New Tattoo

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Valerie

Reaction score
This is my 3rd Tattoo.......just got it on Sunday at the Tattoo Expo in Seattle....and I thought it looked great...and yes, it hurt while getting it done, but I expected that. It is on my lower leg, just above my ankle......I already have a sea turtle there and so added some plumeria flowers on either side of it...... but here is my question...yes, it is full color and the artist did "tighten" up the turtle.....but my leg is swelling/and red...and hurts....and again, I know the healing process it can and does take time to heal. I have never had one swell up though.......from my foot to my knee...it's swollen... I did elevate my leg last night & put ice on it...didn't do much. I have been using aloe vera on the tattoos.....and trying to keep it pliable..not sopping wet......I know I can use moisturizer...but just curious if other have had the swelling and did anything help? I do see that is a little red around the new tattoos...but not as red as it was last evening.

I guess if nothing else and it still looks red tomorrow, I may need to see my Doc and hope I don't have an infection. Anyhooo...any tattoo healing advice would be much appreciated! I guess it's good I have up to date tetnus shots....but I am just a litte concerned, not overly worried, but concerned.

Thanks all!

I would definitely check with your doctor. As you said, a little redness and localized swelling is not unexpected - but that extensive amount of swelling could indicate an infection. My husband has three tats and I have one and have not had those issues. But his aunt got one on her lower leg a few years ago and had the same symptoms you are describing and needed some heavy duty antibiotics to clear it up.

Good luck!

Barbara

Yikes Valerie!!!

I would go in and have it checked out. Can't hurt. And swelling up the leg doesn't sound right. Ice should help too. Let us know!!!

Ditto. Sounds like an infection. I've never had any swelling with any of my tattoos. Let us know how you're doing.

Hi all....

Well after having the leg elevated & iced this evening, it was getting so I could not walk on it, so I had my husband take me to urgent care. Happy to report it is probably just an infection and they put me on a 10 day antiobiotic and also prednisone for 10 days as well.

The doctor was super nice about it although my husband kept telling me when the doc would leave the room that secretly the doc probably thought I was a "dumb *ss" for getting a tattoo at a tattoo expo....haha.... actually Ken did as the doc before we left if he thought that and he just calmly washed his hands and said, we all make mistakes.
default_smile.png
I liked him .....anyhoo...I think I am going to live and keep my leg....gotta keep on the meds and the doc told me to put warm compresses on it....go figure, I thought Ice was nice....guess not in this case......and if it does not improve in a day or two to go back to see my regular doc or go back to urgent care.

I will keep you all updated and who knows...if it actually heals properly I may even post a picture of it, but not while I am sporting this huge puffy leg....or should I say I am just fluffier than normal.

Thanks for all the good words of advice.....it's always nice to be able to come on here and get some answers.

I am glad they got you on antibiotics! Get out the yogurt!!! HeeHee! Hope it helps soon.

I had a cankle after i got my lower leg done!!! Even when i would get work done on my ribs i would swell. Also I would stop with the aloe and just use a plain lotion as aloe can sometimes draw out color and when you do the warm compresses i would be putting something between your leg and the compress as the heat is going to draw out all kinds of stuff!

I highly recommend you get tested for Hepatitis (now and down the road)

My husband works in public health and they regulate tattoo artist here. There are some really nasty things you can get from careless tattoo artist.

An infection of any kind means the artist was NOT doing a good job with sanitation.

Oh Valerie, that sounds so painful. I hope the meds work and all is well. Good thoughts to you!

I highly recommend you get tested for Hepatitis (now and down the road)

My husband works in public health and they regulate tattoo artist here. There are some really nasty things you can get from careless tattoo artist.

An infection of any kind means the artist was NOT doing a good job with sanitation.
I second the Hepatitis testing. You can have Hepatitis for years and not know it, meanwhile it does all kinds of nasty damage to your body. I read a statistic the other day that people with tattoos were much more likely to contract Hepatitis and NOT just during the tattoo or from the artist or from their equipment; most tattoo artists/shops are actually very careful about sterilizing their equipment. A tattoo, before it's healed, is really just a big open wound on your skin and it can let a lot of stuff into your body. You need to really be careful about where you go and what you do until it's completely healed; what you rub it on accidently, like on the inside of a bathroom stall in a public place, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Valerie said:
....gotta keep on the meds and the doc told me to put warm compresses on it....go figure, I thought Ice was nice....guess not in this case...
Ice constricts veins and helps with some things but I think in this case you would want heat to help battle the infection and encourage circulation. You want your body to flush the area and bring healing.
default_smile.png

Looking forward to seeing the new tattoo!

Leia

Instead of the lotion you are putting on it use antibiotic cream on it...Keeps it soft and helps keep infection away..information for you next one!! LOL

Quick update......yes, the leg is still sore but the warm compresses did help....as did the strong antibiotics........ it's not the same color as what it was to begin with.....I will have to let this all heal over and then do a color touch up later......(much later)....... I have been using Aquaphor ointment....it's a healing ointment, not a lotion, so that seems to be helping as well.

Had a lot of peeling even though I kept it moisturized....but then I was expecting the peeling because it was very, very unhappy....... still don't know if it was an infection or just that I had a reaction to the color. At this point it is water under the bridge anyway......and I will try to post a picture in the next few days......hmmm...maybe one of the ones I took right after and then one of what it looks like now...... we shall see....... good thing I like the design...haha.

Thank you all for your advice, I read it all and I truly appreciate each and every one of you taking time to send your thoughts my way.
default_smile.png

Back