NW Storm

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Liz-I came on to see if your husband had gone out in the boat and thank god he didn't. I have been thinking of you for a couple days.

Raining hard here in southern Oregon and the Rogue River is up but not too bad here yet. Just started today but looks like it may stay awhile. My ranch is all on a slight slope so we are in good shape.

Take care everyone

Back inside now after bailing out the horse stalls. YUK. However, I did have a bright point in my day. I went out to see how deep the water was at the end of the driveway and as I gazed upon the stream that used to be my driveway, *light bulb moment*. I trudged back up to the barn and said, come on Ally girl we are going water schooling! LOL

So I ground drove her all over, by the time we were done we were both drenched from top to bottom, I mean soaked! But that depression that was assailing my mental state earlier in the day had just melted away. We walked through ponds, we trotted through ponds, we went full blast into ponds, woohoo! She was having as much fun as me I think.

It is still pouring here and we just had a couple good power bumps, so I don't know if our power is here to stay. The floodwaters are still rising on the Skykomish where I live and other Washington/Oregon rivers, and I pray everyone stays safe. This truly is a monumental storm!

THAT sounds like fun! And she probably did appreciate it! Smart little horsie.

Pinky asked me where the lady went with all the good num nums! She was happy someone noticed HER for once!

I wub me some Pinky! :D
default_wub.png
SO cute!

Still here. The wind is still blowing, and it's not raining so much, just a few showers here and there.

Awfully dark around here and the phones are still out. Odd to be able to get on the internet at this time.

Take care, everyone....hopefully the floods will spare all of you.

Liz

Hello Everyone I am finally checking in here. We lost some power throughout today. Didn't want to get here til now...Ummm I have been stuck in my apartment for the last 2 days though due to water. I have about a foot in front of my steps and then theres also a pond as I call it at the entrance thats 2 feet deep...Def. hasn't been too good here.. I called and check on my horses though..They have been stuck inside due to their run being flooded and full of mud..Too slick for them to play...I know our arena is flooded so no riding or working horses there for awhile. Right now everyone I think is being trailed down to the Tacoma Unit to be worked. So I just wanted to let you all know Lexi and I are doing here..Hubby almost stalled his car on the way to work though...Hopefully this all will pass over so I can get out of the house..

Liz, those are some killer pictures! You ought to submit them to the news sites if your internet will work long enough.

However, I did have a bright point in my day. I went out to see how deep the water was at the end of the driveway and as I gazed upon the stream that used to be my driveway, *light bulb moment*. I trudged back up to the barn and said, come on Ally girl we are going water schooling! LOL
Ah-ha! What a way to make lemonade out of lemons.
default_aktion033.gif
You must have washed all those blues away and I'm sure next year Ally will be kicking tail as a side benefit!

I too spent tonight bailing stalls but at least mine was all tracked in on hooves or welling up from under the mats instead of actively flowing in the doors. Kody looks like a drowned rat again and wonders why Mama isn't playing with him but he'll just have to live until the ground firms up a bit.

Stay safe everyone! Things are already drier here than last night and the wind, while active, isn't of concern. We haven't even lost power, knock on wood.

Leia

I sure wish Susanne would check in. Can someone of you who are closer maybe give her a call?

Jayne

I sent Susanne an email but not answer yet. I missed placed her phone number again but I am sure Liz has it. Has anyone heard from Marie or Daryl?

Wind has sort'a calmed down here and we are getting a wee break from the rain.

If this keeps up... maybe I should buy "water horses"... have puddles within puddles.

Wish I could get down the hill.. we have two waterfalls on the back corner and I bet they are beautiful!!

Will see how the weather goes today and maybe I can ride Dyfra back there.

So much for the rain break...should of kept my mouth shut...no sooner than I say it....its starts to rain...again.
default_rolleyes.gif

Hope all winter is not like this.
default_unsure.png

Well I am going to duck as I am sure you will throw your shoe at your computer but right now we have sun and 48 degrees and it is not even 9 AM yet.

According to our weather we will get a bit of a break today and then the rain possible snow starts again tomorrow. I hope it is snow, at least the ground will freeze then.

Kim, our septic system is giving us fits as well. We had the tank pumped but the ground is so saturated that the drain field is backed up as the water can not go into the ground. We are not washing clothes and using as little water as possible.

My phones will not dial out. I will, however, try with our cell when we get to town.

The BPA power lines coming into the county (the huge ones that everyone hates to have going through their property) were blown over.

We had 129 mph wind gusts, and multiple ones. This is why so much damage.

I am worried about susanne, too, though I think they are up on a hill and from what I can see, the majority of damage up her way is from flooding.

This is nerve-wracking. I can't even call people in my own county to ask if they're ok and noone can call in. We are fixing to run out of fuel in 48 hours and there is none available here except for dire emergencies such as clearing roads and hospitals and the like.

I may be rationing pretty tightly though we are THINKING about driving to Longview (one lane of Hwy 30 is open that is the only way in and out of the county right now). They couldn't even fix the power lines because there was no way to bring in the poles and cable to do so.

Still haven't found Al, but I know he's out there probably working wayyy too hard.

Everyone else is fine.

I did send the pics to FOx 12 and Katu. Will get some more today. The power poles look like toothpicks. I am just glad we had no damage other than the leak around the chimney, which has stopped.

Liz

Can anyone help us. Our Son runs the Coast Guard Station in Depoe Bay Oregon. We have been trying to reach Him and his family since yesterday with no luck. Would really appreciate any info of conditions there.

All in affected area take care.
default_wub.png

Liz,

We were soo very happy to hear that the boat was safely tied to the dock.

