Northwest Winter Drive

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

R Whiteman

Reaction score
It has been several years since we have driven the Brady Loop Drive with our miniature horses. This is a very easy drive on country roads that make a loop through the farmlands in our area. I think the drive is about three to four miles on or along paved roads. There is very little traffic on these roads. There are two loops, a short loop and a longer loop for those that might want more of a challenge. Sometimes there is an abundance of wildlife. Last time we saw eagles.

We are planning for January 2, 2011 . We use a boat launch that has parking for trailers as a rendezvous. It does have bathrooms (well sort of) and it is easy to find for most people. You will need a Vehicle permit from Fish and Game. Bring a friend that has one and save money. You should also have a slow moving vehicle sign on your cart. We plan to arrive sometime before 10 A.M and start the drive by 11 A.M. We are not organizers or sponsors of this drive but if anyone wants to join us feel free to come and have some fun. There are no official rules or start times. Food and drinks are on your own.

Ron

Directions:

From Seattle go south on 1-5 take exit 104 and proceed like you are going to Aberdeen. (Exit 104 to hwy 101 stay to the left to hwy 8 then to hwy 12 at Elma about 26 miles from I-5. Brady is about 5 miles further . You will need to be in the left lane after crossing the Satsop River Bridge. The Brady exit is about 500 yards after the bridge . You will be turning left off the freeway onto Brady loop Rd. There is a turn lane. Go to the stop sign and turn right onto Brady Loop Rd. The next turn is left on Foster In about a mile the road goes to the right and turns into Brady Loop Rd W. You will see the Recreational area/boat launch on the left. If you have Google Earth, use Brady loop Rd , Montesano, Washington, as the location. It will show the roads very clearly.

For once I'm off New Year's Eve but I'm working the 1st and 2nd. Dang it! Maybe I can coax someone at work into trading that day for me as I'd really like to come. It would be a great outing for Turbo to get used to other horses and carts by being ponied along. (Of course as a stallion it could be a bit interesting. Hmm. Was planning on gelding in late Jan./early Feb.
default_unsure.png
)

Still, I know Kody would like it and it would be fun to drive in company again.

Leia

You Northwesterner's have all the fun! Wish I were closer to join in your great activities, have a wonderful time to all those who attend!

jleonard said:
You Northwesterner's have all the fun!
Says she taking weekly driving lessons with Sterling Graburn at Gayla!!
default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png
And living less than an hour from the Horse Park! Lucky dog.
default_wink.png

Leia

default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png
default_wink.png

Leia
Lol! OK, OK, I have it pretty good
default_laugh.png
Still sounds like you guys have an awesome group of mini driving friends out there!

default_new_shocked.gif
default_laugh.png
default_wink.png

Leia
Ditto that!

Hey Jess how about if you and Locita come by and pick up me and Butch and we'll head to the beautiful Pacific northwest for some fun??!!!

Should only be a two weeks long trip!

If some distant friends were to be in the area on said day,there may be a chance that a horse and a carriage might just appear. Just a word in advance and you could have a chance to participate in our festive event here in "The Great Northwest." Those that live close , don't make an excuse just bring you and your cayuse and enjoy .

Ron

P.S. This is not that far from Oregon

Leia, if you want to go just say the word and maybe we can carpool. I MAY be ready to go down there by then. ***FINGERS CROSSED*** If it is too much, maybe we can figure out an alternative local to us in the same time frame.
default_smile.png

Amy, who is still laying on the couch trying very hard, very, very hard, to be a good patient.

I was hoping you were going to put this drive together once again! I believe that Sunday is open for us -- I just need to buy an SMV sign to be street legal.

I'll have to check in with a couple of nearby drivers to make certain the Highway 30 contingent is well represented.

Last edited by a moderator:
This sounds like great fun. I will have to see how that weekend sets up for me. Problem is the only horse I could bring is standing around and totally out of condition at this time. No doubt she would love to get out and strut her stuff but at her age it would take a while to get her in shape for a drive like that. Doesn't help that my driver went and got herself pregnant so is unable to hook up the truck and trailer and do the hauling for me.

