New to driving....

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrae

Reaction score
My parents are giving my son a gelding that is broke to drive for Christmas. I've been shopping for everything we need and I am very confused about bits. There are several options....can you guys give me suggestions? What is the best bit to use for pleasure driving around the farm??? Is the same bit ok for ground driving and round pen work??

Use a pencil to measure the width of his mouth - stick it through where the bit would lay and add a 1/4" on either side to find the length of bit you need.

Minis tend to have a very shallow palate and, although you may have heard that the thicker the bit the more mild it is, what is thick on a Mini is skinny for another horse. I prefer to use a fairly narrow bit whatever type it is.

There are 2 main types of bits. Snaffle and leverage types and it refers to the way they are hung on the bridle. Snaffles are hung on rings and effect mainly the mouth. Leverage bits are hung on a link above the bit and give poll leverage as well as effect the mouth. You will need to keep in mind that if he should decide he wants to show only certain bits are allowed - check your rulebook.

I find that broken snaffles with their nutcracker action are not kind to Minis - they poke them in the palate and squash their tongue as there isn't a lot of room in there for a bit. The horse should be able to comfortably close his mouth around the bit. A mullen mouth snaffle with a narrow mouthpiece works fairly well but can be confusing to the horse because any rein action affects both sides of the mouth. Better yet is a narrow french link snaffle, it is more sensitive and effects only one side at a time.

Each horse will have his own preference and so you may have to experiment to find one that fits well and works for your particular horse. Be sure to have his teeth checked by a vet or dental practioner first. If the horse shows signs of discomfort, such as opening his mouth or shaking or tilting his head or backing, etc, and his teeth are good, you may need to try a different bit. If you know someone you can borrow a bit from to try out that is cheaper. Boil it first and before returning it.

Whatever bit you buy be sure it is of good quality metal with no rough edges or sharp points. With bits you tend to get what you pay for.

Hope this helps and congratulations and good luck with your son's new horse!

Last edited by a moderator:
I just have loose ring snaffles on most of my harnesses
default_yes.gif

I personally don't care for a loose ring cheek as the horse can get his lips pinched in the corners no matter what mouthpiece is used. I use rubber bit guards if I do use a loose ring. I prefer an eggbutt traditional half cheek. I would also try asking his previous owners what they used on him.

There is a thread on "The BEST of the horse forum" about bits. Some good info...
default_wink.png

I second a mullen mouth (straight bar) with a half cheek and thin mouth. most of the horses i train and show go in them and prefer them over a regular snaffle any day. I have found though it can be awkward to swap a horse that is used to a regular snaffle over to one, as it's a little "too" soft for them and it takes some serious getting used to to be able to refine them back to soft hand movements.

I personally would try the mullen first then go from there. I have had a very hard time finding a french link in mini sizes so it would be easier to go with the mullen first then hunt up a french link if that doesn't work.

As one who is still new to driving myself, I can say that all of the above information is great, but most important is the advice to ask what the previous owners have used with him. Go with what the horse is already used to.

As you and your son become more experienced, you may want to change, but for now you have enough to learn without trying different bits.

-- BUT (edited to add)!!!

It is always possible that the previous owners made a poor choice in bits...perhaps one that pinches or is a poor fit.

Before starting to drive, I would arrange for a couple of lessons with an experienced driving trainer, both as an introduction to driving and to have this person check out the fit of bit and harness.

I second a mullen mouth (straight bar) with a half cheek and thin mouth. most of the horses i train and show go in them and prefer them over a regular snaffle any day. I have found though it can be awkward to swap a horse that is used to a regular snaffle over to one, as it's a little "too" soft for them and it takes some serious getting used to to be able to refine them back to soft hand movements.

I personally would try the mullen first then go from there. I have had a very hard time finding a french link in mini sizes so it would be easier to go with the mullen first then hunt up a french link if that doesn't work.