In Grays Harbor County we were particularly hard hit for WA state. Winds of 80+ (not just gusts) and 8-12 inches of rain since Sunday night. All schools in the area are cancelled again today. Busses cannot run on unpassable roads. Highways into and out of Grays Harbor County are all either under water or have trees across them. Power has been restored to parts of the county, but others will be without for several more days and there is no guarantee for the rest that their new power will stay on. PUD workers were called back in after 2 fell out of their boom buckets Sunday night when this began. Personally, we are very lucky. We lost a couple of trees and one machine shed, and pastures are under a lot of running surface water. But it is warm. Today I will put the horses out for a while no matter what, as doing chores in the dark is difficult, especially having to work around curious, impatient beasties. Besides the weather today is comparitively mild. Ha! I can see through the rain and the wind is no longer howling. Ron is leaving to help a friend feed his pigs by boat.

Dorothy

Marylou,

My mom lives near there and she is fine. Power is out and most communication is down too as I read that even long distance phone is out. They got hit really hard, but frankly they are mostly able to handle it, so once they get things cleaned up you'll hear from them. All routes to the coast from the valley are closed due to down trees and power/phone lines and flooding. My mom's senior mobile home park lost almost all of its trees, with some blowing over root-ball and all, but some snapping off like twigs a couple of feet above the ground. Amazing what 100mph winds will do!

There are no reports of deaths or injuries in the area, so please don't worry. It's just they need time to get the infrastructure back in place so people can move around and have power and phone restored.

I can dig some more if you need it. I just imagine that your son is very busy helping with the cleanup and other coast guard things with this wild weather.

Jayne

Marylou, the phones are so messed up in this region. If you want, you can try and call your National office (I think there should be a website, and see if the CG will give you an update on his unit.)

I have not heard of anything bad happening to anyone on that part of the coast. Most everyone has stayed in and tied to docks, and I have yet to hear of any casualties. I am sorry for not knowing, I know that is hardest of all.

Yes, Ron, the big part of this storm is that the sustained winds were right around 90 mph for hours and hours, probably 24 or more, and the gusts went up to 129 that we know of. THAT is why this was such a bad storm. I wondered how that area was. I had not heard from Kari and yesterday was her birthday....what a bummer, birthday in a power outage.

Knowing her, though, she found a way to make it amazing and fun.

default_smile.png

Liz

Thank you! He has been there since july. Before that He was running the station in Juneau Alaska so I guess He is used to extreme weather.
default_wub.png

We didn't get that bad of a wind last night and even some sun this morning. My commute was back to thirty minutes instead of almost two hours. My thoughts are with those of you in Gray's Harbor county and northern Oregon!

Susanne was scheduled for eye surgery today so I wouldn't expect to hear from her. She's been having a tough time lately but trying hard to keep her chin up and not talking about it much. (Shh, don't tell her I said anything!)

Leia

I will check back if I hear anything, but right now we are off to try and go get fuel for the generator and maybe a bit of milk or juice.

Marylou, I am sure your boy is safe, and probably offering support to those that need it now along the coast. Soon the boats will be back on the water, so he will be there for them.
default_smile.png

We love the coasties!

Liz

Checking in from a wild and wooly Grays Harbor County......

I echo what Whiteman's reported........it was crazy here.....

We lost 4 ornamental cherry trees, wind just pulled them out by the roots.

Michael caught two more before they pulled out and tied them off with

come alongs to the fence posts..... We lost probably an 80 foot fir at the

driveway.....there are so many huge small tree size branches down,

I think we'll be having a community weinie roast soon, to get rid of them.

The roads around here are scary and as we're new to the area do not

know the ways around the blocked roads - but all the major roads in and out

of here were blocked yesterday....we were being held prisoner in our county LOL

not that we wanted to go anywhere in that weather.....we found a restaurant up

in Elma that was open (Rusty Tractor) and I think the whole town of Montesano

was there eating. They said if delivery trucks couldn't get thru by today, they

wouldn't be feeding anyone as they were about out of supplies.

Power came on during the night sometime so we've lights, heat and water, again, and

can flush the toilets (a vastly underated commodity to daily living
default_yes.gif
)

Santa is going to have a BIG wish list this year and it's all going to do with generators,

more battery powered lamps and some sort of emergency lighting for the barn, something

to heat food on.

Kids are all safe and sound.....our big guy Graffix sometimes gets antsy in nasty weather

and he stayed as calm as can be......think he was saying silent prayers to his Dad for

getting he and his little people bedrooms built since we came here.

We got a phone call at 6PM last night that our old home and business was going to get

flooded again at 4 AM this morning, which was when they expected the Puyallup to flood

at 4 feet more than last years flood that wiped us out....It did not come to pass, thank God.

The flooded areas, here in Grays Harbor, are horrible.......I told Cheyenne, when I talked with

her yesterday,that we took our camera with us when we went out, to eat, but seeing all the

flooded area, not far, from us was way to emotional....I couldn't take the photos, I just cried....

way to close to the heart and memory.

The difference here is this is, that this is mostly farm land.....I don't know much about the history

of the area, but I think any homes that were in these floodways have been removed and the rivers

flood, mostly just into fields and pasture land.......no people are being endangered, in the areas we saw anyway.

I do not know what we've done to annoy Mother Nature but she has had the Pacific NW in her

sight for a couple years now......this just isn't our kind of weather....especially not two years in a row.

I'm glad to read people and critters are safe........another bullet close but avoided.....Take care!

Sorry to hear of the rain, here we had roads closed yesterday and this morning, because of snow storms.

Some areas without hydro and icey roads on top of everything. Light snow falling now, and can see out, 20 degrees. :Cold-Scared :Cold-Scared :Cold-Scared Starting to look a lot like Christmas...

Back