Not growing hair

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irishroots

Reaction score
I have a yearling filly that I clipped out in April and a couple of weeks later she went to a trainer for a month. Also, in February she had some warts. When she came home 2 weeks ago she had not grown any hair back and what did come back was very prickly. She is a sorrel pinto and her hair is very thin now. I had the vet out and he said her immune system was down maybe due to the stress of leaving for that month. She has been home for 2 weeks and her hair has not grown in at all. She has been on Equine Jr. and is on a good worming program and I have bought a good hair and coat supplement for her. I also have a 5 year old gelding and a 12 year old mare who also are not growing their coats back, the mare is not bad, but the gelding is thin also. I have had my mare for 11 years, the gelding is her son and I bought the filly in the fall of 2010. I have never had a problem with coats before and am baffled on what could be wrong. They do not have lice or any other skin condition, their hair is just not growing back after clipping. Do you think I should have some blood work done to see if they are lacking something? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

I know in big horses warts can be common when they are young. I can't think of anything right off if you are giving nutritional supplements. What type of hay are you feeding?

I would do some blood work and you could do a home wom test.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have you clipped them in April before? I find that when they're clipped early in the year they often have a poor coat quite a long time. My gelding was clipped the start of April, and his coat is just starting to come back in now - it's icky and dandruffy too. Same as you, he's on a supplement and oil and I spray him with rose oil nearly every day. I think part of it is just the overlap between when you clip them and when they would naturally start shedding and growing their summer coat.

It could be due to clipping at the wrong time or using blunt blades. I never clip my big horses after March. On my yard there is a horse of 26 years old that I have clipped for 10 years with no problem. This year the owner bought some second hand clippers and did it himself on the same day that I clipped a few of mine. This horse now has a horrible starry patchy coat and mine are lovely and shiny. When I looked at his clippers the blades were old and blunt. It will grow out in time.

Good luck

Yes, I have clipped them before in April(not the filly as this was her first winter, she was clipped last summer) and have never had this problem. I have double K clippers and sharpened blades, and they looked great after the clip, but her coat has actually thinned out and is not growing. I think I will have the vet back out and have some blood work done. Was so looking forward to showing her this summer, but looks like she may stay home for her yearling year.

rose oil helps with hair growth. contact Jt training center if you cant find there # im me and I will get it to you

Latest posts

Back