Not so Easy Entry for Me!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandy

Reaction score
Well, now I know for sure "one size" does not fit all! I have been looking to get another easy entry cart since I sold the one I had a couple years ago. A friend of mine had a beautiful Amish made Solid Oak road cart with spares box, whip holder, wire wheels and also wooden wheels. Also a very nice harness and had only used it a couple times. I jumped at the chance to buy it cause it is exceptionally nice and she paid a great deal for it. It is so much more than the cart I had which was also Amish made. Anyway, to make a long story short, I'm having some trouble getting in and out! This cart has the wooden shaft that goes all the way across where I stepped in on my previous cart. So ya gotta step over. It has a place behind the seat that a person could stand and the seat folds down, but it ain't easy stepping over that either. I'm 4'10 1/2 and to be honest as round as I am tall. My hubby (6'3" and daughter 5'4" don;t have any problem getting in and out. I just picture me being half way in and my horse taking off without me being seated. Guess I'll have to lose some weight cause I really want this cart. Those of you who are height or weight challenged, do you have any problems getting in and out? Also does anyone have a web site or pictures of a properly hitched up mini? (close up pix's) Thanks!

That sounds more like my Amish made all wood country pleasure cart than an easy entry...

does it look something like this?

rs-2.jpg

-Amy

Last edited by a moderator:
It sure does look a lot like it. Only difference I see is mine has the spares box and I think the seat back is a little lower and mine has brass metal work in front and a brass whip holder. So you look like you might be quite a bit taller than me. (Not to mention in a lot better shape!) I'm going to buy the cart and work on my weight. thanks for posting the picture. Can this cart be used in a show? Now I have to start working with trying to train my minis to drive. I only used my other cart 3 times and sold the mini that pulled it. I know zilch about driving. I want to ride in the xmas parade in two weeks if I can get my mini ready.

Depending on the age and previous training of your mini, I think that two weeks is a bit ambitious for both driving and driving in a parade. If your mini has had training and you are just reminding it of its job, you may be ok. Maybe looking at walking him in the parade might be the way to go this year and think about driving next. In my mind it is always better to take more time and do it right, instead of hurrying for an event and skipping over some of the important stuff, like stand, verbal commands, giving to the bit, etc. But that is just me, I train my minis but I am not a professional trainer. They may be able to give you different advise. Good luck.

I agree there is NO way a green horse should be used in a parade, even led, especially as you do not know anything about driving. Leave it for this year of lead him. As for getting in- get a step, just a box so that you can stand up by the wheel and just sit down over it- I am a bit shorter than you so I know what you are up against. I am a lot thinner (90 lbs!!
smile.gif
) but absolutely no more nimble, I assure you, The very first thing I EVER teach a horse in harness is STAND!!! Then when I have a rock solid stand I can work on the rest, and I can also get in and out without danger. As I do not use blinders the horse can see what I am doing back there- my life is in his hooves- if he wants to mess around, well, he is not the horse for me!! Not after I've taught him "Stand". So my horses have to be "me" proof
smile.gif
Which basically entails standing like rocks whilst I scramble in and out. Get your step- mine is a caravan step- it just goes under the seat, and practise with the cart balanced on something solid (NOT the horse!!!
rolleyes.gif
) After you have got it all down pat, and the horses stands and understands, "Stand" put the two together!!! Good Luck- forget this years parade!!!

I happen to have the exact cart which is pictured. If stepping over the rail is difficult I would place a step stool beside it to make it eaiser while someone holds the mini.

From the teeny bit I understand about showing, depending on the sanctioning group hosting the show, the cart would be correct but the wheels might have to be changed out to meet criteria.

I'm doing a Christmas parade in two weeks w/ a well broke mini however it will be his first parade and the parade is only horse drawn vehicles, no firetrucks, Shriners or bands to have to introduce the little guy to.
wacko.gif
I would be cautious entering a parade w/ a mini that is two weeks trained to carting but that is me, someone who is very mindful of not wanting to create problems or setbacks. Leading him would be fine and safe and a fantastic introduction, especialy if he hasn't even been shown. Again, my little guy was shown as a yearling so hauling out isn't totally new to him.

Good luck and stay safe.

Leslie

One of the biggest issues with parades and a green horse to me anyway is they arent fit .. it involves alot more trotting to keep up with the parade then done normally and can be a long ride for a horse. We did take a green horse in a parade and well he was sound minded and a good boy and wespent about 3 weeks really fitting him the best we could. OF course..... we got there and were behind the shriners and there fire engine and little cars zipping all over. The kids were in the cart and I was heading.. he came out took one look at everything and was ready to go the other way.. It took him about 15 min to settle down and by the end i kicked one kid out and put them in another cart and drove him ( i was to tired from all that walking) and good thing in ths case he wasnt really fit as he was tired to but. .... not something I reccomend it could have ended much worse

by the way very pretty cart.

Well, you guys have convinced me not to drive in the parade. Didn't take a lot of convincing! I walked my stallion in this same parade last year (his first) and he was fine. I haven't been training him for the cart as he is 30" and this mare is 31 1/2 and I thought she would be better. This is a 3 mile walk and I was hoping to ride! But I'll take the advice and bring the mare and lead her with me sitting on the trailer (float) when I get "pooped". I do love the looks of this cart. So what is a good book for driving training?

Two excellent books I can think of off the top of my head are "Carriage Driving: A logical approach through dressage" by Heike Bean (very good on how to start a colt from scratch, all the whys/howfor's of hitching, etc.) and one with a blue cover and a black horse in harness looking back at you. I can't think of the name for the life of me from here at work though! LOL. It's by the authors of the carriage driving list and is excellent for cart and harness selection as well as a general overview. Amazon.com might have it, I know www.minitack.com does under "books."

Your cart sounds very nice and no, a road cart is not an easy entry. What makes the easy entries just that is their lack of a bar!
laugh.gif
I only have a true easy entry at this time so cannot comment from personal experience, but I'm told it is a good idea to sit on the cart seat from behind and while holding the reins, swivel and lift your legs in while sitting. Being ball-shaped might be good for that! LOL
rolleyes.gif
biggrin.gif

There have been some great threads about hitching up. Try looking up the "pet peeves" thread, that has 9 pages of good info and pictures. Also do a web search for Regency Minis, they've got a perfect tutorial page with pictures and reasons.

Good luck!

Leia

I'm very happy to read that I'm not the only short driver around here. I'm 4'10" and a new driver last fall but I recently bought a bombproof gelding and I'm having a ball driving. I have a regular easy entry cart and will not be doing shows.

Joyce

It sounds like you got some great advice!! Good luck in your driving training and PLEASE if you have any questions while training and after, while driving, email me and I'll help all I can!! I started the "Pet Peeves" thread on here, and it is very helpful, with lots of info from everyone that I think very highly of!! Anyway, please don't be shy about asking questions... sometimes it can be scary to ask too much on the forum, but I am always prepared to help through pm's or emails! Again, good luck, you're going to love it!!

Latest posts

Back