I think people just plain over-feed them because it is convenient for the owner. And too much grass easily packs on the pounds. This is especially true when you see a mini living in the same pasture with an adult full size horse, so if the 34 inch mini and the 15 hand horse are on the same meal plan, of course the mini is going to be grossly fat. I personally like my minis in small paddocks so I can manage their feed intake , and yes, they are always looking at you with those big eyes, saying "feed me more". No one has told them they are minis, cause they do have appetites like a full size horse. But IMO careful feed management is the answer.

Latest posts

Back