Now that the election is over and we have a new Pres

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pepi first of all with a Democratic majority in the house and senate there will be no need to reach across the aisle to get things passed. They wont need each other to do anything that is why many are afraid of the posibilities. As for your comment that is assuming everyone that voted for McCain is completely against Obama. Not necessarily so as proven by the Congratulations offered on this board most have said they will give him a chance and as for things happening in 2050 I will no longer be on this planet by then. I doubt I will even see 2016 so if the policy takes 15 years chances are I wont be seeing the Glory Days only those leading up to them. I do hope Obama can in a reasonable time keep his promises to all who have supported him and gain even more support from those who did not.

Nanny, when someone states "I will hope for him" then finishes with anotoher sentiment, I have to lean towards the other sentiment being how they truly feel. And it is obvious, we ARE divided. I never said everyone is completely against Obama. However, it would be hard for them to want to give him a chance when for the last howevermany months, they have been told how bad and evil of a man he is. Doesnt matter the facts, either way.

Good post, Nita. Many people forget that it's not just the president and his policies, but where the two Houses stand as a majority. (Which is partly why these last two years haven't gone too well for Pres. Bush.)

BTW, Thank you for your "Now What?" subject.....I took that and ran with it into My Space for this week's Group Blogging assignment.
default_wink.png

Iwouldnt presume to say that this country is not still divided and would have been no matter who became president but I dont think that all 56million are anti Obama now that he has been elected. I just dont see that here or on other boards I am on. Most have said well we fought the fight and we lost now we will see what he really can do to get our country back on track He has the best of tools to accomplish this with the party behind him in both the Senate and House . American majority have made their choice and he will be our president for the next four years Good Bad or somewhere in between. Truthfully even for those who think he will fall on his face I cant believe they REALLY want him to because if he does then the Country fails. I would bet that most of us who are scared of what Might happen pray every night that it wont and that this man can accomplish what others couldnt do.

Pepipony - maybe the congratulations and hoping is as far as some can go at this stage... even Obama does not expect those who did not support him to like him... from the speech last night...

In this country, we rise or fall as one nation, as one people. Let's resist the temptation to fall back on the same partisanship and pettiness and immaturity that has poisoned our politics for so long.
Let's remember that it was a man from this state who first carried the banner of the Republican Party to the White House, a party founded on the values of self-reliance and individual liberty and national unity.

Those are values that we all share. And while the Democratic Party has won a great victory tonight, we do so with a measure of humility and determination to heal the divides that have held back our progress.

As Lincoln said to a nation far more divided than ours, we are not enemies but friends. Though passion may have strained, it must not break our bonds of affection.

And to those Americans whose support I have yet to earn, I may not have won your vote tonight, but I hear your voices. I need your help. And I will be your president, too.
Pretty words, yes... but he said he was going to work to earn their support. I think he will try his best to do that. But it will take time.

A few will carry on as they did before the election - still stirring the pot and fretting, saying we must fear and stay divided... but most of us are willing to wait and see... and hope.

And then we can always take a moment to get back to basics...
default_wink.png
... and think how far this country has come...

selfevident.gif

I never said everyone is completely against Obama.
You may not have said everyone is completely against him but you're pretty free with the word "hatred".

Man.....talk about
default_deadhorse2.gif

TAG thank you for realizing that the congratulations may not have come easy. I sat here and wrote mine with tears in my eyes. But they were meant sincerely.

Pepi, please let's give it a rest and all be friends.
default_wub.png
Yeah - cuz the last couple of times Bassett and I have started to snark at each other and josh and have a bit of fun in a thread - it has gotten closed!!
default_wink.png
default_biggrin.png

Just a suggestion - and no, I am not telling anyone how to post - but perhaps the fingerpointing and rhetoric and accusations could lighten up a bit... and we all move forward...

default_saludando.gif

TAG thank you for realizing that the congratulations may not have come easy. I sat here and wrote mine with tears in my eyes. But they were meant sincerely.
As vehement as some of you have been in these threads - it was obvious to me that congratulations would not come easy for some... and I can imagine how emotional you were - and completely understand it.

consoling.gif
hug2.gif

I think we should take the advice from both McCain and Obama - and move on.

