New mare questions..

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jean A

Reaction score
We are waiting on the Coggins results before bringing our new family members home. Glad to have the time to get things ready, and to figure out what to do next.

A bit of background..I have had horses, and mini-donkeys, but never mini horses. The mare and to-be-gelded 1yr old should be here next weekend. The owner did understand that we needed some testing to take place, and I believe he is also getting shots. If not, we have a wonderful vet who makes farm calls. The mare is 11, and should be ready to foal soon. She was pasture bred, and one of her herd foaled a week ago. There is no way of knowing when the day will be..

We have things ready to make sure she is off fescue as soon as she arrives. Where she is, they are eating off large round bales. What, I do not know, but locally tends to be a mix of orchard, fescue, clover, and whatever else is green.

Should she be wormed when she arrives? My gut says yes..I plan to worm everyone..but how close to foaling is safe? What is best to use for the mare? Both will need farrier work shortly after settling in. I do know 3 farriers who work on minis. The owner is a kind old man..he just has too many to care for.

default_thud.gif

I would definately worm her , I think if shes hasnt been done for a long time the the potential from a large worm burden is far worse than worming close to foaling , does she have a bag forming at all ? if not then you are probably not that close to foaling anyway

good luck with your new "kids" Im sure they will bring a lot of joy to your life :)

Latest posts

Back