New trailer!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LindaL

Reaction score
Deb and I sold our last trailer (which really was not a great trailer and had issues) last summer and have looked off and on since then for a trailer. But, we wanted one that we could pull with the truck we had, so were looking for a Mini trailer (or something small, but set up for Minis). That is, until we decided to trade in our truck because that too was starting to have issues and we didn't really want to put money into a truck that we were eventually going to trade/sell. So, about a month ago we got a new truck (2011 F-150 crew cab) and also had purchased a Modern Shetland, so if we ever had to haul her we needed something taller than a Mini trailer. I am really big on looking on CL for things and found a trailer on there that I liked and it was at a dealership. Went to the dealership last Saturday to see it and it had sold. We looked around and saw a few others that we liked, so put in an application. Yesterday, we got the call back that we qualified for a bit more than we originally thought, so we went back this morning to see the ones in our price range. We bought a 2003 Titan Classic 3 H slant GN!! We have never owned a GN before, so we will need to "practice"...lol It is still at the dealership, because they are putting on the GN hitch for us tomorrow morning. I am very excited and a little nervous about such a big trailer, but we figured this is really what we need for shows.

Here are some pics of it. The side view pic is one I "borrowed" from an ad site. The other "side" views were taken where it sits scrunched in between 2 other trailers. The inside view shows the dividers (the previous owners also had Minis and they made the dividers "longer" with wood...which helps us out for now til we can get custom made Mini dividers put in).

We are READY for the shows next month!!
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif

IMG_6270.jpg

IMG_2236.jpg

IMG_1258.jpg

8891_1.jpg

A new truck AND trailer?! Well, now aren't you just on top of the world, LOL That's great! That is about the size I am looking for. You will love it I'm sure and hopefully have many hours of fun!

You will love it. Keep in mind that it pulls differently than a bumper pull. It will track INSIDE your truck, meaning when you turn the trailer will turn sharper. So when you are turning right you will need to swing wider to make the turn or risk hitting the curb or big rock (just saying!).

Thanks you guys! I am very blessed to have both the new truck and trailer! Both were badly needed, so we just went for it...with the thought that we needed something that would last us for years and take us (and our horses) to shows safely.

I am sure we will love the GN after we get used to pulling it. We will take it to a big parking lot to practice backing and turning...lol Our 1st show is in about a month, so we'll be ready!
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't want to burst your bubble, and I might be wrong, but can an F-150 pull a 3-horse GN trailer. I know my 1/2-ton pick-up can't pull more than my 2 horse straight load bumper pull. I do know a GN usually pulls more easily than a bumper pull, but a 1/2-ton can't pull much.

Don't want to burst your bubble, and I might be wrong, but can an F-150 pull a 3-horse GN trailer. I know my 1/2-ton pick-up can't pull more than my 2 horse straight load bumper pull. I do know a GN usually pulls more easily than a bumper pull, but a 1/2-ton can't pull much.
When we bought the truck we asked specifically what the max weight was that it would pull (9000 lbs.)...It is a 5.0 V-8. We also showed our truck to the salesperson on the trailer lot and he said this trailer could be pulled by our truck no problem. If we were hauling 3 big horses, I could see that there would be an issue, but we would have 6 Minis max in the trailer, so that would only be approx. 1800-2000 lbs. loaded weight (minus the weight of the trailer).

When we bought the truck we asked specifically what the max weight was that it would pull (9000 lbs.)...It is a 5.0 V-8. We also showed our truck to the salesperson on the trailer lot and he said this trailer could be pulled by our truck no problem. If we were hauling 3 big horses, I could see that there would be an issue, but we would have 6 Minis max in the trailer, so that would only be approx. 1800-2000 lbs. loaded weight (minus the weight of the trailer).
The bigger size of your pick-up in the first place probably means it has more power. My 1/2-ton is just an extended cab, short box. Glad you looked into it, I know of many people that jump into pick-up and trailer buying blindly and end up under powered. The trailer looks very nice. While I like my 2-horse, I'd like a 3-horse someday.

Congrats Linda, to you and Deb. I'll be looking forward to seeing you (and your trailer) next month!!!!

