Nose question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karma Creek Minis

Reaction score
I have a 3 yr old mare, She has the refined type head, But I have just recently noticed on her face, where the cheek bones shes got these puffy spots like sacks? on both sides of her face. I already had the Equine Dentist out, and no problems with her teeth, we did float them just to be sure. but she doesn't think its tooth related. I cant seem to find any info on anything that might help. I did look up Sinus Cysts but she doesn't fit the description. They are not very wide, maybe 1" wide by 3" long. The equine dentist said her aunts Arabian had this same problem, but when she tried to call her during the visit, she was gone for the day.

No temp.

Eats fine and then some!

No mood change.

No Nasal discharge of any color.

Workouts are fine no problems with airways.

You can touch the spots she does not show discomfort.

I have a call into the vet, but we have to trailer all the horses in for a 2 hour drive. I want to figure out what this could be. maybe bring it up for the vet?! any ideas! :DOH!

Kris

I have had the vet drain that area with a tiny tiny tube. The eyes might have been goopy... can't exactly remember. I think its just clogged snot...

I hate to post here (because I might be wrong), but wanted to give a tiny bit of imformation that might help. Horse was not sick and it wasn't chronic.

I forget what its called, its on the tip of my tongue and I can't seem to spit it out! A friend of mine had the vet come out and get it "flushed". Through the nose and out the eyes, it would just drain it out. Ask your vet about it.

Could she just be shedding her upper caps? I think the age about correct. Here's how one of mine looked during and after... almost looks like "upper tooth bumps". I don't have the most outstand example of how it looked, as I didn't take many pics of her during. But you can see the flared area that would normally be concave, vs. convex.

Minis%20--%2003022006%20--%20025.jpg

Goldie%20and%20Khaki%2006232006%202.jpg

I will take some photos of her! I know its hard to ask these sorts of questions without a photo... But it looks just like Jill's mare! That makes sense!

Thanks Jill for posting photos of your beautiful mare
default_biggrin.png

Kris

I agree with Jill, I did not show my Mare this year, she is two and teeth moving around.

I call the ugly stage
default_wacko.png

You might be thinking of blocked tear ducts.

My horses also get puffy around that age when their teeth are doing their thing etc.

Tooth bumps. What equine dentist did you use? They should have recognized it as that.

Latest posts

Back