Not sure what to pay 12 year old groomers?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frankie

Reaction score
2,,,,,,12 year old girls down the road have asked me for a job on weekends.

They would like to come on Saturdays and groom my horses. As in brush them, wash faces, braid mane or tail, add conditioners if needed, get mud off and clip halter paths.

I think both my horses and I would love for them to do it!!!!!!!!!!

Good kids, know their parents, are good with animals. Kind of girly girls, so I am sure the grooming is right up their alley.

They are good friends and want to do it together.

But I do not have a clue what to pay them. I can't imagine with 2 of them it will take all that long. May take longer in the beginning.

I know what I pay my 13 year old son,,,,,,but he is doing labor. Not only that, he really does not get paid all that much in dollars,,,,more so in video games.

Suggestions???

It's always a good idea to ask what THEY expect or want to get paid. You may have some kind of idea of what you would be willing to pay them, and they probably have an idea of what they would like to be paid. Then you can talk it over with them and come to an agreement, so all of you are happy.
default_smile.png

Carolyn- When I was a horse-less 12yr old, I would have PAID half of my allowance just to groom a horse! I would definately ask the girls what they would expect to earn, you may be pleasantly surprised by their answer. I would also check with their parents as to what their expectations are. As in all horse transactions, getting the particulars in order BEFORE they actually start is a good idea!

Permission slips are the bare minimum- I would actually draw up a contract and remember to put up a sign saying you accept NO responsibility for anyone on the property with or without your permission- we should all have that sign regardless!!!

I would want to meet one of the parents and show them around, ask them what they expect- they may not want their children to be be paid, this may be a lesson they want learned, or maybe the opposite is true- you need to know.

At 12 I worked in a local Riding School- I was not paid money but had lessons and riding in lieu- both my parents had visited at one time or another and my Father knew the place well.

Whenever there is a child involved with a strange adult it is just self defence to bring the parents in.

Kids can say strange things- especially if they turned out to be useless and you had to let them go.

Carolyn, years ago we had some horse-less kids work for us. Just so happened they were 4-h ers as well. In exchange for work, they got the use of a horse to show in some of the local, small shows. Worked out well, we got work, they got to show horses, and when it came to going to shows, they were right there helping out! Tina has had local girls work for her as well, and all they wanted or needed was to learn. She would teach them, at first how to groom, then later, how to handle, and show. When you do it this way, you bring new interest into the breed, and hopefully, teaching them to be more responsible with everything in life as adults. While they are working, you can match up horse personalities to people personalities, and you could "judge", which one would be good to show which horse! I don't mean exclusive rights to show that horse all year, just occasional classes. Of course, you have to have the parents' okays and understandings, and you need to post the old Not Responsible for Accidents thing! Hope you can find the right answers for your girls, and just think, you may be helping train future horsewomen!

May be off the subject here, but I am proud to brag that in our 4-h group, we have turned out at least three professional trainers, blacksmiths, and 1 veterinarian! Others have gone on to raise children that have and show horses.

I am thinking along the lines of Just Us N Texas,

i would see if they would like to show at some local shows for you. When I have done this I matched them up with a couple of horses let them pick out of the 2 and then in exchange for there grooming and work done on the weekends they got to go to shows, watch and show and learn and have fun. I paid all there show expenses

in the summers i work at the barn where my big horse is boarded. i help saddle, groom, and cool down the school horses and the trainer's own horses. for the trainer, she pays me in riding lessons. for the other boarders, i get money. well, there's one pony i take care of for free.... but that's because i once asked the owner if i could ride her, got attatched....you know how it goes. so if ever the owner shows up at the barn and Misty's not there, she knows where to look! lol. she has 20 + horses, so she's glad i can take care of little Misty. with her though, i don't do any real work, just ride her around and brush her for hours on end! anyways, i take care of other boarders' horses for about $10 - $15 a week, depending on how much i do, which is usually complete care (grooming, bathing, working/riding/, feeding, mucking) because the owners are out of town/can't come to barn, etc. if i just wanted to help somebody brush a pony i wouldn't be asking for much, other than a good time. :bgrin

well, since these girls would be too big to ride the minis, maybe you could give them lessons in general horse care or horsemanship? if all they are doing is grooming and loving on the horseys, i would not expect money should be involved. just the fact that you are giving them a chance to be horse crazy girls should be enough.
default_wub.png
:

Carolyn- When I was a horse-less 12yr old, I would have PAID half of my allowance just to groom a horse!
THAT is very much the truth!
default_smile.png
I'm pretty sure I still would! :lol:

Two weeks ago I had a parent (Father) offer to PAY ME to let his daughter come for the day and clean stalls.

Wish they lived closer, his daughter was wonderful. Followed directions and had a smile on her face all day. She was knee deep in manure and happy as a pig in Slop. She was in heaven. And no, I didn't take any money from her doting dad. Just told him to bring her back anytime! LOL

Ginny StP

Latest posts

Back