New Foal Unsure She was bred to correct Stallion

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSR's_Judy

Reaction score
[SIZE=12pt]I have a mare that I took last year to have bred to a stallion. She foaled a nice bay filly over the weekend. I paid to have her bred to a hetergenous black and white stallion, so I should have had a pinto foal. But she is all solid bay.[/SIZE]

I called to tell the stallion's owner that my mare foaled an nice filly and when I told him the color, he said it should have not been a solid color. He said he wondered if he bred her to the wrong stallion, his other stallion is a solid color bay.

He told me to have her parent verified, now how do I do that?

His pinto stallion that she was to be bred to is DNA typed but the bay stallion has not been DNA typed but he will get it done.

He put her on the pinto stallion's report, will I not be able to registered her because she was not on the correct stallion report.

Oh this is just a nightmare!!! :no:

I would appreciate any information any one can give me on how to parent verify this foal.

I am presuming you mean the stallion is Homozygous, not Heterozygous.??

Is the foal completely solid??

Is there any white at all??

Sorry Rabbittsfizz, Yes, Homozygous is what I meant I used the wrong spelling.

Just so upset about this whole thing.

Yes she has redish body with black mane and tail and black hooves, no white anywhere on her.

And I forgot to say that they are both AMHR registered.

Last edited by a moderator:
[SIZE=14pt]What color is the mother? I have known of solid appearing horses to be genetically a pinto. If however it turns out that the other stallion is indeed the sire, a new report can be filed and the filly can still be registered. Dna testing cost is about 40 dollars. I would say that the stallion OWNER should be responsible for all fees incurred in proving parentage since he made the mistake in the breeding. If I was that stallion owner , I would also offer a free rebreeding to the correct stallion but that is just me.[/SIZE]

Lyn

There is always a chance the homozygous test was wrong.

[SIZE=12pt][/SIZE]

I would appreciate any information any one can give me on how to parent verify this foal.
You'll have to get the foal DNA tested, and then have the results tested against the other stallions' DNA results.

I'm sorry that this is such a mess for you. It does sound like the stallion owner is working to help you, which is good. I'm with Lyn too-- hopefully he will give you a free re-breed to the RIGHT stallion, if the wrong one was bred to your mare last time. Good luck, and congratulations on your new filly!

I have heard of and seen people calling their horses homozygous when they are "guessing" at it, too.

There are pinto marked horses out of and by pinto parents that are NOT homozygous, and then when they have a solid baby, this is called into question, and they actually DO the test.

Lyn is right, though, that owner should be bearing the financial burden of this dilemma. If he doesn't, I would contact the registry and let them know how you were treated.

I am sorry for this, it seems like a really inept mistake, though I know some big farms have a lot going on and everyone makes 'em (mistakes). Still, there are ways that things can be made "right" in my opinion, and it doesn't sound like they are doing that.

Liz M.

That's Lyn_j for the information. The mother is a solid bay, so that was why I wanted a homozygous stallion to bred her to so I could get some color. I know the parents to my mare are both bays.

The stallion's owner has be very nice about it, and did offer me a rebreeding next year, but he did not offer to pay for any of the fees for having my foal DNA.

But I want to get papers on her. If it comes back showing that she was put on the wrong stallion report, will AMHR except a new stallion report with the same dates under another stallion, with the DNA to verify it?

Oh, I am so afraid that I have a nice little filly and no papers to go with her. :no:

I have learned a valuable lesson and that is to have all my foals parent verified, you never know what can happen. It's an understandable mistake, but I just hope it can be corrected, I wanted so much to show her next year.

I believe the stallion owner can (and I feel if he messed up he should) file a late breeding report, and with the DNA your filly should be able to be registerred without problem.

Another suggestion! Never hurts to ask?, instead of waiting for next breeding, ask him to take the new filly in exchange for your choice of pinto filly born this year, that can be registered. Than you are finished with all the headache.

His fault let him deal with it
default_frusty.gif
:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back