No travel pass through for MISSOURI

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy

Reaction score
Our Federal Vet Office just called to check on our route to Oklahoma & they told us we are not to travel through Missouri due to a disease carried by mosquitoes -- Para (something ) so they wanted to alert us to change our route so that we would not get quarantined at the border coming back.

So-- we have changed our route plans. Will take a bit longer but we are leaving in lots of time.

Thought maybe some others would like to know this as well.

How would they know at the border which states you traveled through? Just curious......

The disease is piroplasmosis and our Federal vet gives us a sheet of paper we have to sign declaring that we have not travelled through the State of Missouri. It has to be stamped at the border when we reenter Canada but other than that they have no way of knowing. What I am most curious about is how do the mosquitos know to stay within the Missouri border???
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not something new to that area of the country and I may be wrong in saying this, but I am sure this has more to due with border control issues than it does with a "a sudden outbreak of a contagous disease".

If it were the latter of the two, I am sure when I googled it, it would be all over the net. All info on it is older information or general information on the disease itself.

I think this is a general cautionary measure/bulletin. Correct me if I am wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
What? I just went thru there and saw hundreds of trailers going thru too. I never was stopped and I even was talking to a state trooper and a DOT guy at one of the truck stops.... hummmm

default_new_shocked.gif
I live in Missouri and haven't heard of anything going on. I'm the first to admit that I live in a vacuum, but surely I'd have heard of it from TV, farrier, vet, etc.

It probably will not get you stopped in transit. THe problem with us is at the Border-- they can quarantine our horses for 21 to 28 days (at our cost) in a facility of their choosing.

Not something we would want to occur. Yes, we have a declaration sheet that we have to sign -- Canada so far is clear of this disease.

I agree Lori--how do the mosquitoes know where the boundry lines of the state is.??

Anyway - we have planned an alternate route so we will not be going thru Missouri. only about 94 Km longer so not a big deal .

How would they know at the border which states you traveled through? Just curious......

They ask where you have been, there are also documents that have to be stamped both inbound usa and outbound Canada. You may be ask to provide proof by fuel or hotel receipts.

I was just going to say that--that they can ask to see all your receipts for hotel, gas and meals, and so check if you have been in Missouri. You can hide the receipts away in a corner of your purse or luggage but the customs officers can search your bags--and in that situation they WILL find your receipts!!

If you read the article i posted it involves both purchased horses, and horses travelling thru the state.

If Canada Customs decides in their mind that you have travelled thru Missouri. Remember we are talking Customs they have the power to make you do what they want. You will have to put your horse in a non effected state for 21 days. I would sure hate to see anyone stuck with that bill. A lot of us have more than one horse.

I would re-route and have receipts of food/food or hotel, as proof of travel.

That is to weird I LIVE in Mo and my vet just gave me health cert's and said nothing PLUS she called OK to see if she needed a permit number and they said no. Something stinks in Denmark. The right doesn't know what the left is doing I'll tell you. So people in Mo can't go out of the state of Mo.? Who knows. I'm going anyway and I DON'T stop cause there is NOT border crossing in MO OR OK............... Plus, OK and my vet didn't tell me anything.

Last edited:
The date on the article was from June, wasn't it? I think the articles I read stated that ticks were the primary source for spreading the disease.

The date on the article was from June, wasn't it? I think the articles I read stated that ticks were the primary source for spreading the disease.
Do the ticks know to stay in Missouri???
default_new_rofl.gif
Sorry! Couldn't resist! Actually the State itself doesn't have a quarantine, it is our Canadian government that is saying they don't want us bringing the disease back with us into our country. The funny thing is that if we camp out with a diseased horse for 21 days just across the border I would think the insects would help to spread it anyway - I haven't met one mosquito or tick that seems to understand quarantines!
default_biggrin.png

That is to weird I LIVE in Mo and my vet just gave me health cert's and said nothing PLUS she called OK to see if she needed a permit number and they said no. Something stinks in Denmark. The right doesn't know what the left is doing I'll tell you. So people in Mo can't go out of the state of Mo.? Who knows. I'm going anyway and I DON'T stop cause there is NOT border crossing in MO OR OK............... Plus, OK and my vet didn't tell me anything.

This is thread was for CANADIAN TRAVELLERS, not state to state etc. Health Certs and Export Certs are 2 different things.

No there isn't border crossing in the United States. There are state lines.

The disease is piroplasmosis and our Federal vet gives us a sheet of paper we have to sign declaring that we have not travelled through the State of Missouri. It has to be stamped at the border when we reenter Canada but other than that they have no way of knowing. What I am most curious about is how do the mosquitos know to stay within the Missouri border???
default_biggrin.png

The sheet that you are to get signed inbound and outbound with customs is for CEM. upon signing you are saying that the horse did not go into the USA for breeding purposes. It has nothing to do with Missouri

Oh ok now it all makes since. I was like freaking out like what, I live in MO and haven't heard about this. But I saw it listed on the forum months ago about the missing horses that could be diseased ridden.

Nope nothin was mentioned about it yesterday when I got my H.C. so I'm good to go.

default_biggrin.png

The sheet that you are to get signed inbound and outbound with customs is for CEM. upon signing you are saying that the horse did not go into the USA for breeding purposes. It has nothing to do with Missouri
Actually I was given 2 sheets by my Federal Vet, one for CEM and one to state that the horses were not taken through Missouri. I didn't get the second one last time we went over the border in June.

Last week friends of ours in Ok. were getting health papers, coggins and etc. in order to go to Nationals. Her vet's office called and said she had to have a number to show. Sounded like N.A.I.S. She told me about it, I told her she didn't, because it was not a law. She got on the phone with various and sundry people, no one could answer her questions. Then she finally called the State Vet's office, and found out it was for show swine only. It seems they wanted to track the swine because of the swine flu, and they "adopted" NAIS way of tracking the show swine. Now wasn't thaT JUST DANDY THAT HER VET'S OFFICE WAS SO MISINFORMED? Is it possible that your vet is looking back at old misdated material, or is it Border restrictions are just tight?

Latest posts

Back