Nothing truly important, but this really bugs me...

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya know....when people pick out their dresses and other show outfits, they get what THEY like. I doubt they sat around and thought "what will the member of LB think of THIS"...they get what they want. That is the great thing--we get to pick horses we like, tack we like, outfits we like and show where we want. I think sitting here talking about people (whether names are said or not) is just catty and mean and pointless. What someone thinks as hooker-wear may well be seen as classy by someone else. What another person sees as professional and proper may seem dowdy and "old" by yet others. For pete's sake, live and let live! Do what you want, wear what you want and leave everyone else alone as long as they aren't hurting anything!

-Amy

Lauralee, You would love Sanny in person I think.

Did you go to nationals this year?

The sky at the moment is grey.
Rabbitsfizz:

I was a lurker for many months before I started posting and, I gotta tell ya, the sky often is grey when you weigh in.

Sanny

i will say publicly.. you are an amazing woman (and for more then just how you look) I am honored to call you my friend.

you are truly beautiful in your amazing dresses at nationals , when you were preganant last year at Nationals ( and I was a total worry wart over you) in your jeans or sweats -bottom line is you are wonderful inside and out!

Hey Ash,

I "went" to Nationals this year but I was having gallbladder problems and I only stayed just about an hour! We ended up at the hotel much of the time, stayed one night and went back home.

L.

My only problem now though is heaven help me if there is a funeral or anything I need to go to, as most of my "good stuff" has glitter, sequins and bling bling for showing
Yes yes! :bgrin

Jan

:lol: :lol: Well, if any of my "horsey" friends care enough about me to come to my funeral, they can wear a little glitter if they like, I would be honored to have them there. (And I love glitter & friends) LOL!!

This has been a funny thread. !

I do think everyone looks nice, no matter what the "style" of their dresses. I guess my problem is just requiring such formal wear for an athletic sport....to me it's like asking a soccer player to wear high heels. But I guess that's what is required to show.

I think (my opinion only) we would all be thrilled to be driving our horses at the nationals

and if we had to wear a monkey suit as much as we didn't like it we would do it for the chance to compete, this seems to be the style and everyone is just trying to wear what they think the judges want to see.

They are there to show their horses and it is where we all dream to go someday but when that day comes we will probably try to find something the judges expect.

Although I do agree on the sexy aspect for us middleage woman (in most cases) should be left for the teens who pull it off in everyday life and look beautiful.

I at least have learned to leave the sexy stuff behind when I left my early 20's just doesn't feel right anymore (nor would it look any good on me)

Lets just support the lucky people who have fullfilled those dreams and hope we will one day.

Can we not joke at the expense of hurting someone's feelings.

Maybe once i get there they will be wearing those monkey suits so i won't have to wear an evening gown but i will do it if need be

Sorry I'll be quiet now

Lori

Well If thats what the judges want . Then thats what you'll wear if you want ot make the complete package with your horse its just like that. If you want to show at Nationals And thats what has beenstarted you might as well just suck it up and dress up. It deosnt have to be revealing like some.

I absolutely love the evening dresses and formal look in the driving classes. This is a F O R M A L event!! I certainly agree with the ban on strapless dresses, but I pick what I feel looks good on my 4 PLUS size body (ok, maybe 5 PLUS :bgrin ), and I've been showing for 20 years. It makes me feel good to dress up once in a while for a show. At our last show, there was a Gus Macker basketball tournament going on, and everybody else was in shorts and tank tops, and the horse show people SHONE! Lots of people came over to see why everybody was dressed up! Dana, you looked absolutely beautiful that day at Midland!! And I agree totally with your other comments.

Sorry I don't have a future as a model, but so what - if I want to show up in a poufy bridemaid dress, I can!

So we don't look like the Morgan folks - WE AREN'T SHOWING MORGANS

So we don't look like the Arabian folks - WE AREN'T SHOWING ARABIANS

So we dont' look lik the CDE Folks - -- - WE AREN'T SHOWING CDE

BRAVO!! BRAVO!! Thank you for pointing that out! I'm sick to death of hearing how things are done in other breeds or disciplines. We're showing Miniature Horses in AMHR or AMHA classes. Period. Not Morgans, or Arabs, or Hackneys, or CDE, or heavy horses or anything else. This is how things are done in THIS breed. If a person doesn't like this style, they don't have to participate.

