Now that the election is over and we have a new Pres

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

backwoodsnanny

Reaction score
Now that we have a new president what now ? For all Americans what do you see happening now that didnt happen before?

Will our soldiers start coming home?

Will those of us in the North East see a break on winter heating oil?

Will new policies help with the illegal immingration problem?

What do you all think will happen now or rather after January 20th?

How will the healing happen any ideas?

Well nothing can happen as quickly as we would like it to. It's going to take months to start the planning and years in the implementation of changes this country needs.

Will our soldiers start coming home? I hope so, but I believe many of them will go to Afganistan to support forces there and take the fight where it needs to be to keep our country safe.

Will those of us in the North East see a break on winter heating oil? Not immediately, remember he doesn't even take office until late January. Nothing will happen overnight, as much as we wish it could.

Will new policies help with the illegal immingration problem? Again, not immediately, so we will have to wait, pay attention and continue to make sure our representatives know our feelings.

What do you all think will happen now or rather after January 20th? LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of planning. You know both parties were already working on the above issues and many more already. Now the new administration can begin to solidify how to go about implementing(and paying for) the needed changes.

How will the healing happen any ideas? As many have said, this didn't happen overnight and it won't be fixed overnight, perhaps not even in one term. The healing will only begin if people can let go of their anger and sense of "my way is the only way" that we're still seeing (from a very few thank goodness) here today on the Back porch. We are ONE NATION UNDER GOD and if we treat each other the way we want others to treat us, we'll be OK, heal and move forward....just my opinion.

Things will change after Jan 20th, for sure. The war will be abandoned, our troops let down. Illegals will be given the rights for licenses, etc. Oil will go UP, not down. But that'll be for next winter, not this winter. The healing will start four years after that.

I agree with Nathan, but I hope we are both wrong. I guess only time will tell. No one knows for sure what he is going to do or not going to do, which is what I'm worried about.

There are always things that are kept from the public.........information we don't know about which helps form why presidents make certain decisions. It rarely comes to light until years later. These are what Mr. Obama will be finding out over the next couple of months. Because of this, he's going to probably adjust his strategy regarding how he wants to accomplish all he "stumped" for. One thing that is in his favor, though, is he will be working with Democrat majorities in both the Senate and Congress.

Well nothing can happen as quickly as we would like it to. It's going to take months to start the planning and years in the implementation of changes this country needs.
Will our soldiers start coming home? I hope so, but I believe many of them will go to Afganistan to support forces there and take the fight where it needs to be to keep our country safe.

Will those of us in the North East see a break on winter heating oil? Not immediately, remember he doesn't even take office until late January. Nothing will happen overnight, as much as we wish it could.

Will new policies help with the illegal immingration problem? Again, not immediately, so we will have to wait, pay attention and continue to make sure our representatives know our feelings.

What do you all think will happen now or rather after January 20th? LOTS and LOTS and LOTS of planning. You know both parties were already working on the above issues and many more already. Now the new administration can begin to solidify how to go about implementing(and paying for) the needed changes.

How will the healing happen any ideas? As many have said, this didn't happen overnight and it won't be fixed overnight, perhaps not even in one term. The healing will only begin if people can let go of their anger and sense of "my way is the only way" that we're still seeing (from a very few thank goodness) here today on the Back porch. We are ONE NATION UNDER GOD and if we treat each other the way we want others to treat us, we'll be OK, heal and move forward....just my opinion.
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

default_wub.png
I am tickled pink to see Obama become our president. He has a huge load piled on him because of the past eight years and Wall street. I do not expect him to be able to clean up this mess we are in even within two years. It is so sad that the nay-sayers that sit on their duffs and already are complaining about him don't back him. I could almost bet you were the ones not picked to play dodge ball in school also.
default_rolleyes.gif
To bad they don't get a more positive attitude maybe that is why our country is where it is at today.
default_no.gif
If it was McCain who was voted in, I would have supported him as that is what the majority wanted (by the way that was an awesome speech he gave...true man of character)and so I will continue to smile and think I was still around to be able to watch this historic moment in history & give thanks that the majority of people still have the right to vote for their leader!
default_saludando.gif

nay-sayers that sit on their duffs and already are complaining about him don't back him.

Please not to make this a bashing but your comment probably will. You do know that many many many of us naysayers have worked our butts off to get where we are. We DO NOT sit on our duffs and complain. Out there working everyday. Please don't make comments like this unless you are trying to start a VERY negative thing going.

