Newborn Filly Q

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucyem

Reaction score
Odd question I know but we are still trying to figure out why our filly died.

Anyway on a newborn filly would you see an udder? Or would it all be too

small to easily see?

I'm so sorry you lost your filly! On a newborn, you would only see tiny nipples if you looked for them. Could yours have had a hernia or a rupture from birth? Maybe her bladder ruptured? Whatever the cause, I'm sorry.

I always recommend having a necropsy done on stillborn foals at a state lab or University--they can test for viruses like Rhino, determine if there are defects, and do cultures. I know this isn't available for everyone, and sometimes the answer is no answer.

Was the filly full term? How did the placenta look? There are soooo many causes for late term abortions and stillborns.

I can tell this is still weighing heavily on your mind more than a month after the fact--I sure wish I could give you some answers. All I can offer is a hug and a sounding board if you need it.

im so sorry for your pain! sometimes we never get an answer. I had an aborted foal autopsied and they found nothing. We were sure it was rhino but the fetus tested negative for rhino or any other infection. Dr pam i was told by a breeder that unless the body is tested within 2 hrs of aborting tests wont pick up rhino. is that true?? If its true i wonder why the university wouldnt have told me that. we got the fetus to them 5 hrs after it aborted

Kay

Latest posts

Back