Nita! How is little Helen doing today???

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miniv

Reaction score
Was wondering when you feel she'll be ready to go out into a paddock?

As I read your description of how Helen "maps" her stall around her mom, I was thinking that she'll probably do something like that in a paddock as well.

MA

Well we do have some work to do on the paddock first but she is fine today in fact running around mum. Still does not crash into walls. She continues to map first and then speed up but speed is faster today than yesterday. I have been to a blind horse site and paddock needs some work before they can go out. I have to put something down for different footing about a foot from the fence all the way around the paddock to help let her know when she is getting close to the fence. This is what they recommend.

I dont think the fencing I have would hurt her if she does run into it but want to be sure before turning her out. I have asked the question of those that know but have no answer today. Also we are trying to find tires to go around the trees that are there so she cant run into them either. She still is a bit scared of me but does let me scratch her for a few seconds before running off and she does come back for more. We are doing this at her pace if she wants to leave I dont stop her as I might with a normal foal. I am trying to be sure to call her name and kiss to her whenever I enter the stall.

I know its important to get them outside but its also important that it be done safely. I dont want her to panic and run into anything. One of my sighted foals ran into the goat pen the first time out and banged her forhead so dont want anything in Helen's paddock that can injure her. We also will rake it all over to be sure there are no rocks or holes that she can step in or trip on. We also have to figure out what to do about the 5 inch step out of the stall as even sighted foals hesitate before stepping down.

Overall she seems to be doing exactly what all my other 3day old foals have done.

Tires....auto shop, junk yard, etc. should have plenty and probably give them to you since they have to pay to dispose of them in most states. You might consider cedar mulch around the edges...smells nice and it would also provide a scented warning for her. Try a ramp at the stall door....dirt or other material, just be sure it is wide and not a drop on each side of the entry.

It is amazing how sharp her other senses will be.

Good Idea Bess on the ceder mulch also giving her the smell. I am so pleased she is doing so well. we had a colt who was visually impared and you are taking all the right steps for prepaing her for the outside world.

Continued Prayers for you and Helen.

Jean

A thought about using tires........A little one could get her head and/or her foot caught inside a tire. Have you considered tying a foam pad around the tree trunks?

MA

Or bubble wrap??
default_smile.png

You could put a light tarpaulin over the top to stop them ripping it up and popping the darn stuff!!

The sniffy feely thing is really important- you might try a different footing as she approaches the ramp to go in- old carpet??

You can use aromatic oils to key her into different places- water here, tree for shade there, etc.

We used pieces of material on the walls but she will probably need it under foot.
default_yes.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you all for these great ideas actually we have the small mini fencing that can be moved so we are working at moving some of it to make a paddock for her and mom by themselves. There just are not enough hours in a day. I will hopefully get it done tomorrow and the cedar mulch is a good idea. cheap and doable. Also the ramp ideas are great. As I told Jean in a PM for me this is blazing new ground and even my vets are not that sure about accomodations so any ideas are welcomed. Thank you all for not critisizing me for keeping this little girl at least at this point. I simply could not deny a healthy horse a chance. IF her health deteriorates that is still an option but for now she deserves a shot at it.

I'm so glad to hear she is doing so well!!! YEAH!!!! Another thought for easy and inexpensive padding: there are big sheets of wall insulation you can get at Home Depo or Lowes - the blue colored ones are the thicker, more sturdy sheets. We use them to cut out hoof pads for support during laminitis, but the sheets might be good to put up in areas where you want extra protection. They are about the size of a door - pretty big!

Again, thanks so much for the update!!!!! :aktion033:

Liz R.

:aktion033: Nita, I don't think you will find anyone here criticizing you, we applaud your efforts to give this sweet little girl a good chance at a normal life and if all goes well she will maybe be able to lead a productive life too helping others. I wish you and Helen all the best and hope you keep updating us on her progress
default_yes.gif
:
default_wub.png
:

Yvonne

No criticizing here, just a great Congradulations on your love and care of your little guys.

Great Ma Ma :aktion033: :aktion033: :aktion033: BLESS YOU

Thanks for the update!

The decision you make along the way will always have Sweet Helen's best interests at heart and will therefore be the right ones.

Don't second guess any decision you make
default_wink.png
:

On reading this post I realise there is so much you have to think of to make things safe for this little Filly, sounds like you are doing a brilliant job!

Fiona

Nita so glad to hear she is doing well. If you need anything feel free to email or PM me as I have lived with and dealt with 5-6 blind horses over the years and have helped a number of people with blind horse issues as well. I also have had 3 blind dogs so I am pretty creative on the nonseeing front
default_wink.png
:

Thank you all. Today was a day off for all as we attended the Maine Miniature Horse Show in Cumberland didnt take any horses but it was a much needed break after the emotional week I have had. I met coopermini for the first time, very nice guy with nicely turned out horses. Of course got to see some old horse friends too Bit O Blue and boinky and Enchantress. Congratulations to all for your placings. I have a wonderful friend who came to do afternoon chores for me so I could go. So Helen and I both had a day off but tomorrow I will continue work to get a paddock ready and a ramp done so she can go in and out with mom. I also will try to continue to earn back her trust that I sort of lost with the IGG. I cant thank you all enough for the support you are giving us in this undertaking. I also am trying to work with another baby who hasnt been haltered yet, So have to sit in his stall for a bit everyday too. I could just wrestle him into a halter but thats not how I do it here if it can be helped. He is accepting the nose piece so maybe tomorrow. Again Thanks to all who are helping me with ideas for Helen.

Nita, it was very nice to meet you and Jody and the rest of the family. I kind of guessed after meeting all of you that today was a break and chance to catch your breath. You and Helen have a long road ahead of you but with the entire family I met you certainly have plenty of support.

Mark

Thanks Mark and yes its a 3 generation effort as you could tell. I am the barn idiot I do most of the feeding and cleaning and medicine etc. Jodi and hubby help what they can and so does Mikaela but Jodi is my foaling nurse and Mikaela is our gopher that is she goes for this and goes for that and hubby though interested does have to work a job to keep us in hay. It was a very nice break though. It has been such an emotional week.

If anyone deserved a break yesterday it was you Nita, Helen is in a perfect place with perfect folks to help her get along wonderfully in her new life.

Hey there..Im only about 1/2 an hour from you so if I can do anything to help just let me know! You can email me at home at [email protected] or at work at [email protected]. I did have one other suggestion. I know someone that has a blind horse so the put a bell on her companion so when they were outside in the pasture she would always know exactly where her buddy was, you might want to do this with the mare?

Latest posts

Back