New to Forum AND to mini horses ....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julie_in_PA

Reaction score
Hello :saludando:

I'm Julie, I'm new to this forum, and am also new to mini horses. We're getting our very first mini horse this week ... possibly even today ! :aktion033:

I'm so excited ! The mini horse we're getting is a little black mare named "Shine." She rides, drives, is good with her feet, VERY tame for even children to be around her and all over her ! She's actually mixed with pony and is just a LITTLE BIT over the size of a mini. But she is still quite small. My 3 yr old daughter has already ridden her and lead her around. She's a VERY well behaved little horse. And she is supposedly pregnant. She would've JUST recently been bred ... so would be due next year.

Anyway, I need any advice that would be helpful to a new mini horse owner. I have owned full size horses all my life ... just NEVER a mini.

So any really helpful advice would be greatly appreciated !
default_yes.gif
: :bgrin

Hi Julie, I am also from Pennsylvania. I have 3 minis. A filly and 2 geldings. Have had them for 3 and a half years now. Sounds like your new mini is a real nice one and I know you'll have lots of fun with her. You'll find lots of advice here.

Thank you
default_smile.png

I'm in Southern PA ... around the Somerset County area.

Question ... the owner who has her now isn't graining her at all. WHen it's warm season he just feeds her hay and she grazes on grass. That's how our horses were also ... we didn't grain them during warm seasons when they could graze.

So I'm assumnig this is fine to continue ... ? No grain as long as she has graze and hay ?

Welcome aboard, Julie!

Be sure to go to the main page of the Forum for the list of other side-forums here. One of the pages is called "The Best of....." There is a wealth of information in there about basic care, breeding, foaling, etc.

MA

Hi Julie! :saludando: Sounds like you'll have a nice mini. I like the pic in your signature. Where in Pa? I'm on the NY/Pa border. Good luck with her, ask any and all questions. Welcome to our forum family! Farrier is still every 8 wks as is worming, same stuff in rotation as the biggies just less dosage. Teeth should be checked yearly, you can feed 5 minis for what it costs to feed one biggie. (hint hint) Keeping your paddocks mowed will cut down on fat ponies and the risk of founder, a good feed (I'm not a fan of sweet feed, but it does the job in small doses), nice soft grass hay. Can't wait to hear when she gets home. Lots of pics!

So I'm assumnig this is fine to continue ... ? No grain as long as she has graze and hay ?
Correct. Most minis and a lot of ponies are what big horse people refer to as "easy keepers". So be sure to watch her weight (feel for the ribs) thru the hair she'll get this winter. You don't want her to gain a big lot of fat but you don't want her to lose if she is carrying a foal.

Read up as alread stated on the mini foaling stuff. I believe it the last quarter that you'd be wanting to feed extra to help with milk production.

Hi Julie!!

I am also new to mini's!!!

I dont own 1 yet but hopefully soon!!

Welcome to the forum!! Everyone is VERY informational and friendly!!

--Kaylin

Hello and welcome from Virginia!

There's a lot of good information and friendly people here!

bye.gif

Welcome to the world of minis. You will be in love.

I'm Joyce up here in Connecticut at Little Folks Farm and be sure to keep posting so we will know how you two are doing together. Good luck.

Congratulations on your newest addition! What a cutie, and the perfect size for your little girl. It's so wonderful to find a horse you trust with your child, they are worth their weight in gold
default_yes.gif
: .

~Allisa

:saludando: welcome to the forum (and the wonderful world of minis) from sunny, HOT Arizona :bgrin

we too started with big horses (and still have them), you will find that a lot of the care is the same, however we have discovered as we got into rescue that one of the most common forms of mistreating the minis is overfeeding them... they get horribly fat, they founder, etc... so do read the posts on the best of and watch her weight, with her carrying a foal you don't want to underfeed her either. touching is important as it is easy for them to get too fat or too thin under their thick winter coat and you just can't see it... you will learn a lot here and everyone is happy to answer questions so again welcome and enjoy
default_wub.png
:

Welcome from Ohio!!! Feel free to ask questions and learn as much as you can.

Kareng

Thanks everyone
default_smile.png

I can't wait till she comes home ! I've been waiting so anxiously for the owner to call me, but haven't heard from him.
default_unsure.png
: Starting to get nervous as to why.
default_wink.png
: Pray that everything goes well and we still get her. I hope that he didn't decide to keep her or something. I'm already heart set on her, and think our daughter is to.

:saludando:

welcome Julie from Southern NJ

you came to the right place to meet nice friendly people and get tons of helpful info

the knowledge on here is just amazing

You will love minis, we also had full size horses most of our lives and this switch to minis in our

50's and 60's is just the perfect horse world for us now

Lori

Hi Julie and welcome from central Arizona!! You will have a lot of fun with your new equine- she sounds very nice!!

Welcome from Southern Oregon!! :aktion033: :aktion033: You'll love the forum......and minis. They're a bit addictive......hard to have just one! :bgrin

Hi from hot and muggy NC! Finally getting some RAIN! Now maybe the hay can GROW.

You will love minis. And they are VERY addictive. Great place to learn here.

Latest posts

Back