I also chose a mullen bit to start my mare in and got heat from my friends that it was not an appropriate bit because I drive with sidecheck and they said a mullen is for overcheck only. Is that true?? I love my mullen bit and so does my mare I can show in that bit and it IS appropriate for all driving diciplines isn't it?? My friends have made me lose my confidence in my decision so I need reinforcement that the mullen is my best choice.

no a mullen is absolutely NOT just for check bits..if that was the case they wouldn't make them with a thicker mouth piece and no cheeks. Overcheck bits should be a very very fine mouth that is a completely seperate bit than the one you are using to steer the horse with. A mullen mouth bit is known to be the most gentle snaffle and is widely accepted and legal for dressage. I'm a firm believer in starting out as "gentle" as possible. If you need something different later that is another story but no sence in putting them in something stronger than they need if they don't need it! Trust your instincts they are leading you correctly! If your mare goes good in one by all means go with it! this is not directed at your friends but it seems like many people go into mini's that are ignorant of have no practicle horse background in general and very little in performance ends. It's good that you are asking instead of just taking their word! A good trainer or driver (rider with big horses) should have a thorough understanding of their bits and how they work and what they are used for. I would highly recommend anyone who is interested in bitting horses to get some good books on how each bit works and why it should/shouldn't be used. Learn the mechanical aspects of how a bit works as well as the biomechanics in how it works on the horse. I see so many horses that are overbitted or incorrectly bitted and many times the riders/drivers have very strong hands .....it's quite sad! All of this will help you better understand and choose a correct bit.

Thanks for the input guys. Does anyone here use the Myler bits? I've heard they are wonderful.....I also think I will take the advice of finding a trainer to help us! This guy hasn't been driven in a while, he has been a pasture pet at my parents, but did do parades and that sorta thing before. I was actually in the process of searching for a gelding for my son and my parents stepped in and had their stallion gelded for him. They were trying to surprise us both, but hubby realized that I was moving along with my plan to buy one and had to spill the beans to me! My son adores this horse, so I hope he drives as well as they think he does! We had him at our farm for a little while and my son loved to work with him...he would jump him, build obstacle courses, etc. So they have already bonded....he will be so excited to own him...and will have no patience with mom while she is cart shopping and figuring all this out!

Again, thanks for the advice and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!

no a mullen is absolutely NOT just for check bits..if that was the case they wouldn't make them with a thicker mouth piece and no cheeks. Overcheck bits should be a very very fine mouth that is a completely seperate bit than the one you are using to steer the horse with. A mullen mouth bit is known to be the most gentle snaffle and is widely accepted and legal for dressage. I'm a firm believer in starting out as "gentle" as possible. If you need something different later that is another story but no sence in putting them in something stronger than they need if they don't need it! Trust your instincts they are leading you correctly! If your mare goes good in one by all means go with it! this is not directed at your friends but it seems like many people go into mini's that are ignorant of have no practicle horse background in general and very little in performance ends. It's good that you are asking instead of just taking their word! A good trainer or driver (rider with big horses) should have a thorough understanding of their bits and how they work and what they are used for. I would highly recommend anyone who is interested in bitting horses to get some good books on how each bit works and why it should/shouldn't be used. Learn the mechanical aspects of how a bit works as well as the biomechanics in how it works on the horse. I see so many horses that are overbitted or incorrectly bitted and many times the riders/drivers have very strong hands .....it's quite sad! All of this will help you better understand and choose a correct bit.
THANK YOU!! This was exactly how a mullen bit was explained to me and it is so good to hear from you that it is the right one. I wanted the most gentle bit possible to start with and was sold the mullen. She is so gentle and willing I wanted her to have a very gentle bit and the mullen has been perfect!!

