now my mare is throwing me 4 a loop and

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Dan

Reaction score
So I won't get into details now as I must scamper off to bed but in a nut shell.... my 6 yr old mare who can not in anyway be bred is producing milk I've been stripping her teats and just Now got enough just to cover my palms on each hand and soak my jeans when I wiped it opn my leg. I've heard of false pregnancy can cause this so what is one and any risks or sideaffects or any health problems happening with it should I be worried? Ill elaborate in the am with her back ground details as to how I noticed etc.

Ps: there appered to be little wax plugs on the tip of one teat yesterday.

Dan.

Why are you stripping her teats? If she's not bred and not suspected of being bred, nor having any health issues, there is no reason to do anything with her teats, except clean any build up from between them (which usually just involves a quick, gentle swipe or two with a baby wipe or similar). If you over handle the teats, the stimulation can cause fluid build up.

I was picking off some crud as I can't really give her a bath until next month with how much new york weather changes and her 3 year old gelded son was still trying to nurse when he's been weaned since probably 6 monthes old, so I figured might as well see what comes out as he does it a lot and most times his mom kicks him in the chest but he still goes back for more so idecided to see if anything comes out. Well this whitish substance came out (almost like when you mix milk with water) its not sticky or anything and doesn't smell. She is relativley round, but she's always large in the spring and then goes down in the summer and fall. Its just puzzeling as this is the first time if stripped her in the two years I've owned her so could it be from her sons constantly attempting to nurse causing fluid buildup?? Dan.

How long were they seperated when the gelding was weaned? It might not have been long enough, and you may have to go through the weaning process all over again to get him to stop. Sounds like he is doing enough to stimulate her, the milk probably doesn't have much nutritional value, but its not good for the mare to continue to produce milk and at 3 the gelding certainly doesn't need it (at that age its more for comfort, but he doesn't need it).

I'm not sure as I did not own them at the time, however he was allowed to bight as a foal and still does today if that's any indication of his training, well cared for most deffinatley but just not well trained IMO. He is however getting taller and can just abrely reach the teat and just seems to nudge it so once he's two big to fit and her grain is removed then she should stop producing. Unfortunatley, they are the only two horses we own and don't board, so they have EXTREME separation anxziety (sp?) Even having a fence between them puts my mare into an unhealthy frenzy where she starts galloping and screaming and neighing even tho he's standing right next to her only thru a fence. They are stalled separatley at night tho so its not 24/7 contact, but are turned out togther. He seemed to most recently begin "nursing" again and when he does he never gets anything. I certainley hope its nothing as she's acting fine just producing some fluid... oh god geldings are so much easier. No hormones lol. Dan.

I would seperate them anyway. If there is a fence between them and they can still see each other, they will be fine. I dont think it is healthy mentally for them to be too over glued to each other either. If they seperate fine at night, then there is no reason why they can't in the day time too. Yes, he is still nursing the mare and after all this time, may be difficult to make him stop. This may be one thing that is increasing her anxiety at seperating them, but it is typical for them to run and make a lot of noise when seperated at first. Mine do even when someone is moved to another pasture. Not a big deal, and they get over it.

Thank you hg, I will deffinatley try to work something out, idk how succesful ill be but ill deffinatley try however, I am still quite interested on false pregnancies in mares (minis in particular) as she seemed to just start producing this "fluid" I'm not positivley sure tho. Dan.

Latest posts

Back