New Sport Harness- Sliding back band?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicTheMini

Reaction score
I am about to order a new harness...The mini sport harness from Camptown harness. I can't decide if I want to upgrade to the sliding back-band or not. I am going to go for the freedom collar. The extra cost is no issue, but is it good for my horse? I want what is best for my boy. I drive in a regular easy entry, but would like to upgrade within the next year to something better (hoping for a smart cart). Would you go for the upgrade? What are some of the benefits? Thanks! L

Unfortunately, I can't help you on the sliding backband question, but I wanted to butt in anyway and say that I am Totally Jealous that you're getting a Camptown harness! I've been drooling over them for ages, and with one of those and the Freedom Collar, I bet my little guys could really fly! Ah, well, I'll keep saving my pennies...

Have fun shopping!
default_saludando.gif

Well, I'm very new to driving and had asked advice on harness and cart here not too long ago. With the help of a few who do the CDE that I am interested in, I did purchase the sport harness with the sliding back band when I ordered the harness on the advice of Hobbyhorse23 (Leia) I also asked about the Smart Cart and everyone loved them, so I was fortunate enough to order one. Love the cart! Love the harness! I understand the concept of the sliding backband and if you are having the harness made, why not get it now for a few dollars more instead of down the road when it will cost much more to get one! I wanted to get everything I could to start out and the cart was well worth the $$$ spent!

BTW ... I have very minimal experience at driving still, but feel good about the equipment I was able to purchase and the help and advice I received from all the great folks on this forum!
default_wink.png

I also ordered my Sport harness from Janie at Chimicum tack and she is awesome to work with! I believe they are the same harness.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saved my pennies for a long time and was almost there...of course the horses always know when there is extra money so one of them decided I needed a vet bill. Now, my family is so nice this is going to be my Christmas/Birthday present.

I am hoping to start going to CDE's this year with my boy, so I want to make sure I have everything he needs to be comfy.

Thanks,

Lindsey

I was trying to post a link for you to check out a Utube video I found while doing some research on the sliding backband ..... couldn't get the link to post correctly, but if you want to watch some interesting info on this, get on the Utube website and type in sliding backband and there are several good British advertisments showing a demonstration on how the stuff works along with other harness equipment that I though was interesting.

I would definitely get the sliding backband. You will want that sort of thing when you are going high speed through cones and over uneven terrain. I have two Camptowns, I ordered both with the sliding backband.

I also highly, HIGHLY recommend getting stainless instead of brass on a CDE harness. If you have brass, you WILL be judged on how highly polished the metal is. I just sold my beautiful brass harness in order to get stainless.

Thanks! I think I will get it. I will most definately get SS hardware, not brass. I think the SS looks better than the brass, but it is also much easier to take care of.

Lindsey

I think the SS looks better than the brass
Well, I think it depends on the color of your horse. If you're cursed (I mean, "blessed") with a red horse like I am, brass looks pretty darn good! *LOL* But oy, the work!
default_wacko.png

Definitely go for the sliding back band. I don't have any problem continuing to use my traditional fixed tug Camptown saddle but the sliding backband has been great on all the sloping roadsides I drive on and it's really sort of fun the way my Hyperbike now slides through highspeed turns. Kody's also had fewer back problems this year but I can't say if it's the sliding backband, the stifle surgery, the new warmup routine, the stretching routine, or more likely some combination of all of the above.

Benefits: When you're driving on level ground the SBB will act just like regular tugs but when you go on a slope it will even out the pressure so the cart isn't pulling strongly on one side of the saddle and causing the horse discomfort/imbalance. This means a smoother ride for you, less strain on the horse, and less torque on your shafts.

If you're considering a Smart Cart or anything with marathon shafts you may want to look into quick release tugs as well. They only come in stainless and make it MUCH easier to get your tug loops on those closed marathon shafts but work just the same for straight shafts as ordinary tugs do.

By the way, one of those British YouTube videos features photos I took of the Camptown mini SBB saddle at the 2007 National Drive! I found that kind of funny.
default_rolleyes.gif

Leia

I've never used anything else- took me ages to get used to the idea of American harness with fixed tugs- just seemed so "cheap" and unsafe to me, so I have never bought one.

I would not like to drive over uneven ground without my reciprocating tugs, I really would not.

But as I said I have never used the fixed ones.
default_smile.png

And the strict rules for harness arer Black - brass, Brown= SS, so that is what I have always stuck to.
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind too that the hardware on your harness needs to match the hardware on your vehicle for show purposes!

Latest posts

Back