Of course you/we are not showing any of those other breeds. Of course those that feel showing a Miniature horse should = looking tacky, that is their choice.
default_rolleyes.gif
: Me, thank you, I will continue to pretend I'm showing one of those other breeds, and dress to that higher standard.

This thread is the funniest thing!

ACCK is right..

It as scarred my "traditionalist" eyes to say the least to see bangles, sparkles, taffeta, hoop skirts and long dress gloves etc in the driving ring. SUBTLE is the key word here. AFTER six pm is tradition for the formal wear, and at that tasteful sparkles is nice. Nice black gloves are tasteful. Pants, and nice blouse with an apron are perfect for afternoon, for evening, and a nice blouse that has a little sparkle/sequins at sleeve or color with the pants and apron...just MHO, and trust me, where I come from you'd be pulled out of the cart and rolled in the manure pile if you got it wrong.

Pleasure driving = tasteful business attire with little sparkle after 6pm

Park = FORMAL..this is where the gaudy sparkles can come alive

Kim

Geesh..

Tabitah U crack me up ...sooo true..

and to all others who believe that dressing like the trend...is it not maybe YOU are trying to HIDE your horse with your attire. As a judge, I want to be blinded or taken by the horse, not the god awful colors and frills flying by. And YES we are not MORGANS, HACKNEYS etc,..but seems to me we've been doing it longer, maybe they have some ideas that the MINIATURES can use..oh and we've and not gotten laughed at by others by our dress code. Gee maybe the show jumpers should wear shocking pink in the WEG??? Tradition is there for a reason....

If you really want to stand out...put your harness on right.

Kim

(who's getting quite ticked at the breed slamming here..I'll put my dam*d hackney and his harness, and cart and my clothes up against some of those outfits anyday and go on "queer eye for a straight guy" for judgement..as we know Carson does show hackneys and saddlebreds)

Kim

Please do not respond to my posts unless you've taken the time to read and understand what I've written.

Well I copied the above line from your original post...wanted to see who you were...but unfortunatly didnt have a clickable link to a website. I have read and do understand what you have written. Lots of things are quite clear in your writiing....

Looks like you do not even show or breed...no website...do you have credentials to judge...horses or clothes? If so...you should go do so...you are very eloquent in your wording...."dorky" HOW OLD ARE YOU 12 yrs old? Use your words....stop calling people names and making fun of them as in "middle-aged women doing this is downright laughable!" I think your parents should take a good look at addressing your need for manners.

All the comments about "this BREED"...gee anyone notice that the miniature horse isnt a breed yet...neither AMHA or AMHR are breed organizations...they are HEIGHT registries...hello!!!!

I think you need a saucer of milk to go with your jealous whining...or maybe a job so you have something to do besides post caddy remarks about what people wear...so childish, get back in class...the bell has rung!

Last edited by a moderator:
go2minis...are you taking to me??

If so, I think you may have missed some of my intent..I was responding to other posts, not yours.

Kim

No willowwood...just replying to the original post. I've never posted...just read the forum for good helpful information and I send new people here...but this post made me register and post. It saddens me that in this day and age of people wearing whatever they want and being who they want...that anyone would want to publically be so distasteful as to say the things that some have here.

In time, this person will realize one day...the incredible value of living in a free country where we can wear and do...what we want. Sure many outfits are not what I would choose...but I value the other person's right to choose and if it makes them feel good....I say go for it!

You know, I love bling and also love the classic Victorian look. However, I think the key words here are classy, elegance and style, not tacky or cheap. You can wear bling without looking like a 'hooker'. I dont see one pic posted here that I would consider tacky at all.

I am no longer a size 8 either, and would dress accordingly. I guess I would be perhaps considered going over the hill now too, so would not wear what a slim 18 year old would probably wear and get away with.

I think folks just need to make sure the item(s) they are wearing are tasteful, not tacky.

Latest posts

Back