New pics of Blaze

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ferin

Reaction score
I got some new pics of Blaze, our 15.3 hand gelding, the other day. Some friends brought their minis over to drive and Blaze thought they were very interesting. Our minis are pastured right beside him all the time but these new ones still got to him.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

When we bought Blaze we were told he was a pure Quarter Horse. I think he is either a totally different breed or at least has something else mixed in. He doesnt look like a pure QH and he sure doesnt act or move like one. Any guesses on what breed he might be or have mixed in?

I love his movement!
default_wub.png
: He's ridden mostly western right now but I plan to teach him some dressage and possibly jumping in the future.

DSC_0697-2.jpg

DSC_0590-2.jpg

DSC_0581-2.jpg

DSC_0619-2.jpg

DSC_0617-2.jpg

DSC_0602-2.jpg

DSC_0609-2.jpg

DSC_0626-2.jpg

DSC_0592-2.jpg

DSC_0616-2.jpg

DSC_0601-2.jpg

I cant forget Belle, our big girl. She was interested in the new minis but only for a few minutes. The grass interested her more.
default_rolleyes.gif
:

DSC_0670-2.jpg

He does look like he has something a little finer boned in there, and his head seems a little different. Complete stab in the dark but 2 different things came to mind - Peruvian Paso or Saddlebred. . . different shots of him made me think different things.

Regardless - he's LOVELY!

Doesnt look like any QH I have ever seen- looks like a Saddlebred to me!!

Could be a TB/QH or Arab/QH cross...both are very common. You are right....he sure doesn't look purebred.

But he sure is a nice looking animal!

I would guess Appendix. (Quarter x Thoroughbred)

He has a lot of thoroghbred looks and I don't see anything to indicate Arab in him. Bone structure all wrong IMO. But I am not a QH expert by any means as my foundation in horses is firmly based with Arabs.

Now with that being said, it is possible to have a horse registered as full AQHA and still be mixed with Thoroghbred bloodlines as the AQHA has basically an open registration. The way it works is that the Appendix horse is a first generation cross and though sanctioned showing and events can qualify to become a registered AQHA horse and hence pass on his Thoroghbred lines to future fully registered AQHA foals.

And it sounds like there are now 2 different types of quarter horses; Stock Type and Racing or Eventing Type

See this link and look at the Appendix section. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_Quarter_Horse

Any way you look at it, he is pretty!

Missouri Fox Trotter

or

Tennessee Walking Horse

I'm with Mary on this one. Especially shows on that one photo of him walking.

Jean

Thanks so much for your opinions!

I really dont think Blaze is pure Quarter Horse. He doesnt look, act, or move like any QH Ive ever seen. But whatever he is, he's my big sweet boy.
default_wub.png
:

I am far from being an expert thats for sure but from the way he's structured and how he moves. I would say either that hes an Appendix or definitly a Saddlebred. But thats just my opinion.

[SIZE=14pt]i see some TWH...his long face looks like my Majors and his tail too
default_yes.gif
: , what ever he is he's beautiful! Nikki
[/SIZE]

Sure looks like some thoroughbred blood there. Or Tennessee Walker, maybe, from the way he moves!

SuziB

Meant to add, too, he is simply beautiful!

SuziB

Soon as you ride him, I'm sure you will find out in a hurry if he's stock or gaited

ps, did I mention he was TWH?
default_rolleyes.gif
:
default_yes.gif
:

He looks to me like an Appendix QH. I have one and I also have a TB. He has the TB's big head. He also carries himself like my TB does. I also have 2 TWH's and to me I dont see that in him. He is a gorgeous horse!! JMO

He looks like an ArabxSaddlebred, aka a National Show Horse. They get the refinement from the arab and the head and size from the saddlebred. I've seen a few Quarabs, arabxQH and I don't see that in him. Could be TB could also be ArabxTB cross. Either way he's sure is pretty. A pretty horse is never a bad thing around my house regardless of the breed.
default_smile.png

Karen

Appendix Quarter Horse no doubt. Looks a lot like the paint gelding I had [build wise] I don't see any gaited in him at all. The appendix is much more refined like this horse is and I see and shoe a lot of appendix QH in this area.

He looks like he has Saddlebred in him. His head is almost identical to a fullblood Saddlebred that a friend of mine owns.

MA

Latest posts

Back