Thanks for the input guys. Does anyone here use the Myler bits? I've heard they are wonderful.....I also think I will take the advice of finding a trainer to help us! This guy hasn't been driven in a while, he has been a pasture pet at my parents, but did do parades and that sorta thing before. I was actually in the process of searching for a gelding for my son and my parents stepped in and had their stallion gelded for him. They were trying to surprise us both, but hubby realized that I was moving along with my plan to buy one and had to spill the beans to me! My son adores this horse, so I hope he drives as well as they think he does! We had him at our farm for a little while and my son loved to work with him...he would jump him, build obstacle courses, etc. So they have already bonded....he will be so excited to own him...and will have no patience with mom while she is cart shopping and figuring all this out!
Again, thanks for the advice and MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!
That is so fantastic about the relationship your son already has with his new horse. Wonderful!
default_aktion033.gif

I was hesitant to mention Mylers because they are often out of the price range of a beginning driver but yes, in my opinion they are absolutely the best mini bits out there bar none. My gelding loves the low port mullen mouth (#32 w/port I think?) because it has the solid feel of a mullen but has tongue relief and independent side action so he can still get clear directional signals. They have several bits that are effectively French Links (the comfort snaffle and hinged mullen) and all their bits are properly in-scale and safe. Plus the resale value is unquestionable so if your horse doesn't like the model you picked, sell it and buy another one.
default_yes.gif

Susanne's advice is
default_aktion033.gif

Leia

I want to bend Ms. Leia's ear and pick out some new Myler bits
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
default_yes.gif
I've got two (favorite!) geldings to start and might as well do all I can to make it good for those special boys
default_wub.png

What is a good, NICE bit to start a horse and just drive around the place for fun? And who is a good source for purchasing Myler bits? Price isn't an issue.

http://www.minitack.com/bits.htm

Jill,

They sell Myler bits for minis here. I've heard such wonderful things about their bits that I think I will go ahead and start there!
default_yes.gif
You have to keep in mind that the bit is only part of the picture. Any bit in the right hands can create a thing of beauty but in the wrong hands......

If you talk to the Myler people they will tell you that their bits don't work much different from any other bit and they are slightly evasive as to why their bits work. I have to say that before I went to a poll pressure bit like the Mylers I would look at other bits first. While Mylers are a well made, high quality bit you can get as good quality without the Myler form. I have some Myler's and they are a nice bit but I also have quite a few other styles and makes of bit because I have horses that work better in them. I don't consider the Myler a beginner bit for either horse or driver and prefer to see them in more educated hands.

Well hello there Ms. Jill!
default_saludando.gif
The place I got mine and the best place I know of online to see all of the mouthpiece styles up close is Estate Horse Supply at http://www.kee-port.com/myler.htm. I bought mine there because Estate is 40 minutes from my house but they're still great even if you live across the country!
default_wink.png
Just about everyone prices these bits the same, there's not much difference between vendors that way.

So looking at that website, let's see here. I chose the "EPB 32 HP MYLER MULLEN BARREL" for Kody merely because a friend of mine had the bit, it looked friendly so I asked to borrow it, and Kody loved it immediately. I was NOT going to mess with success!
default_wacko.png
*LOL* I went to Estate Horse Supply the next day and bought one. It looked just like the "EPB 04 MYLER COMFORT SNAFFLE" though so the only way to tell them apart was to handle them both. The snaffle had more movement when you went to pull back on both reins, the mullen sort of stopped and became a solid bar after the initial give. Both are very nice bits although the mullen version is listed as being a level 2, 3 instead of a beginner bit. I tried Kody in a "EPB 40 HP MYLER HINGED CORRECTIONAL MULLEN BARREL" once because someone sent me one when I thought I'd bought a used comfort snaffle and I figured it was worth a try but it didn't look comfortable to me at all and Kody agreed. I've never seen or felt him so unhappy with a bit, even one of those nasty pinching cheap snaffles.
default_no.gif
I'm sure it works for some horses, but not for mine!
default_new_shocked.gif

I tried on a show bridle on Kody at Clickmini's barn the other day and really liked how the Myler bit she had felt in my hand. I think it was the "EPB 40 MYLER HINGED CORRECTIONAL MULLEN BARREL," no port, and what surprised me was how much it felt like a French Link. All sections of the bit moved easily and fluidly, it felt friendly in my hand, and Kody seemed quite content with it when I slipped it in his mouth although I didn't get to try driving him in it. That one is listed as being a level 1, 2 so might be better for a beginning horse.