From McCain's speech...

Sen. Obama and I have had and argued our differences, and he has prevailed. No doubt many of those differences remain.
These are difficult times for our country. And I pledge to him tonight to do all in my power to help him lead us through the many challenges we face.

I urge all Americans who supported me to join me in not just congratulating him, but offering our next president our good will and earnest effort to find ways to come together to find the necessary compromises to bridge our differences and help restore our prosperity, defend our security in a dangerous world, and leave our children and grandchildren a stronger, better country than we inherited.

Whatever our differences, we are fellow Americans. And please believe me when I say no association has ever meant more to me than that.

It is natural. It's natural, tonight, to feel some disappointment. But tomorrow, we must move beyond it and work together to get our country moving again.
More awesome words.

Wise man. Wise men.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exactly! It's going to be a whole different ball game once he gets in there and debriefed. It will be interesting to see what happens with the troops once he gets in there. I'm not sure anyone knows the whole situation until they get in there. I am certainly going to watch and give him a chance
default_yes.gif

There are always things that are kept from the public.........information we don't know about which helps form why presidents make certain decisions. It rarely comes to light until years later. These are what Mr. Obama will be finding out over the next couple of months. Because of this, he's going to probably adjust his strategy regarding how he wants to accomplish all he "stumped" for. One thing that is in his favor, though, is he will be working with Democrat majorities in both the Senate and Congress.

Hold on a second... all of a sudden if we don't approve of Obama we are racists?! I'm scared of his policies and beliefs, not his frickin COLOR!! "All men are created equal"... heck yes! But that doesn't mean all of a sudden all men's (and women's) BELIEFS are equal to my own!! Equal RIGHT to have those beliefs, for sure. But we aren't all of a sudden REQUIRED to LIKE the others point of view, just accept it for what it is. But NOT to like it or approve of it.

Nathan... where did I say anyone was racist? I didn't. Nor did I even think it.

I just thought that editorial cartoon was a thoughtful historical footnote - without any "racist" accusations intended whatsoever.

But we aren't all of a sudden REQUIRED to LIKE the others point of view, just accept it for what it is. But NOT to like it or approve of it.
No one - NO ONE - said you were required to like anything... please read the excerpts from both speeches again.

Please - I hope this good thread does not get closed down because posts get heated...
default_unsure.png

Things will change after Jan 20th, for sure. The war will be abandoned, our troops let down . Illegals will be given the rights for licenses

, etc. Oil will go UP, not down. But that'll be for next winter, not this winter.

The healing will start four years after that.
I HOPE THEY ARE SENT HOME ENOUGH ALREADY

. THANK GOD, AT LEAST THEY WILL HAVE TO TAKE A TEST AND A CLASS INSTEAD OF DRIVING WITHOUT ANY INFO!

OH WELL, FIND AN ALTERNATE SOURCE, FOSSIL FUELS ARE NOT UNLIMITED.

OBAMA CAN'T DO ANY WORSE THAN BUSH!

How about booting OUT the illegals instead of giving them jobs and licenses?

Hmm... not sure if my car will burn wood, but I'll try! You going to buy me one that will?

The cartoon says "all men are created equal... ratified Nov 4th, 2008". If that isn't refering to Obama's color, what IS it refering to? Enlighten me. What else about him, other than his ideals, is any different from any other canidate other than his color?

Try a green car, or electric...

Solor roofing?

Your unemployed? Looking for a job? There are PLENTY take one the "Illegals" do!

I am CERTAIN with the Mexican's gone we would ALL be screwed! In our county, they do the jobs American's will NOT DO!

UNless you plan on paying $6 a Head for lettuce, you best learn to live with "Illegals."

Ummmmm. Didn't you hear McCain's concession speech: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/global-vi...07.40%20PM%20ET

Didn't you hear Obama's: http://www.nationalpost.com/news/global-vi...07.40%20PM%20ET

Enough already. It's time for your country to unite.

I'm getting a little tired of Canadians telling me how my country should be run...

You going to buy me a green car?

They WON'T hire me. Say I'm overqualified, even though I want the same pay they do. Problem is, I STILL cost them more because to hire me would require them to pay taxes.

