Newly Acquired Pregnant Mini Mare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sassy'sMom

Reaction score
Okay, I have not been on here in forever, because I didn't have minis anymore, but I just recently acquired a couple, and I have a few questions.

One of them is a little mare that is pregnant and due in approxmiately August sometime. They aren't sure when exactly because they got her from an older gentleman that just had a pasture full of them as pets and didn't keep any records.

I am pretty sure she has not had shots or worming in quite awhile. What shots should I give her now and should I booster in a month?

Also, what type of wormer can I give a pregnant mare? And, should I also repeat that in a month?

I am definitely going to get the vet out later this week, but wanted to get some advice from all of you.

And, we pretty sure she isn't due for a couple of months, because she hasn't started to bag up at all yet. I will check that daily to see what kind of progress I start to see.

The Prestige V (five way) would be my choice for a vaccine and doing the booster in July is perfect timing if she's due in August because it will benefit the foal for up to 6 months after its birth.

Both Strongid and Ivermectin are safe for pregnant mares. We also worm the dam immediately after foaling with Ivermectin, which benefits the baby.

You didn't say anything about feed, but this is also a good time to increase her feed with vitamins and minerals that your region may be lacking. Our region is low with selenium, so we have both a mineral block with it available, plus our grain has it. Other areas don't have that problem and actually have too much selenium in their soil. Just thought I'd bring this up since you don't know what kind of care she had.

We also worm the dam immediately after foaling with Ivermectin, which benefits the baby.
Oops, thanks for the reminder, Misty foaled yesterday, and I forgot the ivermectin. Will do it now, probably not as affective the next day, but should help.

Chanda,

Some people say that they just worm within 24 hours of foaling and have the same results.....(no foal scours.)

I agree with all MA has said, but would add that I might go on and vaccinate her NOW. Minis can go earlier than you'd think and have, usually, a slightly shorter gestation than full size horses. If she were mine, I'd go on and vaccinate within the next few days
default_yes.gif

Exactly........vaccinate ASAP and then the booster in July..... Things should be covered.

Thank you all so much! I went ahead and vaccinated her and wormed her on Monday night. I will booster again in July.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back