New here and looking for my first mini ..lots of questions

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cinm

Reaction score
Hi everyone my name is Cindie I am in Rawdon,Quebec Canada and on the search for my first mini.I had 4 horses 10 years age for 12 years then between having 2 kids breeding dogs(showing and do hunting courses with them) and full time jobs my husband and I let the horses go as it was to much.Now my girls are growing up 11 and 13 I work from home and breed French bulldogs no more shows or hunt test with my German shorthairs(only 1 retired girl left) and have the time for horses again.I have a big barn 12x16 that I am in the middle of fixing up .I don't want big horses again I want 1 mini to spoil.My husband on the other hand would like 2 either a mare and her foal or a mare who is due in 2013.I wanted one to spoil but will she or he be lonely?I have no plans on showing etc,.Maybe just get a little cart for her to pull around .Maybe stick my girls and are French bulldogs on there lol..I have so many question so anyone willing to help that would be great.

So

How big of a stall?

cement floor or not?

Where is the best price to buy horse mats?

1 or 2 minis( I don't want her to be lonely but I also want her to bond with me)?

That it for now I am going to visit 2 farms on Saturday 2.5 hours from me 1 has 2 mares due in 2013 and a 1 year old (yearling in horse terms I think)lol..and the other has 2 colts and 1 fille ready in September any specific questions I should ask or things I should look for?

Like they say "you can't have just one!" LOL

Actually, as you know, they are herd animals and 2 will be much happier than just one. If your hubby is wanting 2, believe me, take advantage of that. Many of us have to "fight" our husbands for that "just one more". LOL

That's what I say about French bulldogs when someone buys one"You can't have just one".I had convinced my husband to get one next year and he said ok.Then I started looking around and between me and my oldest daughter we convinced him this year..lol Then he said well if you are getting one might as well have 2 .Not hard to convince the deal was ok if I can get a mini he can get his 8 chickens lol...

Absolutely do not recommend cement floors and I dont keep mine stalled at all, however since your winters are more severe, you will probably need stall time. My pens I use for foaling or on the few times I use them are 12' x 12'. I dont think I'd like them smaller as you risk a horse getting cast on the fence/wall if they are too small, etc.... and I would not want to be housed in a cramped area- horses need room.

I started out with just one- my old stallion, and he did fine by himself and we have a terrific bond. Ha, that was back at the beginning of 1995- when I bought 'just one' for a 'pet'. Riiiiiiight.
default_whistling.gif

When we "stall" ours they are in a 16'x16' area. Calf houses make great mini shelters. They are the perfect size and easy to move. I'd go with dirt floors. Concrete can be hard on joints. Kind of like you standing on concrete all day. If you want to be able to spray everything down you could use concrete but put rubber mats down. Keep us posted on your mini search.

We have stalls as small as 6'X8' because that is what fit, but I don't necessarily recommend that small. They work just fine though, except of course for foaling. Our minis are only stalled at night and are turned out in an area with several overhang areas (like a run-in), even in bad weather like today. All our floors are dirt, covered with stone dust and rubber mats.

Check our website (link below) for lots of information on minis and you can also see (especially in the 4-H section) some shots of our barn.

Be sure to check out the general information on the Lil Beginnings Main Page - link at top of this page) for lots of useful information.

Funny you should ask about questions to ask when you are shopping for minis because I plan to write a "what you need to know before you buy" page for our website. Keep checking back! If the minis are registered make sure the papers are in the names of the sellers so they can be transferred to you.

And please, treat your minis the same way you would treat a big horse. Yes, you can "spoil" them some, but they are horses and need to be treated as such. For myself, I will never go back to big horses, as you can do so many fun things with minis! Good luck!

If you shop around a lot and are flexible and take your time, you can probably find one that is happy if not happier being alone. When I was buying my boy - who is arriving today!! - I asked on several other horses that I was interested in to see if they would be happy alone, before I found this dude who is! He is not my ideal color, but a good horse of course is never a bad color and he is super friendly. But it is much easier to get two and not have to worry about it! They can have complications in foaling so it would be easier to get a mare and foal rather than a pregnant mare. One with a filly would be easiest so you don't have to worry about gelding later.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks everyone for all the advice.I think I said it wrong stall before he will be out during the day in at night but in the winter that will be his main living area as it is always cold -20 to -40.So I want an area big enough for him or 2.Should they be togther in one big area or divided?I am in no rush but I am very limited on where I am to these little guys,I really want to see them before I buy.Also if further I don't know how I would get him or her home?

There are good transport services or if it's just a little ways away- perhaps within a hundred miles or so, sometimes you can get the seller or a friend with a trailer to deliver for a small fee to cover gas and time spent? Yes, unless you are very experienced, I dont really recommend getting a mare in foal either. It's not for the faint of heart in the Mini world. Great idea to see about finding one that does well by itself (and they do learn also unless they are a real 'nervous nellie' type of horse). I would make your stall or stalls as large as you are able and unless they get along very well, dont recommend putting too many in a small environment. Someone is going to always be the boss, and probably hog the food, etc....

I ship dogs in and out all the time so spending money on transport would be fine with me,but I don't even know where to start.I have had pregnant horses before is it much different in the mini horses?I think yes I would rescue a mini.

I ship dogs in and out all the time so spending money on transport would be fine with me,but I don't even know where to start.I have had pregnant horses before is it much different in the mini horses?I think yes I would rescue a mini.

It seems that minis have more dystosia and other problems with birthing. Not for the "faint" of heart. I waited 11 months almost to the day and my foal was stillborn so ....

Yes, foaling out minis is very different form foaling out big horses and definitely not for the faint of heart. They seem to have a lot more dystocias and you really can't let them foal unattended as the foals seem to have a harder time getting out of the sack.

If you are willing to consider rescues, there are plenty of those around and quality and history varies. The Northeast Miniature Horse Club (www.northeastminis.org) often has rescue minis available. They might not be too far from you and contact info is on website.

Latest posts

Back