I will see what I can come up with though I have close to a month to prepare. Believe Susanne will not let this one rest. Short of driving down here and throwing us in the van with them she is already working on how to get us there. Even if I'm kicking and screaming all the way. LOL.

There may be a need to make some slight modifications to our plans. At this point some of the roadways are somewhat damp and may require those drivers wishing to participate to take some proactive training and other precautions prior to the drive. There is a very good chance that conditions will improve. However, here are some things to consider.

I am not sure how difficult it is going to be to attach a snorkel to a driving bridle. I think the hardest part will be to develop a model that will allow the horse to breath through their nostrils and still allow the bridle and bit to do its job. I have a few ideas, but hesitate to elaborate much at this time. It might be a good idea to use the snorkel attachment a few times prior to the drive. Please send pictures of working models.

It may not require SCUBA gear but it wouldn't hurt to practice a few swimming strokes prior to the drive.

I will be checking with the Coast Guard to see if a flare gun and a horn will be required on the carts if they going to pass through extended water crossings. Might want to pick up some life jackets, as they may be required also. Lights are only required at night most of the time. Make sure the carriage or cart is "sea worthy".

Good news for some. There may be some additional opportunities to participate in fishing activities from the seat of the cart. I will check to see if landing a salmon or steelhead during a drive through a water crossing qualifies as an "incidental" catch.

I am looking forward to this drive and hope that a minor inconveniences will not discourage anyone from coming.

I will keep you posted,

Ron

Any suggestions on how best to hitch a mini to a kayak?

Fortunately, to best prepare Mingus for the Northwest Winter Swim -- I mean Drive, hehe -- we arranged for lots of standing water in the "dry" lot. Perhaps if I get him some Mark Spitz-style swim trunks (I know, I'm aging myself) and some hip swim goggles, he'll think he's cool.

default_new_rofl.gif

Be sure to desensitize your horse to the deployment of self-inflating emergency flotation devices as well. Water wings under your tail can be a bit startling at first!

Sleigh bells can be replaced with fog horns for easier sound-production while slogging along and don't forget that duct tape can assist in fastening an umbrella or two to your seatback for a temporary and environmentally-friendly watershed arrangement.

Think of it this way...it could be worse. The temps could drop by then and all that water could be ice!
default_new_shocked.gif

Leia

Please check out my new post and give us your critique on our storm driving turnout.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an update- I happened to mention to my coworker that I'd originally been hoping to get that Sunday off but had given up and to my surprise she offered to trade me for coverage of one of her vacation shifts later that week. So suddenly I'm free to come if the weather holds!
default_aktion033.gif

Susanne has volunteered (pending Keith's agreement) to pony Turbo from their cart so if he pulls any stallion antics there will be an actual human on the end of the line to correct him and that allows me to put Kody in his Hyperbike so I don't have to worry so much about him being out of condition. Given those arrangements and asking any drivers with mares not to walk right next to Turbo I think we ought to be fine.
default_yes.gif

See ya there barring rain, ice, sleet, snow, or other unpleasant winter weather conditions.
default_saludando.gif

Leia

Perhaps if I get him some Mark Spitz-style swim trunks (I know, I'm aging myself) and some hip swim goggles, he'll think he's cool.

I like it Miss Susanne,

How about instead of the speedo you go with a 1930's style one piece suit for modesty of course. I'm thinking that the addition of some water wings might be in order. Or better yet strap a bunch of swim noodles to him for flotation and safety. Wrecks are one thing but I gotta think that under water wrecks are worse, eh?

We have joked for years that we were going to put pontoons on our dogcarts. We get the Newfie folk to have another certification for their water trials featuring the swim/pulling of the dogcart through a water born obstacle course. Wonder what the proper driving attire would be....?

Wonder how many beginners are going to try this... You had better get all over that disclaimer for cheese sakes.
default_smile.png

Bb

I know you all will have a wonderful time at the Winter Drive 2011. We will be thinking of all of you out there sporting your best horses. I hope to join in on some of the fun later in the year. Ron and Dorothy thank you both for the wonderful invitation. We will be seeing you in the spring and know you will enjoy our little guy. I am so looking forward to seeing him driving and doing exactly what he was bred to do.

Merry Christmas to all of you and The Happiest of New Years.

Latest posts

Back