Barbie

I drive an F-150, 5.8 litre V8. It would pull that trailer even with 3 full size horses in it but I would also know that I was pulling a good load. I would also know that I don't have enough truck/power to get that trailer out of the way if I encounter trouble on the highway. After being nearly run down by a semi on the highway a few years ago that is something I am very much aware of!

Even with just Minis/ponies in the trailer you will probably know it is behind you--I'm guessing it is probably 7' tall? I have pulled 7' high trailers and I have pulled 6'6" trailers and the difference is quite noticeable--and it's the reason I deliberately looked for a trailer no higher than 6'6" the last time I bought one.

I would never go back to a trailer of any kind after two years using my Transit Van- I do still have a trailer, just in case, but I have not used it now for two years. Your GN does look nice but not nice enough to make me want to trade. And I get 30 to the gallon!

Well, we got it home.
default_yes.gif

We ended up having to have an extender put on the hitch, because of our short truck bed...and luckily we bought a trailer with a tapered "goose nose" because of the turning radius. Don't wanna break out the back window with the trailer...LOL!
default_rolleyes.gif

Pulled pretty good...was a bit stormy (windy/rainy) coming home so it was a bit jerky from the wind sheer, but otherwise fine.
default_aktion033.gif

WHOOP!!

Congrats!
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

I know you've been wanting a trailer for a long time!!

I pulled my 20' stock trailer with two horses on it all the time with my 2002 5.4L V8 F150. You gotta be careful turning, since it was a short bed truck, but it pulled very nicely. I added air bags to the rear suspension and sat as high as it was normally, when loaded down with 1500lbs of tongue weight
default_smile.png
My trailer weighs in at 4300lbs, plus two horses (2400lbs), plus tack, for a total of about 7000lbs. My max rating was 7500lbs, so I was close, but still had a 8% safety zone. 10% is what I normally recommend.

Congrats!! I'd HIGHLY recommend the Prodigy brake controller (NOT the P3, its upgraded cousin). It stops sooo smoothly, much better for horses than the older ones that "snap" the brakes. You'll have fun with that rig, enjoy it!

I pulled my 20' stock trailer with two horses on it all the time with my 2002 5.4L V8 F150. You gotta be careful turning, since it was a short bed truck, but it pulled very nicely. I added air bags to the rear suspension and sat as high as it was normally, when loaded down with 1500lbs of tongue weight
default_smile.png
My trailer weighs in at 4300lbs, plus two horses (2400lbs), plus tack, for a total of about 7000lbs. My max rating was 7500lbs, so I was close, but still had a 8% safety zone. 10% is what I normally recommend.

Congrats!! I'd HIGHLY recommend the Prodigy brake controller (NOT the P3, its upgraded cousin). It stops sooo smoothly, much better for horses than the older ones that "snap" the brakes. You'll have fun with that rig, enjoy it!
Thanks Nathan,

It is the prodigy brake controller not the p3. We had it in our old truck and had it transferred over. And you're right very smooth stopping. Light changed quickly coming home and less than 1000ft from the light i was able to stop the whole rig in time relatively smoothly. I think on less windy rainy days the ride will be a lot smoother but felt like I had plenty of power to pull it. Looking forward to getting out there and learning about pulling the gn. Deb
yes.gif

We have a 2011 GMC Duramx Diesel 3500 Shortbed with trailer pkg and a Hensley TS3 hitch. We haul a 38' fifth wheel RV that weighs 12,000lbs empty (no I cannot back it up
default_new_shocked.gif
). What we were told...

RV loaded 14,000lbs

Truck wt 7000lbs

Hitch wt 300lbs

Air bags on rear 150lbs

Two adults 350lbs = 21,800lbs

Before we bought the truck we did a LOT of research. So many told us to go bigger on the truck so we would ever have to buy another truck. Do what you can to make your truck/trailer hauling as safe as possible. Get the rear air bags (with remote) to help level your trailer...well worth the money...and extra braking system which will truely help you slow down quickly but safely.
default_yes.gif

I like your new trailer...very nice and good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back