New Goats

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jess

Reaction score
I posted this on the goat forum I'm on but thought some of you might be able to help and if not at least get a good laugh.

Well it's official I've lost my mind. We've had our three pet wethers(Yoda, Floppy Top, and Patch all Boer/Alpine/Nubian/LaMancha crosses for about a year and a half. They drive me crazy and at times I believe I could seriously kill them. Like when they're tap dancing on the cars or eating the groceries as I unload them from the van but they are so funny and affectionate providing hours of comic relief. I love them more often then not. My boyfriend and I have discussed raising and breeding goats for quite some time. Anyway someone Bryan works with knew we had the boys and asked if we wanted a free goat that he was given a year ago he didn't know anything about him including if he was neutered.(There was NO question when we got there that he isn't) so we went and looked at him. I knew bucks smell so I was prepared. Every surface in the back of the van was tarped. We get there and he's nice looking but his feet are very over grown and he wants to kill us. I can't blame him as his environment wasn't the best, fed but other care lacking. We get him home and put him in the boys old pen and Hmmm says Bryan lets let the boys out so they can check him out. Ok sounds like a good idea. Well lets just say Bucky(not his real name still need to think of one)put on quite the display(I had no idea they were so flexible or gross)and had us dying of laughter. So that was Saturdays adventure. Sunday Morning I'm drinking coffee and reading the classifieds online when low and behold an ad that says "FREE Goats to APPROVED home ONLY" Well being the sucker he is Bryan says why don't you call and we'll go take a look(you would think by now he'd have learned there is NO such thing as "looking" if we go "look" it's coming home with us.) So we get there and see the two does she has(she's breeding Myotonic goats now the does she was giving away are saanen/alpine crosses mom(5) and daughter(2) and they no longer fit into her breeding program.) and "Oh by the way if you want you can take him too.(Him being Elmo the Nigerian Dwarf wether that has been following me around looking for a handout.) So being the suckers we are we get them loaded up for the six hour drive back home(yes that's right six hours with three goats in the back of the minivan.) We get home get them unloaded and my daughter Rachel who is six claims Elmo as hers. Everything went uneventfully so I knew something had to go wrong the next day or during the middle of the night.(These are goats after all) We wake up the next day and let the 3 original boys out. Bucky starts his morning routine of mumbling, screaming and peeing. I throw him his hay and grain and decided to tie out the girls and Elmo while Bryan makes a pen for the girls and our boys who have not been penned since they were two weeks old they kept getting out so we gave up and they wander our 17 acers during the day and go in the horse barn at night in their own stall. We're used to our boys who crowd and trample you and have to have their moring coffee with you. So having more then doubled our herd over the weekend I go in with collars and leads and the race is on. The woman said they were " A little skittish" I didn't think that meant suicidal. They started throwing themselves into the walls of the barn and leaping over my head half an hour and 2 pounds of grain later the girls are happily munching hay and grain on the side hill until Rachel decides after being told 10,000 times to leave them in that the dogs(boxers) have to pee. Well I'd left Daisy the daughter unhooked knowing she'd stay by Mama(Honey). About two seconds after the dogs came into sight and went to sniff Mama she ran full force to the end of her lunge line(Never use quick release collars on goats) and was making for the buck who was tied out while we cleaned out his pen and put up more fencing for him. While I'm trying to catch the does Elmo decides he doesn't like being left alone and breaks his collar too. I was at least smart enough to but a chain collar(non-slip)on the buck. We manage to get the dogs and buck put up and after three hours we finally got the girls and Elmo into their pen. I was done being nice at that point and informed them that they could stay in the bleeping barn until he## freezed over.(Or we got the fence done). I'm happy to report that they are quickly coming around and learning that we aren't so bad(Hmm if someone brought me treats everytime they approched me I don't think I'd think they were that bad either.) Bucky is getting his hooves trimmed later today and I need to decided if I'm going to have him neutered or not. I know nothing about him yet he has a ear tag so I Know I can find out the person who keeps those records is out until next week on vacation(second thing I did when I got home was call the nys dept. of ag. I was hoping someone would be able to give opinions on him as to breed(I suspect kiko or part kiko) and would you use him for breeding or neuter him. Based on conformation. We are going to start raising goats as a hobby for now but I want good breeding stock not just anything so if he doesn't look like he would be a good prospect he'll be neutered. Right now we are doing a trial run on breeding before we spend hundreds or thousands on registered breeding stock we're going to try to raise pets and 4-H goats to start with and if we like it and want to get further into breeding and showing we'll get our registered stock. Anyway without further delay here he is. I will post pics of the rest later today. Thanks in advance for your opinions. Please excuse the leftover duct tape on his horn. It was for his safety and ours while transporting him.

DSC00394.jpg

DSC00384.jpg

DSC00374.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back