new mare, what color is she

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shazzyear

Reaction score
i am getting ready to transfer my new mare's papers & need to change her color. she is down as a sorrel pinto, she is not a sorrel. i am guessing a smokey black, or buckskin may be a little bit of silver too. what do you think? her dam is a buckskin pinto & her sire is a silver dapple pinto.

100_8902k.jpg

100_8908j.jpg

100_8911k.jpg

100_8912.jpg

here are some pics of my other filly that is a smokey silver dapple. this filly's sire is a smokey cream & dam is a sorrel pinto with the silver hidden.

this is why i think the pinto is a smokey black.

100_8661nh.jpg

My best guess is silver buckskin, are her hooves striped? Many silvers have striped hooves. Here is a filly I have who is silver buckskin.

BeeTeUtiful2008.jpg

We used to own a pinto mare that looked very much like yours......She looked BROWN and white, but there was no doubt she carried the creme gene. We crossed her with our (now deceased) Raider who was a silver bay and they produced a palomino!

That was our first palomino we'd ever had.......I think it was about 12 years ago.......and I remember calling a long time mini friend and breeder when the colt was born and saying rather loudly, "Tizzy had a colt! AND HE'S PINK!!!!!!"
default_laugh.png

She verbally patted me and reassured me that he was palomino and the "pink" would fade. Anyway, that was how we discovered that Tizzy was more than just BROWN.

I do not think she is Silver Black, I don't think she is Buckskin either ( Stormy, have you ever had that mare tested, BTW??)

I agree with you that she is Smoky Black, with the proviso that Cream can inhibit Silver expression, so she could be Smoky Silver Black.

I have not had my mare tested but there is no other option on her color she is by a silver buckskin ond out of a sorrel pinto.

I have not had my mare tested but there is no other option on her color she is by a silver buckskin ond out of a sorrel pinto.

Stormy,

Your mare looks to be a smokey black pinto, unfortunatly she looks nothing like a silver buckskin. I get a lot of smokey blacks and mare is the same color as them. She cold also just be a fading black with no creme gene.

Her sire, may not even be a silver buckskin. Unfortunatly many people just do not know the colors and pick something that they want rather then what the horse is. If your mare is a smokey black, her sire would at least have to be a dilute.

There are other options on color. A buckskin can produce a palomino, buckskin, smokey black, chestnut, bay, black, perhaps even the silver gene. Her chestnut/ sorrel dam can produce chestnut/sorrel. Of course, bred to another color, she can produce other colors, but she herself, bred to another chestnut/sorrel, can only produce chestnut/sorrel.

Last edited by a moderator:
the mare i own is silver buckskin, i have seen the sire, i own the dam...there is no doubt what colors they are. The filly is a BTU grandaughter. But whatever, just giving an example. This guy is much more likely a silver smokey black though I have not sent in hairs yet. Not even close to the fillies color.

Cowboy1.jpg

Latest posts

Back