Now I get it. . .

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow!

I really like her!

I love how her back is shorter than her neck. I haven't seen many minis with necks longer than their backs. So jealous of that feature!
default_biggrin.png

I really like her. Have you ever thought of breeding her to your Gold Melody Boy bred stallion?

Thanks
default_biggrin.png

Pallidon is the main stallion that she will be bred to, I think they could combine to make some blow away movement foals with the ability to work! I think so much of breeding good horses in this small size is looking for the pairs that will compliment each other, somtimes part of that pair will be a shetland or a part welsh or an over/b class/small horse. But if that pair produce somthing that is everything you're looking for in the size you want how can that be a bad thing?

Midnight Star Stables your mares are lovely. Must admit I have the 'tall' look of Dove. She can come and live in my paddocks any time
default_yes.gif
default_wink.png

I have said it before, and I will say it again. If I wanted to breed ponies, I would. I just have never figured out why AMHR wants to change the Miniature breed. Yes, I know they are a pony club, and I know that if a AMHR judge has a choice, the pony always wins. One of the reasons why I do not show AMHR anymore.

Now, unfortunately, AMHA is looking that way too. Yes, the up headed look of the Shetland is very pretty, but what drew us all to the Miniature breed in the first place and not to ponies? Pretty soon, there will no longer be a Miniature horse, but just a miniature pony.

Yes, they are pretty to look at, but they ARE NOT MINIATURES. (just my opinion)
I have to agree with you on some points. Many of us who have been in the miniature horse industry for many years and have fought to get the miniature horse the recognition it has today are concerned to see the direction miniature breeders are taking. Glad AMHA is closing the books, the sooner the better. Not trying to make anyone mad, just my opinion on something I've held near and dear to my heart for over twenty years

Last edited by a moderator:
Joylee-i think your second statement is making a generalization that is just not true. Not to start anything, but it is not just newbies that are changing their breeding programs and incorporating shetlands, it is long time breeders who have been at it from the start (like my family). In my opinion, AMHA is making a very big mistake closing their books. But that is just my opinion and it is speculation so we could argue for a very long time regarding that subject....and it is much past my bed time
default_smile.png

I agree with the last 2 posters... I think AMHA is making a mistake closing their books to hardship and i think it won't take that long before they realize it.

I also agree that the shetland influence has made the quality of mini's better.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought the breed standard has always been that of a full-sized horse in miniature.

Therefore, the leggier, more refined miniatures have always been the goal, however they are achieved. They are certainly truer to the breed standard than the "big body on stubby legs" that used to be so common.

The biggest improvement is the focus on refinement and proportion over "as small as possible at all costs."

I thought the breed standard has always been that of a full-sized horse in miniature.

Therefore, the leggier, more refined miniatures have always been the goal, however they are achieved. They are certainly truer to the breed standard than the "big body on stubby legs" that used to be so common.

The biggest improvement is the focus on refinement and proportion over "as small as possible at all costs."
a large number of farmers in Ireland go for the "as small as possible at all costs" and dont care if they have papers /pedigree and dont care about quality either just as long as theyre small ...but inn the last few years a growing number of breeders here want the more refined type and as that is what is winning in the ring we are slowly going in that direction .

I like the influence of the shetlands but dont want a mini that looks exactly like one - something a little less extreme would suit me fine

Ive been watching the UK as their minis are evolving and Ive noticed that big movement is winning in the ring ..sadly at the cost of conformation , they dont care if they have thick necks or are butt high as long as they can move , Id like to have extension but long legs and fine necks are whats is important to me

I hope the breeders in Ireland that you are refering to regarding "small size at all cost"remember what happened many years ago here in USA.Several focused so much on small size and less than quality breeding that somehow dwarfism appeared.Now we have that awful gene to deal with.Be careful what you strive for-you may cause problems for yourself.IMO

Latest posts

Back