Newborn foal with deformed foot; advice please

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swd

Reaction score
Around lunchtime today we had a filly born with a badly deformed left back foot. The foot actually is turned backwards and lies next to the back of the leg. It is frozen like that. Vet has been out and gave her some kind of injection and will be back in the morning at 8:00 to give another injection. Filly will need injections for 3 days. I was not able to be home when the vet came and hubby can't remember what kind of injection it was. I am going to attempt to attach a picture but this is my first time posting or attempting to attach a picture. If it does not come through, I would appreciate it if someone would help me get the picture posted so that I can get some input from others as to their experience with this deformity. She is trying to nurse on her own but so far has not succeeded (we have been syringe feeding her and gave her a tube of Foal Response). As of this afternoon, she is strong and has a will to live. We are doing everything we can to save her but we know that she can not survive walking on her ankle bone. We have her splinted to avoid damage to her ankle bone but this makes it even more difficult for her to stand to try to nurse.

I really would appreciate any information that any of you might have about this deformity.

(The picture will not post for me on the preview pane).

It sounds like she may have contracted tendons. Did the vet give her tetracycline? It will relax the tendons. I would keep them in a confined area so the foal will have the best opportunity to find it's dam to nurse. You can email the picture to me and I will post it for you. [email protected]

Here are the pictures for Sara. Any ideas?

Deformed_back_foot_1.jpg

Deformed_back_foot_.jpg

My dear, do not know what to say.
default_no.gif

Lots of
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
for this little filly, maybe it can relax, never seen this before.

Please keep us updated, and thinking of you.
default_cheekkiss.gif

Just need to ask, does everything else look normal her bite, head and neck?

default_sad.png
I have no ideas for you sorry, but I'm praying that someone can help this poor little girl!!!
default_pray.gif
:pray

I am so sorry!!! I hope it can straighten out with the help from your vet and you! I would like to say though that even if it doesnt it may still be ok walking on the ankle. When I was working for a lady taking care of her arabians I kept seeing a buck that was missing part of his leg and he got around fine. He walked on the stump and I am sure that it formed some sort of tough skin so that it didnt hurt him. I just wanted to throw that out as a hopeful thing but most importantly just keep feeding her enough so she can keep up the strength to keep trying to get up and walk! Good luck and hope everything turns out well!!!!

Everything else normal. No dwarf characteristics, vet says not a dummy foal. Showed strong urge to nurse this afternoon but about an hour ago, not such a strong urge. Just can't seem to balance herself enough to learn to nurse. Tried holding her up but then she quits trying. We are going back out to the barn now to milk mare and feed filly. Thank you for your prayers.

Oh my gosh!
default_new_shocked.gif
I've never seen anything like it! Poor baby. I'll send prayers your way!
default_pray.gif
I hope that it is something that can be fixed! Keep us updated.

I'm not very experienced have only had

11 foals born here so far over the past few years

so can't be of any help

But prayers for your little filly and your family

hope there is something they can do

Please keep us posted

I don't have any answers or suggestions but I'm praying for your little girl. I'm sure you and vet together will know what is best. HUGS

Sorry Im no help either as I have never seen one this severe. Maybe tony will come a long and look? Sending prayers and good wishes to your girl!

Kay

So sorry about your little filly. I hope your vet can help her relax her joint.

Thinking of you and your filly.

So sorry about your foal's foot! I hope the treatments the vet is giving her will help. It is amazing what they will adjust to!

That poor little baby. Please keep us updated and I'm sending good thoughts your way.

I know this is a shot in the dark but to me it looks like the hoof was pinned in that position during development. I was just wondering if there was some kind of surgical correction that could be attempted. Just a thought. I am so sorry your little baby girl has this problem. Hopefully and prayers you can get her nursing. Also that the vet comes up with something real soon to help her. Hope the shots help.

God bless your little baby with a miracle.

Latest posts

Back