New Guardian for Our Herd

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DunPainted

Reaction score
In August, we went to our friends' farm production sale and bought a female llama baby (cria) which our son named Patsy. She came home last night and we're absolutely in love with her.

These animals are incredibly alert and immediately form a bond and Patsy has already shown signs of protecting us from our St. Bernard. Ohhh, how we love to hear her hummmm when upon entering the barn.

Here's a pic my son took this afternoon. Seems Miss Patsy is attached to Mama Llama Huber.....I just can't stay away from her. She's sharing a stall with our weanling stud colt, Phoenix, as we're having a torrential downpour.

Thanks for letting me share!

PatCindyOct5.jpg

DavePatsyPlay.jpg

Cindy

saludando.gif

Cindy,

She sure is beautiful!! I love her markings!! Congratulations!!!

Joyce

Congratulations on your new little llama...We love our two and they are wonderful guard animals for our little horses...
aktion033.gif
wub.gif

IM not a huge llama fan but my uncle raises them. This year we had 3 on the bottle as they were to weak to get up and nurse on there own. I had never seen such a ugly site as those babys were when they were first born. WE were even yelled at by llama people for bottle feeding them. We were told if they were not strong enough to nurse on there own they should die then. Well sorry we dont work that way, if something has the chance to live we do everything to give them that chance. Hence the 3 bottle babys. WE had Bandit, Shadow and Spook. We still have Spook the other 2 babies were sold. They follow you everwhere and if we ever wanted to get anything done we had to lock them in a very solid pen as they would find a way to get out to follow you some more.

I do like the bottle babies.

Cindy & David,

"CONGRATULATIONS!!!" on little cria - Patsy!!

She is just adorable and I know you are going to really enjoy her!

Love the pictures! I will bet she will be a good guard animal for your minis!
yes.gif

Oh Cindy, how sweet. You and David look great. Congrats on Patsy, she's too cute.

[SIZE=14pt]She is so beautiful! We had a llama once whose name was Bruce.... he was a red and white pinto.... I loved his eyes and loved to hear him sing. As he got older though he got agressive with the stallion he was companion for even put him on the ground once! Bruce left soon after that but I will always miss him. He loved me and my daughter Katie. I have thought about getting another one but I dont have much grass anymore and I dont think they would be happy on dry lot.[/SIZE]

Lyn

Cindy, she is ADORABLE! ok, now to keep myself from wanting one......hmmm....jennifer
saludando.gif

Cindy,

Patsy is beautiful. I've thought that a llama would be fun to have, but my husband is dead set against a llama (he thinks they are nasty, because he heard they are known to spit
rolleyes.gif
). I think they are fascinating and think one would be great to help keep the minis safe.

Yes, llamas spit....even baby ones who test their boundaries!

Last night, when my husband "assumed the position" on the sofa for his nightly TV fest, I brought baby Patsy into the house and let her get in his face!
rolleyes.gif
Generally, my husband likes animals, but Patsy's body language is difficult for him to read.

Well, sure enough, she pestered him enough to come for a stroll outside. While back at the barn, I was fussing with her back which she doesn't like, and she gave me a half-hearted spit. I SPIT RIGHT BACK AT HER (an old llama woman told me about maintaining their respect)!

Never spit before in my life. Coincidently, husband was in close enough proximity to get a little Mama Llama spray on his shirt. The look on my his face was priceless!
biggrin.gif

How sweet!!! She is adorable, and sounds like a great addition to your family!
yes.gif

Liz R.

I think Patsy is darling, say, you two kinda look like eachother!
wink.gif
laugh.gif

Latest posts

Back