And didn't the majority of us say we would support him? I'm sure we did even if we don't like his ideas. We are willing to support him until he gives us reason not to.

Oh By the way my check better be in the mail.
default_wink.png

Well, despite such a historic Presidential win, it looks like civil rights is being dealt a serious blow here in CA. Personally I'll be focusing my efforts on that.

I don't have answers for all those questions, except: We'll see in January!

I am concerned especially with such a majority of democrats in the house.

An email I got this morning that asks the same question.

Obama elected President; Now what?

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 at 10:46 p.m.

(AP) -- Now that Barak Obama has been elected the next President of the United States, what can we expect? Here's a sampling of the President-elect's campaign promises and positions:

ABORTION

Favors abortion rights.

AFGHANISTAN

Would add about 7,000 troops to the U.S. force of 32,000, bringing the reinforcements from Iraq. Has threatened unilateral attack on high-value terrorist targets in Pakistan as they become exposed, "if Pakistan cannot or will not act" against them.

CUBA

Ease restrictions on family-related travel and on money Cuban-Americans want to send to their families in Cuba. Open to meeting new Cuban leader Raul Castro without preconditions. Ease trade embargo if Havana "begins opening Cuba to meaningful democratic change."

DEATH PENALTY

Supports death penalty for crimes for which the "community is justified in expressing the full measure of its outrage." As Illinois lawmaker, wrote bill mandating videotaping of interrogations and confessions in capital cases and sought other changes in system that had produced wrongful convictions.

EDUCATION

An $18 billion plan that would encourage, but not mandate, universal pre-kindergarten. Teacher pay raises tied to, although not based solely on, test scores. An overhaul of No Child Left Behind law to better measure student progress, make more room for subjects such as music and art and be less punitive toward failing schools. A tax credit to pay up to $4,000 of college costs for students who perform 100 hours of community service a year. Obama would pay for part of his plan by ending corporate tax deductions for CEO pay. Has backed away from his proposal to save money by delaying NASA's moon and Mars missions.

ENERGY-GLOBAL WARMING:

Ten-year, $150 billion fund for biofuels, wind, solar, plug-in hybrids, clean-coal technology and other "climate-friendly" measures. Mandatory reductions of carbon dioxide and other greenhouse gases by 80 percent from 1990 levels by 2050, using a market-based, cap-and-trade system that would increase energy costs. Increase federal fuel economy requirements from 35 mpg to 40 mpg. Now would consider limited expansion of offshore oil and gas drilling. Opposes drilling in Arctic National Wildlife Refuge. Proposes windfall-profits tax on largest oil companies to pay for energy rebate of up to $1,000. Expand federal requirements for ethanol from 36 million gallons to 60 million gallons a year with increase coming from non-corn sources, and require utilities to produce 25 percent of power from renewable energy such as wind, solar and biomass by 2025. $7,000 tax credit for the purchase of advance-technology vehicles; put 1 million plug-in hybrid cars on road by 2015.

FINANCIAL CRISIS

Two-year plan offering $3,000 tax credit to businesses for each new job created and enabling people to withdraw up to 15 percent of their retirement money, to a maximum of $10,000, without penalty, except for the usual taxes. Would temporarily extend an expiring tax break that lets small businesses immediately write off investments of up to $250,000, and sweeten small-business loans at a cost of about $5 billion. Estimated cost of proposals: $60 billion. Now favors mandatory 90-day freeze on some foreclosures. Lobbied fellow lawmakers to support $700 billion rescue plan. Extend unemployment benefits, offer tax credit covering 10 percent of annual mortgage-interest payments for "struggling homeowners."

GAY MARRIAGE

Opposes constitutional amendment to ban it. Supports civil unions, says states should decide about marriage. Switched positions in 2004 and now supports repeal of Defense of Marriage Act, which denies federal recognition of same-sex marriages and gives states the right to refuse to recognize such marriages.

GUN CONTROL

Voted to leave gun-makers and dealers open to suit. Also, as Illinois state lawmaker, supported ban on all forms of semiautomatic weapons and tighter state restrictions generally on firearms.

HEALTH CARE

Mandatory coverage for children, no mandate for adults. Aim for universal coverage by requiring larger employers to share costs of insuring workers and by offering coverage similar to that in plan for federal employees. Proposes spending $50 billion on information technology over five years to reduce health care costs over time. Tax Policy Center estimates overall plan's cost at $1.6 trillion over 10 years.

