Not sure if this was asked or talked about

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jegray21

Reaction score
Can a miniature horse compete in horse or pony classes if VSE classes are not offered? Why do they separate them? I am sure that is a stupid question but I am asking anyway.

Are you referring to classes at ADS events considering that you are using "VSE"? If that is the case, then yes, a VSE can go in a Pony or Small Pony class if it is offered. Generally, they split the horses and ponies. Personally, I think they separate them because the VSEs will kick butt in obstacles in a pony division!
default_laugh.png
It is also a safety factor, so that the minis don't get ran over by big horses, or make it more difficult to pass/keep on the rail. It might be a little different for CDEs, so you want to check with the organizer before entering. It is NOT a stupid question!
default_saludando.gif

I am very new to ADS competition, and in the 2 events I entered, I entered different divisions. In the first event, there WAS a VSE division, but the dressage class for the VSE division was a Preliminary Dressage Test, and I did not want to start there. So I entered the Novice Whip Division to get a Training Level Test. And guess what? The only other VSE also entered that division. I did not enter all the classes in the Division though - only the individual performance classes, which included dressage, cones, reinsmanship, and progressive cones. We opted to skip the working class where we would have been in the ring with "normal" size horses and I just wasn't comfortable with that.

For the second event, I talked them into adding a division for VSE, which they were glad to do once I convinced them it would fill. Unfortunately the show was cancelled due to bad weather, but they plan to run it next year with a VSE division.

In a cones course, (judged only on time) a VSE has a huge disadvantage. But we actually won our progressive cones class, where agility was very important and as the clearance decreased with each pair of cones you went through.

I have had to drive in the small pony or single pony division quite often as they don't have a VSE division. It has been my experience that the Minis have a huge ADvantage rather than a disadvantage in the cones - I can make turns and corners that the bigger ponies/horses and vehicles can't. We usually kick butt!!!

Maybe we are just slow ---- wouldn't surprise me at all... But we were definitely the slowest of all the horses through our cones course, by a huge margin.

Last edited by a moderator:
The advantage in obstacles increases with a tighter course. One that is more spread out will decrease the advantage. My husband had the 2nd fastest time of all training level horses/ponies in a numbered CDE course last year, but that mini is 37". My 31" mare is VERY slow and does better in Progressive Cones, where accuracy matters more than speed. I LOVE B-minis!
default_smile.png

Thanks for that clarification RhineStone. Our mini is 32" and the regular cones course - where she was so slow - was very spread out and the few tight turns were on a slope and slick from 3" of rain. We also went first before the course had a chance to dry at all so were pretty conservative. But we WON the shorter, tighter progressive cones class the next day. So what you say makes perfect sense!

What about in a dressage test? Ideally they all should be judged on the same standards and size should not be an issue correct?

jegray21 said:
Can a miniature horse compete in horse or pony classes if VSE classes are not offered? Why do they separate them? I am sure that is a stupid question but I am asking anyway.
What about in a dressage test? Ideally they all should be judged on the same standards and size should not be an issue correct?
Dressage is broken up into size divisions for the same reason most classes are- to give each competitor a better chance for a ribbon and to allow like to compete against like.
default_smile.png
Minis use a smaller dressage ring than the big horses do so we have a separate division. If you go against the big horses you will have to use the larger arena and that can make it harder to turn in a good test as the figures are HUGE for our little guys and it's difficult to show good bend, hold a lengthening all the way across the arena, etc.

The principles of dressage are the same no matter what size your horse is but it's still a fact that a VSE is going to be at a disadvantage in competition against a warmblood when judging lengthenings, bend, engagement, etc. as the larger horse is much more impressive to watch and it is easier for the judge to see the individual elements of their test. They are only human and our minis can seem awfully, well, cute and tiny going down that rail! Their strides go so much faster that it's hard to see moments of suspension and it can look like they're rushing even when they're not. It is absolutely possible for a mini to win a Best Overall dressage award against big horses (it's pretty common in the shows I attend) but it does take work and it's easier if you're in the smaller arena so it's a truly even competition.

Leia

We haven't won it yet, but a fellow competitor has won Best Dressage with her VSE in a big arena quite a bit. It can be done.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back