New Yearling Jennet

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdbj

Reaction score
Last weekend I went with a girlfriend to look at some mini donkeys a "fella" had for sale. My girlfriend was looking to purchase, I went along for the ride. When we arrived, to make a long story short, seems this "fella" had acquired a small herd of ponies, donkeys (mini donks and mammouth donks), mules, goats and geese, from an elderly gentleman who had passed away. The "fella" did not know the difference between the ponies and the mules, did not know what sex any of the animals were (actually asked my girlfriend and I to check and tell him). After we clammered around in the mud, we determined that there were 8 mini donks total, 3 jacks, 2 yearling jennets and 3 jennys. Yes, they were all running together! Most of the mini donkeys feet were in terrible shape, I mentioned to the "fella" he should get a farrier out a.s.a.p. and he did not know the word - farrier. Now, I appreciate the fact that someone took these animals in but I question this "fella's" motives and are you really doing these animals justice if you know absolutely nothing about them!?!? I could go on and on, but you get the gist of my story. Anyway... my girlfriend came home with a jenny and one of the yearlings and I took the other little yearling. I actually made an offer on another jenny but this "fella" was pretty much out for the all mighty dollar. Again, a whole different story... I am not new to the mini world, have a handful of mini horses and one mini gelded chocolate donkey (age 6). I have my new little jennet, whose name is Bella, in her own little paddock with her own little shelter, right next to the other mini's. I have been spending alot of time with her, getting her to trust humans (seems she had little to no human contact), teaching her to lead, had the farrier out and had her feet trimmed, brushing and petting her all over. She is just so cute and doing real well!

She was not weaned when she came here, I suspect she is about 8 months old, she is awfully skinny. I have her on good quality hay and on a mare/foal ration. My question is this - how can I help this little girl put on weight safely? When and how should I introduce her to her new little "mini" family?

I appreciate any and all info and I apologize for the length of this post!!!

Oh congrats on saving the little one I would suggets t feeding her up a bit before putting her with the others as far as waht and how much to feed here the mare and foal ration sounds like what she needs I am not sure how much you need to be giving her because frankly I have nver rescued a donkey nor have I had a foal!

Good Luck I am sure someone with more experiance will come on eventually and help you out!!

RNR

CONGRATS to you and your friend for helping out these little ones (((HUGS))) I would get some good foal -yearling, feed and introduce her to only a handful or two.( Donkeys dont need grain, but considering her weight and that she is thin) and start her on a little bit of that~ not alot, but its loaded with vitamins and minerals that growing foals need. Also, make sure she has hay in front of her all the time, dont feed a donkey alfalfa, the closest thing to a donkeys natural diet is grass hay. Have a vitamin, minieral and selinium block. ( I see your in Wisc...we're low in selenium) in by them. Just remember to watch there selenium intake..a horse or donkey can over dose on selenium. This is how I have always fed my rescue donkeys and they did great, and no one got a crested neck. I have also add poly-vi-sol baby infant drops, to those that needed it and gave a little bit of beet pulp expanded..only about 1c ) Hope this helps! If you need to call me email me and I will send you my number. Corinne

Last edited by a moderator:
I am so glad that you were at least able to get the yearling jennet from the guy.

If anyone knows how to bring them back to good health it will be Corinne. She is the person I go to whenever I have a donkey problem.

Hugs to you and your new little Bella! She sounds like she has certainly found a good home.

Thanks everyone! She really is such a little sweetie and she is really starting to like humans! She has come along way already in just under two week time.

I am doing everything you gals have mentioned. I agree with waiting to blend her in with the rest of her new mini family. You can tell she is a bit lonely and would love to make new friends, but she really needs a few extra pounds and an area where she doesn't have to share her meals.

Corinne - I am doing everything you suggested and appreciate the advice! Am going to have to pay you a visit in the near future (I am only about half an hour drive from you) and thank you personally!

Again, thanks to you all! There really is no animal more meek and mild and more loving/snuggly than the mini donkeys! I love 'em!

Latest posts

Back