IMMIGRATION

Voted for 2006 bill offering legal status to illegal immigrants subject to conditions, including English proficiency and payment of back taxes and fines. Voted for border fence.

IRAN

Initially said he would meet President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad without preconditions, now says he's not sure "Ahmadinejad is the right person to meet with right now." But says direct diplomacy with Iranian leaders would give U.S. more credibility to press for tougher international sanctions. Says he would intensify diplomatic pressure on Tehran before Israel feels the need to take unilateral military action against Iranian nuclear facilities.

IRAQ

Spoke against war at start, opposed troop increase. Voted against one major military spending bill in May 2007; otherwise voted in favor of money to support the war. Says his plan would complete withdrawal of combat troops in 16 months. Initially had said a timetable for completing withdrawal would be irresponsible without knowing what facts he'd face in office.

SOCIAL SECURITY

Would raise payroll tax on wealthiest by applying it to portion of income over $250,000. Now, payroll tax is applied to income up to $102,000. Rules out raising the retirement age for benefits.

STEM CELL RESEARCH

Supports relaxing federal restrictions on financing of embryonic stem cell research.

TAXES

Raise income taxes on families making over $250,000 and individuals making over $200,000. Raise corporate taxes. $80 billion in tax breaks mainly for poor workers and elderly, including tripling Earned Income Tax Credit for minimum-wage workers and higher credit for larger families. Eliminate tax-filing requirement for older workers making under $50,000. A mortgage-interest credit could be used by lower-income homeowners who do not take the mortgage-interest deduction because they do not itemize their taxes. Nonpartisan Tax Policy Center estimates tax break of $1,118 for the middle 20 percent of taxpayers - those making $37,600 to $66,400.

TRADE

Seek to reopen North American Free Trade Agreement to strengthen enforcement of labor and environmental standards. In 2004 Senate campaign, called for "enforcing existing trade agreements," not amending them.

(Copyright ©2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

PLEASE NOTE it is an AP article. Not something I wrote.

Yesterday i cast my vote for McCain....spent last two hours of work sitting in the loung watching fox news results come in...i knew by around 9 that Obama was going to win, i'll give him a chance.....not like we can do anything now about it, but, its over and done with..this guy better impress me.

Hmmm, what now? I can only imagine the nightmare that's about to begin, so my plans are to prepare myself, my home and my family for what likely will happen in the not very distant future. I will hang on tight to who and what I love and PRAY for this great nation. Oh, and I WON'T be holding my breath waiting for my check...but I might go get a mortgage and see if he will pay for it, and my heating oil for me like he promised to that lady at the rally. I guess all I can say is Good Luck America, I think you're in for some rough times.
default_no.gif

Jodi

Remember Obama's friends, associates, spiritual leader Wright, ACORN, Farrahkan, illegal relatives, etc are still out there. With all that they did with Obama just as their pal, wait until you see what they can do with Obama as their leader!

Edited to add what Kenya now expects of President elect Obama

What Kenyans expect of Obama ......Because Kenyans abroad are expected to help their less fortunate relatives, many expect President Obama to help them.........This belief that President Obama will arrive from America – as if from heaven – to end our miseries
Say what - :DOH! he didn't even help his dear auntie living in America illegally!

[SIZE=12pt]America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves[/SIZE]." -- Abraham Lincoln

For American citizens thinking that they will always be protected by the constitution, think again. The constitution is only as strong as the people willing to fight for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Donna, The one thing I agree with Obama, if he does it. is NOT raise the age for retirement benefits. People who work all their lives should not have the age being raised all the time after they looked forward to the day.

Jodi, You are so right. Good luck to us all.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, one thing is for sure. We are a divided nation, no doubt about it. What, 70 million are hoping that he does well, the other 56 million are hoping he falls on his face. Reach across the aisle, yeah, right, like that can happen.
default_no.gif

Pepi first of all with a Democratic majority in the house and senate there will be no need to reach across the aisle to get things passed. They wont need each other to do anything that is why many are afraid of the posibilities. As for your comment that is assuming everyone that voted for McCain is completely against Obama. Not necessarily so as proven by the Congratulations offered on this board most have said they will give him a chance and as for things happening in 2050 I will no longer be on this planet by then. I doubt I will even see 2016 so if the policy takes 15 years chances are I wont be seeing the Glory Days only those leading up to them. I do hope Obama can in a reasonable time keep his promises to all who have supported him and gain even more support from those who did not.

Back