New here

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dutchhollow

Reaction score
I have been lurking for a couple of weeks now, and wow, what a lot of information, so glad I found this forum!

I am another one of those that never understood the mini horses, have had horses all my life, and my daughter started bothering me for one a few years ago, I said we weren't feeding anything that we couldn't ride!

I gave in last fall, she was going to an auction with a friend that has a mini mare (dd was 12) I have her a check and told her not to come home with anything that looked like a dwarf shetland (I had seen dwarves and didn't know what they were at the time, and I don't mean to insult anyone that has one, have learned a lot about them on the forum). She purchased a 3.5 year old mare that had been exposed (came with amha papers and a service memo). Anyway, once 'Chance' was here I figured out quickly why everyone is crazy about them, I compare her to a cross between a horse and a dog, and she won me over almost immediatly. She was apparently rasied 'right' is very affectionate, but has good manners, loves to be groomed get baths, is great with her feet , spray, everything we have done with her or to her.

On the fourth of July, she snuck off by herself (to my great panic, I had been watching her like a hawk) and had her first baby. A boy, we are calling him Indy (not sure what his registered name will be). I will have to look up how to post pics and get some up.

Anyway, been doing a lot of reading. Did go and visit a breeder last week and will probably be adding another horse or two. There is a show next week I will be going to , I had a cart for my ponies when I was a kid, and would kind of like to learn about driving (again).

Anyway that is a short, lol, intro, I will have a million questions, and I hope I don't drive you all crazy with them!

055.JPG

Welcome to the forum.

As you've already found out; they are like potato chips... You can't have just ONE.
default_wink.png

You little mare is very cute, and the colt is darling.

I had three foals this year, the first crop from my new stallion, and they are all just wonderful, and so darn cute.

Welcome from a fellow Iowan. Congrats on your gorgeous mare and colt. This is definitely the best place for information on the breed. There are also a couple of Miniature Horse clubs. The Iowa Miniature Horse Club and the All American Miniature Horse Club are both Iowa clubs that have sanctioned shows and fun shows each year plus lots of members that would love to tell you anything you want to know about minis! Cant wait to see more pictures!

004.JPG016.JPG

Well, can't get new pics under. But Thanks for the welcome and I will check out those Iowa clubs, Thanks!

Any guesses as to his color, stallion is silver dapple paint. I have had 'guesses' of silver dapple and chocolate/flaxen. He now has very dark hair around his eyes, muzzle, I will get new pics. Also plan on trying to clip him, we are having horribly hot weather and he has a ton of baby 'wool'.

Welcome to the forum. You will be forever happy that you found this spot.

So much information and sometimes even a savings in vet calls. When we call the vet for something unusual they are always interested in any feedback from this forum to help with their diagnosis.

20 years ago miniature horses were not so common around our area, but they surely are now.

Hmmmm. Well Mom is definately a silver bay... colt head shot I would guess he will shed out to a silver black(usually silver dapple), but his body shot while trotting almost looks palomino. so my guess for the moment will be that he will shed out to be a silver dapple and that the light is just playing with me eyes on the second shot. Are both eyes dark?

ETA: Are those white sprinkles of hair I'm seeing on the mare or did she just possibly have some dried sweat on her that day the pic was taken?

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on your purchase, your new baby and finding the Forum! Welcome from sunny AZ! Mama is definitely silver bay and foal looks to be silver dapple. I love driving- it's a blast and these little guys ARE addictive!

Baby is a silver dapple. "Chocolate/flaxen" is the Rocky Mountain Horse term for silver dapple/silver black (sometimes also used for very dark silver bays).

Thanks all! Yes mom is registered silver bay, and yes she does have some grey in her coat especially along rump, not enough to be roan I am sure, but it is there. His eyes do seem a lighter color to me, but not blue.

Silver dilutes often have lighter colored eyes.
default_smile.png

CONGRATULATIONS on your new mare and foal! Welcome to the forum, from pretty much straight north of you across the border in Ontario, Canada.

Wow. Your daughter scored! Nice little mare and congrats on the trouble free delivery! Cute little colt, too!

I'm also a big horse person and always thought minis would be my consolation prize when I could no longer have biggies. Well, I wish now that I'd taken the dive into minis years earlier... they are just the coolest. Mine are also very much like dog horses... just a blast!

Latest posts

Back