Really any of those bits (the comfort snaffle with or without low port, the mullen mouth with or without low port, and the unported hinged correctional mullen barrel) would be good bits for most horses as they're just plain comfortable. I would avoid anything twisted or with a high port and consider buying the book "A Whole Bit Better" as it nicely explains all the different bits they offer and the principles behind shaping bits the way they do.

Many generic big horse bits come with the features that make Mylers so nice but in mini sizes a Myler is the only thing you're likely to find at this point that has an arched mouth to clear the tongue, no large joints to poke the palate, smooth round bars, good metal, copper inlays, and such a wonderful range of motion. I'm really sold on them at this point (in case you couldn't tell.
default_whistling.gif
) Many horses will go just fine in a decent mullen mouth but if you've got one like mine that wants a bit he can move and play with but hates having a large joint poking his palate and digging into his tongue, a Myler is the answer. The Silver Star look-alike bits are okay but have larger mouthpieces and nowhere near the same motion.

Hope that helps.
default_biggrin.png

Leia

Edited to add: MiLo, we were typing at the same time. Can you share the brand names of some of those other bits? Do they come in 3.5"? I've seen some nice ones in 3.75" and up but not many good alternatives for the truly mini mouth. I'd love to find more!

Lori,

Thanks for your advice. I'm new to driving and to minis, but have ridden and shown big horses my entire life, so I do understand the importance of bitting properly and of soft, gentle hands! My experience has been with gaited horses and bitting is so important with them, therefore I am really sensitive to the issue! This thread is very helpful to me and I'm learning a lot from you guys!
default_aktion033.gif

Leia,

Thank you for the link!

There are 2 main types of bits. Snaffle and leverage types and it refers to the way they are hung on the bridle. Snaffles are hung on rings and effect mainly the mouth. Leverage bits are hung on a link above the bit and give poll leverage as well as effect the mouth. You will need to keep in mind that if he should decide he wants to show only certain bits are allowed - check your rulebook.
Actually I am going to have to disagree with that...a snaffle can be hung from a link above the bit and still be a snaffle- all of the mylar bits are done that way and are ALL considered snaffles and are all legal with AMHR.

A Baucher(hanging cheek snaffle) is defined as such- has a ring on the side of the mouthpiece, with a smaller ring above to attach the cheekpiece of the bridle. Tends to concentrate pressure on the bars. It is very fixed in the mouth.

A bit is a snaffle because it creates direct pressure without leverage on the mouth.

Bits that have shanks coming off the bit mouthpiece to create leverage that applies pressure to the poll, chin groove and mouth of the horse are in the category of curb bits(or leverage bits)The length of the shank determines the degree of leverage put on the horse's head and mouth. As well some bits give you slots to choose where you put your lines on the shank. All shanked bits require the use of a curb chain or curb strap for proper action and safe use.
default_yes.gif

Pam is correct. Bouchers are not a leverage bit at all and just because it hangs from a seperate ring at the top does not make it a leverage bit.

Actually Pam if you read my post correctly you will notice that I said "there are 2 MAIN types of bits" and there are several in betweens of which one is the Myler bit. It is indeed a leverage bit as are all bits that are hung by a link above the cheek ring and although they call some of their bits "snaffles" they are not true snaffle bits because although they don't create leverage in the mouth or on the chin as they don't require a chain under the chin they do create leverage on the poll. They are poll leverage bits in that when you use rein action the mouth piece does not move and rotate with the rein as they are hung fixed to the cheek piece. They are of slighter poll leverage than a shanked bit but they are indeed a leverage bit and not a true snaffle even though they are acceptable in the show ring. I don't personally care much for a Baucher because of the fact that with their fixed position they don't allow the horse the luxury of relieving pressure by moving the bit with his tongue and they also hold the mouthpiece closer to the palate. As with all bits they work better on some than others.

I forgot to say Leia that I am fortunate enough to live fairly close to a wonderful craftsman that can make me pretty much any bit that I show him in Miniature sizes. I have also ordered bits from websites all over the place - I just google it!
default_biggrin.png

Latest posts

Back