I won't have $6 to pay for lettuce after paying $6/gal for gas!

I'm refering to what forum members are saying, not the canidates.

I'm getting a little tired of Canadians telling me how my country should be run...
You going to buy me a green car?

They WON'T hire me. Say I'm overqualified, even though I want the same pay they do. Problem is, I STILL cost them more because to hire me would require them to pay taxes.

I won't have $6 to pay for lettuce after paying $6/gal for gas!

I'm refering to what forum members are saying, not the canidates.

Did I tell you how your country should be run? I don't think I've EVER done that. I am trying to open some people's eyes that, yes, we have a right to an opinion; with family in YOUR country that are AMERICANS I have an opinion and deserve one. I'm tired of Americans telling me (and other Canadians) that we should shut up. Your country (being the most powerful on the planet) has a profound effect on the world. That gives everyone the right to an opinion. So stop all this divisive talk.

People effect people WORLDWIDE! I am so sick of the "I am too overqualified" speech, There are plenty of jobs... They may not be EXACTLY what you want, but certainly plenty of them. For goodness sakes, stop making excuses and attacking people! GO work for Walmart if you need too.

I have an opinion and deserve one. I'm tired of Americans telling me (and other Canadians) that we should shut up. Your country (being the most powerful on the planet) has a profound effect on the world. That gives everyone the right to an opinion. So stop all this divisive talk.
Matt, despite what the obnoxious few on here imply, many Americans agree with you. As long as we refer to our president as "leader of the free world," we'd better accept that citizens of other countries will certainly have an opinion and a very real interest in what we do.

People effect people WORLDWIDE! I am so sick of the "I am too overqualified" speech, There are plenty of jobs... They may not be EXACTLY what you want, but certainly plenty of them. For goodness sakes, stop making excuses and attacking people! GO work for Walmart if you need too.
woohoo!!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

Funny how I, fresh out of college with a degree was interviewed and hired one week after graduation, with no ifs, ands or buts about it, and yes I make reallygood pay.. I'm still on my college's job emailing list that sends out emails about available jobs throughout the US, believe me, there are PLENTY of jobs out there and willing to hire.. I couldn't agree more with Floridachick, stop making excuses and go out and make something happen, sitting at a computer bickering/complaining isn't going to CHANGE anything..

Did I tell you how your country should be run? I don't think I've EVER done that. I am trying to open some people's eyes that, yes, we have a right to an opinion; with family in YOUR country that are AMERICANS I have an opinion and deserve one. I'm tired of Americans telling me (and other Canadians) that we should shut up. Your country (being the most powerful on the planet) has a profound effect on the world. That gives everyone the right to an opinion. So stop all this divisive talk.
Matt, and other fellow Canadians etc, I for one appreciate your comments/opinions and do take them into consideration with curiosity and open eyes/ears.. I find it ironic that some of the people here in the US are quick to try and silence those who are not, though they sure do use the "freedom of speech" card when the tables are turned.. The United States IS very powerful, and the attitude that I've seen displayed through several of the members here as well as other people from day to day life/activity, it SCARES me, this divisive, "we're better than you" talk is what is going to keep the US enemies of other countries, yes there are some out there that no matter what we try to do or say they will always have a "hatred" for us, but I do feel that we need to start opening our eyes and ears to others, because the US is as powerful as it is, we should be setting an example, and a good place to start is "treat others the way you want to be treated"..

Tell ya what... YOU go out there, earn a Master's degree, work your butt off and do WELL at your job, then try to find new work. Then lose that job when the company closes up shop. My first job was finalized before I left school. My second took me a month to locate. My third... is still out there. I've applied for three positions every week for FOUR MONTHS (including every position my school has announced in my field, the ones not in my field I don't qualify for) with no luck... only 10% have even gone to the interview stage. Each one has told me "you won't be happy doing this" and declined employment. I've stopped listing my MS on my resume because it seems to be an immediate turn-off to $8-15/hr employers. So don't tell me I'm lazy and not seeking and not willing to accept anything that is avalible. Yes, I've applied at Walmart, Lowes, etc. I've interviewed in several states, including California. But I'm not exactly sure how my employment situation relates to the presidential election?

Latest posts

Back